General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
-
Chris Chia
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10
Post
by Chris Chia » 03 May 2013, 06:50
Ok i seem to be able to make it work.
1. Create your envelope on grid.
2. Do your animation on grid.
3. Create grid1 and have the mimic setup with reference to grid.
4. Do your weightmap.
5. It works (See file attached [for XSI 2014 only]).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Post
by rray » 03 May 2013, 07:20
Hi all, this certainly resolves the first problem Paul described in the video, but this is static wm data. The second issue Paul described (The new 2014 syflex feature of being able to access Syflex per point) -- is imho a bigger one and still stands.
Probably obvious, I'm just double checking, just was worried this might get buried by having this "smaller" issue resolved.
It would be wonderful to be able to simulate things for example cloth falling into water, by simply having ICE write a different stiffness value if pointposition Y is < zero.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Post
by Pooby » 03 May 2013, 09:19
Thanks Chris.
I know about the Mimic 'workaround' thing, but, surely by default it would be better to have the Cloth blending between cloth and whatever was beneath it in the stack rather than - cloth and No deformation at all.
Then you wouldnt need the extra Mimic step and it would be elegant.
And yes, +1 to the per point updating.. This is the bigger issue here, and the thing that I think got us all excited about having Syflex in ICE initially.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 03 May 2013, 19:07
Chris Chia wrote:Ok, it didn't work. I will file it under improvement.
As for the crashes, please do send the CER so that we could try to fix the crash
I wish I could do that, but I'm done with the 2014 nightmare. Maybe some of you are OK with it, but whatever I was doing was making some serious problems for me. The final straw was when a Softimage crash made Win 7 lock up. Win 7 never locks up.
-
Chris Chia
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10
Post
by Chris Chia » 06 May 2013, 02:29
adrencg wrote:Chris Chia wrote:Ok, it didn't work. I will file it under improvement.
As for the crashes, please do send the CER so that we could try to fix the crash
I wish I could do that, but I'm done with the 2014 nightmare. Maybe some of you are OK with it, but whatever I was doing was making some serious problems for me. The final straw was when a Softimage crash made Win 7 lock up. Win 7 never locks up.
Whenever users encounter any crash, they should click send report when they see the CER dialog box. It would not only assist us but also help other users so that this problem could be looked into.
Win 7 lock up? what were you doing?
Any form of repro steps or provide us with scene file could help the community alot instead of just telling us it's a nightmare...

-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Post
by Draise » 06 May 2013, 02:38
Chris Chia wrote:
Whenever users encounter any crash, they should click send report when they see the CER dialog box. It would not only assist us but also help other users so that this problem could be looked into.
Win 7 lock up? what were you doing?
Any form of repro steps or provide us with scene file could help the community alot instead of just telling us it's a nightmare...

Good advice. ;)
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 06 May 2013, 19:46
Chris Chia wrote:adrencg wrote:Chris Chia wrote:Ok, it didn't work. I will file it under improvement.
As for the crashes, please do send the CER so that we could try to fix the crash
I wish I could do that, but I'm done with the 2014 nightmare. Maybe some of you are OK with it, but whatever I was doing was making some serious problems for me. The final straw was when a Softimage crash made Win 7 lock up. Win 7 never locks up.
Whenever users encounter any crash, they should click send report when they see the CER dialog box. It would not only assist us but also help other users so that this problem could be looked into.
Win 7 lock up? what were you doing?
Any form of repro steps or provide us with scene file could help the community alot instead of just telling us it's a nightmare...

There was almost never anything specific I was doing...that's the worst part. I could be doing anything as simple as moving a point, or just opening the ICE tree. I'll keep your advice in mind when I start using 2014 again, but I have some work to get done and 2013 will be better and more stable for that. I can't keep losing work over and over because I forgot to save.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 29 May 2013, 22:35
Objects were not saved normally.
What is that? I've been seeing it for years. I have to start deleting objects until I find the one that's causing that message. Sometimes its an object I need.
Also, when this starts happening, why does it make all of the backup scenes crash XSI upon trying to open them? Hope this helps figure out some things to make XSI more stable.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 31 May 2013, 14:32
I've been back in 2014 for a few days after not needing Softimage for anything crucial/job related(been using 2013 sp1 instead).
I've been getting a ton of crashes (without an error report box) and it's almost strictly when dealing with ICE Syflex. Crashed about 25 times yesterday. I wish I could isolate my problems to anything specific, but I'm very careful when using Syflex in 2014 and I save constantly because I never know when a crash will come. Sometimes, it's when moving a vertex of an ICE Syflex object, or sometimes it's when I start a sim. I also noticed that weight painting on the object can be volatile also. If I start to notice a specific pattern that makes a crash, I'll try to post again.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 24 Jun 2013, 00:33
Maybe better luck with sp1.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 26 Jun 2013, 15:05
A lot of crashing with weight map painting is what I'm noticing.
-
caledonian_tartan
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13
Post
by caledonian_tartan » 26 Jun 2013, 15:13
i noticed SP1 is much more stable, but i get a very big lag using the search box of the render tree/ice tree.
has anyone else noticed this? it's VERY annoying and it pretty much kills the fun of searching (and using) ice nodes...
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Post
by xsisupport » 26 Jun 2013, 15:45
caledonian_tartan wrote:i noticed SP1 is much more stable, but i get a very big lag using the search box of the render tree/ice tree.
has anyone else noticed this? it's VERY annoying and it pretty much kills the fun of searching (and using) ice nodes...
Nope. Does this happen even with an empty scene, or do you need one of your work scenes loaded?
And when's the lag happen? Opening the search panel, or after you type something in the search box.
And 2014 still works perfectly fine?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs:
Arnold |
Softimage
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Post
by xsisupport » 26 Jun 2013, 15:45
caledonian_tartan wrote:i noticed SP1 is much more stable, but i get a very big lag using the search box of the render tree/ice tree.
has anyone else noticed this? it's VERY annoying and it pretty much kills the fun of searching (and using) ice nodes...
Nope. Does this happen even with an empty scene, or do you need one of your work scenes loaded?
And when's the lag happen? Opening the search panel, or after you type something in the search box.
And 2014 still works perfectly fine?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs:
Arnold |
Softimage
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Post
by adrencg » 26 Jun 2013, 21:23
Just got a crash switching to animation construction mode. This is without a doubt the most unstable version of XSi I've seen since 2010.
I would abandon it all together if I didn't have so much money tied up in it --plus all my plugin purchases.
-
Ahmidou
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 13:00
Post
by Ahmidou » 27 Jun 2013, 05:25
Did you reported it or sent the CER? This would help.