ICE: For TDs only?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Chris_TC » 09 Jul 2011, 14:30

Pooby wrote:One might assume from its name that object context data can be used in per point, or poly, but thats not what it does at all.
Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought it does. I thought it's some magical node that eliminates all context errors forever. Well, until I tried it. :D

Speaking of contexts: how does Houdini handle this? I've watched a bunch of videos, but I've never seen them dealing with what we call context in ICE. Any pro who can shed some light on it?

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Nizar » 10 Jul 2011, 16:44

I'd like to know why people say softimage's modelling , texturing rendering is behind other packages. I find it almost comprehensively superb, having used lightwave and modo previously. I also study rigging in all packages for research and the standard SI toolset for this seems leagues ahead too in ease of use and application.
Agree, after try both (modo and XSI) I find far better XSI. Modo modelling workflow is fragmented if compared to XSI. Only in Architectural modelling modo is more fast in some points. I don't mean XSI tools are perfect, I find it better, more fast and flexible (but perfectible).

After tutorials and tutorials and tutorials (ooooold tutorials...), I think the only real weak point is rendering. ICE, totally stranger for me, but I don't know if I need or not (never try it), actually I don't see any reason to upgrading for only new ice node/evolution.

I have interest in ICE kinematic tutorials, would see if it a better option the classic rigging/skinning.

User avatar
pdesopo
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jul 2011, 21:49

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by pdesopo » 10 Jul 2011, 19:52

Hi all,

I'm new here. Just wanted to tell about my initial approach to SI.
I've used C4D in the last 11 years and Blender in the last 3. My interest about Blender is mainly due to what I wasn't happy about C4D: wanted a faster and better modelling tool, faster view port and initially hoped to get a more powerful particle system. Even if I've got what I hoped about the modelling tools and the view port, unfortunately the particle development lags. After all Blender is maintained by volunteers and only a few paid developers, thus cannot ask more then what I get.
C4D MoGraph is a great tool, despite over used nowadays. But soon or later with MoGraph you'll hit the wall: hard to handle the scene with lot of cloned objects (even with low LOD) and even though there are several options to create interesting results, at the end you use tools ready-to-go, i.e. they are not customizable at least you get your hands dirty and use Xpresso.

Now, why should I be interested in SI, and especially ICE a node system while I could already use Xpresso on C4D, just another node system? Well, I think that the gut feeling plays a big role here. I never felt comfortable with Xpresso, probably due to its gui. So, what's so different with ICE? Even if I still don't completely understand what I'm doing when I connect nodes. I'm starting to get a clue of how things work with ICE. Anyway, to me it simply looks 'close' to the artist view. Ok, I guess that to get complex stuff you need to be an advanced user. I'll probably never be that user as I'm lazy with math stuff and the free time is really little. But the thing is I want to use it mainly as a tool, as long as I can get what I need from it. And the feeling is that I can get a lot from it. I already did a few basic particle simulation that I never did in Cinema in 11 years. Nothing special, but it gives me a sense of the potential. And I guess I'll find some support here the moment I'll need to create something behind my skills.

Working with C4D it's quite flawless, but the *ready-to-go* approach has many limits. If I need something more, I'm in trouble.
One more reason to stay away from pre-built tools, is that at the end everyone will do the same thing. Just have a look at a few mograph websites and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yet still useful for quick stuff when the pitch is ending soon.

I can see Max's point about using a tool as an artist rather then spending time with math and complex stuff. But that's the tricky part of the story. I'm now tired of MoGraph repetitiveness (and btw C4D view port slowness and the 'mograph' look of its render engine), so as artist it seems I'm using a *closed* tool whereas I need more to experiment. But also I don't want to spend time with scripts or mathematical problems, I want to use a tool to create what I need. Well, as already stated the perfect tool doesn't exist. I'll not go with Houdini as, at first glance, it seems ever more complicated. Therefore if I want a bit more of MoGraph it seems to me that ICE is the perfect solution. And as with *every* tool a training is required.

Now, it's interesting that the same thing that makes Max disappointed about SI is also the same thing that can get new users interested in SI. Probably there's no proper answer, as each 3D artist has different needs. The only thing I can say is that at the end when I need to model I open Blender, for some render quality, again Blender (especially now that Cycles appeared). For quick MoGraph stuff I've C4D. Hope to add SI as new weapon when it comes to create something more complex. And lastly I'm of course excited about MR.
Sorry for the long post.

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Memag » 11 Jul 2011, 12:55

Don't know if this can help Maximus, at this point, but maybe you can use old Helge's Motiongraphics Addon 2.0?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Jul 2011, 13:09

No, I'm afraid that won't work, as that plugin was based on the "old" particle system AFAIK and that doesn't exist anymore, since SI2011.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Memag » 11 Jul 2011, 13:13

Some people still use v6. I know this guy does (this was not a deliberate critique aimed at current modeling tool set of SI).
Wasn't there an Ice mograph compound?
Last edited by Memag on 11 Jul 2011, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Jul 2011, 13:18

Memag wrote:Some people still use v6.
Valid point!
Memag wrote:Wasn't there an Ice mograph compound?
Yes there was: si-community thread
We even "host/mirror" the file
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Nizar » 12 Jul 2011, 07:04

Working with C4D it's quite flawless, but the *ready-to-go* approach has many limits. If I need something more, I'm in trouble.
One more reason to stay away from pre-built tools, is that at the end everyone will do the same thing. Just have a look at a few mograph websites and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yet still useful for quick stuff when the pitch is ending soon.
Welcome in SI community :)
Your is a good point, but have you just tried ICE or is it only your first impression?

