Softimage 2014
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: Softimage 2014
I guess I'm in the minority then, I don't mind the new logo, and it fits well (or equally badly depending on your pov) with the rest of the autodesk products. Not that its that important, and the release is definitely lacklustre compared to previous years. Don't think I'm ready to throw in the towel just yet though, still some life left in the ugly duck.
-
Sil3
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:17
Re: Softimage 2014
AlexanderM wrote:New "HQ" viewport so super slow and laggy that the demonstrator is afraid to press Sagain (2 years of development of this...I do not know how to call it)
I know.. but I'm afraid to tell it here because i could be banned
Ok someone explain to me what are those "nice" screenshoots like for example:
- Skinning, weighting, and constraints
- Nondestructive 3D character rigging toolset
- Hair and Fur
Are they just place holders to some videos or what are they?
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Softimage 2014
Pancho wrote:t4d,
I wished you could put all your anger and disappointment into something useful like a plug in or an ice compound which could make a difference and some of us happy. As much as I'm disappointed myself the ongoing moaning of yours starts to become a burden in this forum.
Listening to you one starts to believe that SI actually became worse with the new release than it has been before. As much as a new feature would make us all happy and give us the impression that AD is caring for us and SI, is there anything currently you can't do with SI?
I guess we still got one of the most reliable work horses out there ... And if the horse does all the work, I don't bother when it doesn't come in pink.
Cheers
Finally... someone with some sense. A tool is a tool. It only is great if you use it right, right?
I'd love for some more tutorials, content, competitions, art, shared techniques and the like. Softimage is not a weak program at all, quite capable of anything. A community that attracts artists and studios by their content produced by it and their openness to improve and use what already is there may make a better difference over... complaining.
Please but rage into shared knowlegde and art and techniques. the more people see awesome stuff and wonder.... "how was that made?!" then we as a community can say "in Softimage." then the newbie will want Si, autodesk will see more interest, and viola.. a drop in the bucket.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: Softimage 2014
Unfortunately that is wrong approach. Today you can make great art with every app, even Blender as free one. What artist want today is ease of use, great support, fast bugfixing, continuity in adding new features, for app to follow current standards (Alembic, VDB), etc ... Those are criteria that needs to be met. You are paying AD, no one here get SI for free, except people that are working in studios (but that is different story).
I know that T4D is, maybe, bit hard on words, but also please do not show so much of subservient mentality. You guys are just showing that AD can give you product that is basically 2 years old, and charge you for that twice. This is what many are talking about here. Do not mix that with disliking SI. People like T4D are trying to press AD to work harder, if possible with this amount of resources, so we all get more for money we pay. That is exactly same in every other industry, and how buyers are behaving if they feel that they do not get enough for money they payed.
I know that T4D is, maybe, bit hard on words, but also please do not show so much of subservient mentality. You guys are just showing that AD can give you product that is basically 2 years old, and charge you for that twice. This is what many are talking about here. Do not mix that with disliking SI. People like T4D are trying to press AD to work harder, if possible with this amount of resources, so we all get more for money we pay. That is exactly same in every other industry, and how buyers are behaving if they feel that they do not get enough for money they payed.
- H -
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: Softimage 2014
Amen to that.SreckoM wrote:Unfortunately that is wrong approach. Today you can make great art with every app, even Blender as free one. What artist want today is ease of use, great support, fast bugfixing, continuity in adding new features, for app to follow current standards (Alembic, VDB), etc ... Those are criteria that needs to be met. You are paying AD, no one here get SI for free, except people that are working in studios (but that is different story).
I know that T4D is, maybe, bit hard on words, but also please do not show so much of subservient mentality. You guys are just showing that AD can give you product that is basically 2 years old, and charge you for that twice. This is what many are talking about here. Do not mix that with disliking SI. People like T4D are trying to press AD to work harder, if possible with this amount of resources, so we all get more for money we pay. That is exactly same in every other industry, and how buyers are behaving if they feel that they do not get enough for money they payed.
Maya has 8 (instead of 5) new features, but 3 of them are from the extension!
They are trying to fool their customers. On and on and on. And sadly they succeed in so many cases....
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Softimage 2014
Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
http://www.autodesk.com/products
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: Softimage 2014
so? in the dropdown list it isn´t even mentioned.EricTRocks wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: Softimage 2014
I've come up against several of these bugs, glad to see a decent amount squashed in this bugfix list.
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/s ... e-2014.htm
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/s ... e-2014.htm
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Softimage 2014
OK, maybe it's not update for you cause it's smack dab in the middle of the screen.Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:so? in the dropdown list it isn´t even mentioned.EricTRocks wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3533340/si_ima ... oducts.png
-
Pixel_Tofu
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 15:13
Re: Softimage 2014
I noticed this also. Very poor showing for SI. And we can see most of R&D went into a new website and logo designs.EricTRocks wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
Maya has new modelling tool set!!! (Ummm a tool set that has been around for many years called NEX)... I just wonder how hard and how long it takes to get an existing tool and plugin it into the UI?
Enhanced Nitrous viewport!! in 3ds Max!!! (Oh it actually works the way we wanted it to now!)
And we pay every year like good little boys and girls our subscription fees in hope of new things... and quite frankly they don't have to be yearly but would be great if they were new and innovative.
You have 3rd party guys like Eric and the Exocortex team actually making and pushing plugins and ideas to enhance users workflows etc... and makes SI exciting again!
but AD has us by the man parts.. so what can you do!
-
Pixel_Tofu
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 15:13
Re: Softimage 2014
I think that image is after you press ALL PRODUCTS unfortunately from the front page.EricTRocks wrote:OK, maybe it's not update for you cause it's smack dab in the middle of the screen.Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:so? in the dropdown list it isn´t even mentioned.EricTRocks wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3533340/si_ima ... oducts.png
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: Softimage 2014
Do they? Only if you let them.Pixel_Tofu wrote:
but AD has us by the man parts.. so what can you do!
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: Softimage 2014
There´s also a lot NOT showing up here. And Fixes in the Camera Sequencer already? Great.mattmos wrote:I've come up against several of these bugs, glad to see a decent amount squashed in this bugfix list.
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/s ... e-2014.htm
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Softimage 2014
Oh right, nothing is ever good enough I forgot.Pixel_Tofu wrote:I think that image is after you press ALL PRODUCTS unfortunately from the front page.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Softimage 2014
Not sure if this is sarcastic, if it is, I'll say that the fixes were done during the beta. Good thing you have beta testers for bugs like those may not be done before they get to the release.Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:There´s also a lot NOT showing up here. And Fixes in the Camera Sequencer already? Great.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage 2014
That's for people who were on the beta, so they know that issues reported late in the cycle were fixed. The doc team forgot to put the the standard disclaimer, which looks like this:Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:And Fixes in the Camera Sequencer already? Great.mattmos wrote:I've come up against several of these bugs, glad to see a decent amount squashed in this bugfix list.
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/s ... e-2014.htm
edit: replace "the put" with "put the"Please note that some of these issues were introduced and fixed exclusively within the Softimage 2011 development cycle and are listed here simply as a reference for users who participated in the Beta program.
Last edited by xsisupport on 26 Mar 2013, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.