SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Cloud Shmoud!
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
HQ viewport looks really good, not sure how it behaves with lots of geometry though.
ICE additions are nice.
I do not see much of use for CrowdFX in my everyday work, and that seems to be the biggest addition.
Here is 3dsMax 2013 list if someone is interested http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/3ds_ ... _announced
Maya http://area.autodesk.com/products/features/maya
ICE additions are nice.
I do not see much of use for CrowdFX in my everyday work, and that seems to be the biggest addition.
Here is 3dsMax 2013 list if someone is interested http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/ken/3ds_ ... _announced
Maya http://area.autodesk.com/products/features/maya
Last edited by SreckoM on 27 Mar 2012, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
- H -
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
1000 crowd characters at 10 frames on 12 core machineSonarPhoton wrote:http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/softimage_2013

-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
That viewport looks great and USEFUL. I like how it closely matches software rendering and supports procedurals!
Great work SI team!!!
Great work SI team!!!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
viewport seemed really slow to me, and didnt have lots of objects going on, also it was used with a quadro.. i wonder what happens with a geforce average card, and a whole scene textured..
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Yes, viewport is the thing I like more. But seems slow (and I suppose they using a monster machine for their preview). In any case, don't need rotate or pan, but it is (like they said) a fast alternative to render preview.
I was sure they will not give anything similar to maya or max viewport (is similar to nitro viewportor or I'm wrong?) , for differentiate the products. Seems the three work independently (next release we can see a crowd simulation for maya or max?
Like end user, AD marketing confusing me a "bit"
Rendering improvement is not transcendental but like it. Was curious about mental ray version in this release (complete 3.9 feature set?
I'm sure I'll never using crowd simulation, but pleased can play with it
I was sure they will not give anything similar to maya or max viewport (is similar to nitro viewportor or I'm wrong?) , for differentiate the products. Seems the three work independently (next release we can see a crowd simulation for maya or max?
Like end user, AD marketing confusing me a "bit"
Rendering improvement is not transcendental but like it. Was curious about mental ray version in this release (complete 3.9 feature set?
I'm sure I'll never using crowd simulation, but pleased can play with it
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
i hope they put in all the ibl stuff finally. the same for the new sss shaders.
good to see that you can use now fg and ip's together officially. nice render region addition and also the "local" tag is nice, small but nice. ;)
good to see that you can use now fg and ip's together officially. nice render region addition and also the "local" tag is nice, small but nice. ;)
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
It seems ridiculously slow. I might as well drag up a render region and leave it on auto update. Which is what I've been doing for many years, and it works great.Nizar wrote:Yes, viewport is the thing I like more. But seems slow (and I suppose they using a monster machine for their preview). In any case, don't need rotate or pan, but it is (like they said) a fast alternative to render preview
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Just to clarify: Chinny states in his viewport video he is using a Quadro FX 4800, this card was first presented in 2008 and might be considered a high-end but "previous-generation" card...Nizar wrote:and I suppose they using a monster machine for their preview
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I am only concerned how much that cooking time will grow with more materials in scene.
- H -
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
so has anyone heard any mention of the street date for this? or when maintenance users will get it?
-
fabilabo
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 12:13
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I dont know maya and 3ds but both look have HUGUE update, specially 3DS, but maybe im wrong...
I wonder if the viewport works with vray, arnold, and all 3rd party rendering, because become useless to SI.
It's funny to see differences between SI preview viewport scene (an old crap scene with 150 polys) and the maya one, colored, nice looking etc
One more update useless to me
I wonder if the viewport works with vray, arnold, and all 3rd party rendering, because become useless to SI.
It's funny to see differences between SI preview viewport scene (an old crap scene with 150 polys) and the maya one, colored, nice looking etc
One more update useless to me
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
According to comments on the list other shaders such as Vray and Arnold can work with the new viewport with minor updates.
I thought the Maya update looked pretty light compared to SI. Max seems pretty major but it's a lot of old stuff that should have been done years ago.
I thought the Maya update looked pretty light compared to SI. Max seems pretty major but it's a lot of old stuff that should have been done years ago.
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
SreckoM wrote:I am only concerned how much that cooking time will grow with more materials in scene.
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... 8;start=34luceric wrote:it doesn't bake textures. the lighting and procedural shaders are all running on the GPU.
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
youre wrong.
all releases look 'solid', max is mostly fixing things from previous releases, massfx introduced in 2012 is outdated physx, the render pass system introduced in 2012 sap is a design/workflow joke, I thought they will kill it and start over again, etc.
Also I don't see those 'millions' of $$ pumped into maya (Luc?)
as for SI i think they rushed viewport stuff, its not that important.
Looking back I think it's the weakest release, of course people doing crowd sims will say something completly different but...
Maybe they should go back to 2 years relase cycle...
all releases look 'solid', max is mostly fixing things from previous releases, massfx introduced in 2012 is outdated physx, the render pass system introduced in 2012 sap is a design/workflow joke, I thought they will kill it and start over again, etc.
Also I don't see those 'millions' of $$ pumped into maya (Luc?)
as for SI i think they rushed viewport stuff, its not that important.
Looking back I think it's the weakest release, of course people doing crowd sims will say something completly different but...
Maybe they should go back to 2 years relase cycle...
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
The one big f***ing awesome thing for me is an updated Build Array From Set compound that speeded up and works with locations and set of topo's now. I'll probably cut it and paste into my SI 2012 directory 
Last edited by iamVFX on 27 Mar 2012, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.