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Maximus » 12 Jul 2011, 07:33

Memag wrote:Don't know if this can help Maximus, at this point, but maybe you can use old Helge's Motiongraphics Addon 2.0?
Thanks Memag, already know that addon :)

What actually would help me is a better Mental Ray integration that doesnt lag every render region and implements all the features of this render engine, a unit system, a DWG importer, a revamp of curve tools, better Unfold and UV tool, better Shader presets system, more modeling tools, more presets, more viewport feedback, more deformers, an update of the UI, an update of the FXTree.


Max

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Memag » 12 Jul 2011, 11:39

Maximus wrote:
Thanks Memag, already know that addon :)

What actually would help me is a better Mental Ray integration that doesnt lag every render region and implements all the features of this render engine, a unit system, a DWG importer, a revamp of curve tools, better Unfold and UV tool, better Shader presets system, more modeling tools, more presets, more viewport feedback, more deformers, an update of the UI, an update of the FXTree.


Max
Hi Max.
While you wait you can try:

-3delight free version
-Curve Tools by Eugen Sares
-Curve Tools by GOTETZ

I don't think unit system and UI will change.
I also think that the future of SI is very exciting as it gained some extra muscle through ICe.
Folks at SI did a marvelous job on a "freaking new particle system" that was demanded years ago.
Who knows how the new modeling tool set would look like, when we compare ICE to a particle system.

I'd like to see more viewport interaction.
Also, price is very important factor.
Things are certainly in motion.

Interesting mailing list thread

Cheers!

User avatar
pdesopo
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jul 2011, 21:49

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by pdesopo » 13 Jul 2011, 18:05

Nizar wrote:
Working with C4D it's quite flawless, but the *ready-to-go* approach has many limits. If I need something more, I'm in trouble.
One more reason to stay away from pre-built tools, is that at the end everyone will do the same thing. Just have a look at a few mograph websites and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yet still useful for quick stuff when the pitch is ending soon.
Welcome in SI community :)
Thanks :)
Your is a good point, but have you just tried ICE or is it only your first impression?
Well, I'm starting to take a look at SI and ICE, just a few tutorials. The first steps seem pretty easy to follow but I'm sure the hard part will come when I'll look for more complex stuff.

User avatar
Zabander
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Jul 2011, 04:10

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Zabander » 19 Jul 2011, 05:56

Softimage is moving to the TD and visual effects path...ICE is the only improvement AD is doing, im trying to move from max to SI but this makes it complicated and risky

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Pooby » 19 Jul 2011, 08:40

You cant just talk about ICE as if its a feature.

Indirectly speaking, Softimage have enabled to be brought to us, the users, An Unprecedented amount of useful and powerful totally integrated additions to Softimage in the last few years. If these features were listed out of context of ICE ( 2 good hair systems, numerous new constraints, blendable skinning between linear and Quaternion, dynamic weightmaps, many new deformers etc. The list would be very long ) and added by Autodesk themselves, people would be rejoicing, yet to the end user there makes no difference, unless you ignore them because you think they'll probably be too complicated, because they're to do with ICE. As the user you have all these tools up your sleeves.

Also it is incorrect to say that ICE is not the only area of development, There was a recent post from a developmer on the Softimage mailing list about this . I cant remember the exact figure but It makes up something like 20% of development resources.

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Memag » 19 Jul 2011, 10:04

Zabander wrote:ICE is the only improvement AD is doing
So, why are you moving from Max to SI if there no improvement?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Jul 2011, 14:41

It's really not all that strange, that people perceive Softimage development to be totally ICE-centric, even if it technically speaking is not. Look at what Luc-Eric Rousseau calls "Main Themes" in this post over at the Mailing List. Looking from the POV of an outsider, it isn't hard to see, why some people might think SI2011 wás ICE Kinematics, SI2011.5 wás Lagoa and SI2012 wás/ís ICE Modeling.
And as we all know, especially in this business, it's all about perception (not necessarily about the cold hard facts)...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Zabander
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Jul 2011, 04:10

Re: ICE: For TDs only?

Post by Zabander » 19 Jul 2011, 15:51

im moving bacause 3ds max has a lot of problems now, especially with bugs, in the office the team have decided to move to other package that resolves the issues. We had projects in 2011 that cant work in 2012 and the bugs are now fixed after 2 HF and 1 SP, in UI is slow also.I begin to test other software, like maya but SI has a great UI, smooth, fast, few bugs people say( noone that i have found) and very powerful and makes it a good choise...but im afraid that SI is moving to TD seat, and AD is trying to convert SI in a TD-VFX software to complement maya and 3ds max..In my office we use one software or try to do it for all the staff and we dont want to use the Entertainment Creation Suite (4 in 1)