Why S key?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 10 May 2011, 11:19

Chris_TC wrote:I don't find it difficult to switch from S navigation to ALT navigation in other applications, but I much prefer S because it allows me to put my hand naturally on the left side of the keyboard, with the pinky on Ctrl, the middle finger on S and the thumb on spacebar.
For ALT navigation I need to pull my thumb awkwardly towards the left, away from the natural position on the spacebar.

I practically never use the manipulators in sticky mode. You should hold down the key instead of tapping it.

Example:
  • Tap I to enter sticky raycast edge selection
    Left-click-drag to select some edges
    Hold down V to move those edges
    Release V, you are now back in raycast edge selection
    Alt-middle-click on an an edge to select the loop
    Hold down C to rotate those edges
    Release C, you are now back in raycast edge selection
As for the ALT navigation, I put the middle of my palm at the edge of the keyboard and ALT/ Spacebar are pretty much the same effort for the thumb.
I do all the manipulation and selection with index finger. I didn't find it excruciating at all. And that will save my pinky for poking nose when I turn 80.
I think it's good to have multiple choices when it comes to using the program. In the end, it depends on how big is your hand and what is more comfortable.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Why S key?

Post by Chris_TC » 10 May 2011, 12:23

Memag wrote:As for the ALT navigation, I put the middle of my palm at the edge of the keyboard and ALT/ Spacebar are pretty much the same effort for the thumb.
I do all the manipulation and selection with index finger.
This works good for navigating, but with the palm at the edge of the keyboard, C and V are completely out of reach for my index finger.
Anyway, it's all about what we're used to, and it's good that we can configure things however we like.

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 10 May 2011, 12:29

True. I use c/v for crease/weld. QWER for manipulation.
Guess I'm too lazy to remember all the shortcuts from all the programs I use ,
so I just use ALT as I frequently use it in other 3d/2d softwrs.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 06 Jun 2011, 10:32

I have tried the Memag keymapping, but prefer too the S key navigation (when you take a habit...) Also, the Loop selection on Q key (for use the Sticky key ability) is a great idea IMO, can I replicate with S key interaction mode? Unfortunately Alt key in S interaction mode is no sticky, and I find this slow down the modelling process.

Another point: can I map "polygon island" (from TAB Select)? It is the some command I like in modo for selecting an entire polygon island, I don't find it in keymapping

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Why S key?

Post by origin » 06 Jun 2011, 10:42

Open script editor,
paste into it Application.SetSelFilter("Polygon_Island"),
select this line and drag and drop it to your toolbar,
pick script command, enter some unique name for it (like Select Poly Island).
Then you can map a key for this command (it will be visible in keyboard mapping->custom script commands)

You can script like this many things in si. If you click around softimage, almost everything is logged in scirpt editor. You can paste those script lines to toolbar to make script commands and map keys to these scripts.

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Why S key?

Post by Memag » 06 Jun 2011, 10:51

Nizar wrote:I have tried the Memag keymapping, but prefer too the S key navigation (when you take a habit...) Also, the Loop selection on Q key (for use the Sticky key ability) is a great idea IMO, can I replicate with S key interaction mode? Unfortunately Alt key in S interaction mode is no sticky, and I find this slow down the modelling process.
Find "select tool" group in keyboard mapping wizard, and set "select component range/loop" to your current select tool key.
Also you can use wonderful RC tools with various fill, complete all, grow/shrink , walk loop and custom filter commands.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 06 Jun 2011, 10:59

RC Tools work with SI 2011 64 bit?
Open script editor,
paste into it Application.SetSelFilter("Polygon_Island"),
select this line and drag and drop it to your toolbar,
pick script command, enter some unique name for it (like Select Poly Island).
Then you can map a key for this command (it will be visible in keyboard mapping->custom script commands)

You can script like this many things in si. If you click around softimage, almost everything is logged in scirpt editor. You can paste those script lines to toolbar to make script commands and map keys to these scripts.
Hey, thanks origin! :) I try soon this (script editor is for me a total stranger)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why S key?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jun 2011, 11:07

Nizar wrote:RC Tools work with SI 2011 64 bit?
rctools compiled for 64-bit Softimage 2011
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Why S key?

Post by rray » 06 Jun 2011, 12:18

The new version 4.5 should e work with 2010-2012 (I tested 2011 and 2012 only)
http://rray.de/xsi/rctools/
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 06 Jun 2011, 12:39

Hi have some problem with script editor... :ymblushing:
Open script editor,
OK, it is the stylized parchment icon, right?
paste into it Application.SetSelFilter("Polygon_Island"),
Ok, after did Polygon island command I find in script editor low window the string [SetSelfFilter "Polygon_Inslad"], now I must copy and paste in it in upper script editor window?
select this line and drag and drop it to your toolbar,
Sorry, here don't undestood...
pick script command, enter some unique name for it (like Select Poly Island).
What do you mean for "Pick script command"?
Then you can map a key for this command (it will be visible in keyboard mapping->custom script commands)
I saved the script in a default cartel (script), but I don't find it in Custom script command.
Sorry, as I wrote, script are total stranger for me...

thanks RRay and Hirazi, I download soon :)

Biped Guide
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 May 2011, 13:44

Re: Why S key?

Post by Biped Guide » 06 Jun 2011, 14:38

I love the S key for navigation - so comfortable!
I have to use Maya from time to time and I use Mudbox too, but I do get used to switching back and forth and having to use the Alt key.
I also bought the Z Switcher for Z Brush that makes for a Maya-like navigation in Z Brush, using the Alt key instead of having to deal with ZBrush's silly ways.
I do wish though that I could remap them all to S in every application, and I wouldn't ever even think about changing the Softimage way from S to Alt. :D
At least it's not like 3ds max - Worst. Navigation. Ever. ;)

The only thing that gets me is when I switch to Maya after using Soft for a while it takes me a few minutes to get back into "Alt key mode" and I had to disable the S key shortcut in Maya since I often hit it by accident. The S key in Maya sets a keyframe on a selected object, so it's not a good key to be hitting accidentally all the time. ;)