General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Post
by owei » 11 Apr 2011, 09:45
..you are right, Helli. I´m wondering also, how this could happen.
Anyway, I´ve posted something about this thread and rendering issues at the mailing list.
cheers,
oliver
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Post
by Rork » 11 Apr 2011, 10:04
You're assuming this wasn't reported during the beta.......
I can't find the exact threads on this, but it had something to do with the way the new MR is calculating stuff. Especially with FG and such....
Not making any claims a -slower- MR is a thing to accept.
It's making me look at Arnold even more closely......
rob
-
Helli
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21
Post
by Helli » 11 Apr 2011, 10:08
Yep Rork, this is why I said I don't want to blame anyone. Because I don't know how it happend.
At least there is 3dlight allready out there and Arnold/vray for some of us.
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Post
by owei » 11 Apr 2011, 10:23
@rork
If I understand you right...this could mean, "it´s not a bug, it´s a feature"..?
Makes me wonder though, why other packages (max, maya..) don´t show this issue (as posted above)...
None the less. If I have to wait minutes to get a rendering started, I can´t work with it...
best,
oliver
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Post
by Rork » 11 Apr 2011, 10:33
hehehe... I'm not snapping at you guys.
And I'm wondering the same thing: do Max and Maya suffer more or less from the same thing?? Or better said, is there any difference in post-processing scenes in 2011 or 2012 versions?
It irritates me that I can't find the threads on this. There was a explanation on some of the slowdowns experienced during the beta's..
rob
Last edited by Rork on 11 Apr 2011, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Post
by Maximus » 11 Apr 2011, 10:37
Hi, i've tested max and maya, same scene, same amount of geometry and the difference is insane, max and maya both start immediately the render, while softimage hangs on some absurd pre-cache phase or something, then it renders and it even renders slower.
There must be something wrong for sure, i seriously doubt this is a Mental Ray "feature" because the difference between xsi 2011 and 2012 with same scene is incredible (in worse).
Lets see what AD guys say about it but i really hope it get fixed soon, its completely unusable with mental ray.
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Post
by owei » 11 Apr 2011, 10:38
hehehe... I'm not snapping at you guys.
...we know that, my friend ;)
Like Origin tested earlier in this thread:
I also have tested 3dsmax 2011-2012, and translation time in 2012 is actualy abit faster >tested on 2541 teapots, 2.6 mln polys, translation time is 3 seconds <
edit: funny thing, I brought this scene to XSI and there is a 50sec hang before it starts rendering. But there shouldn't be any 'translation' time since "mr has direct access to xsi memory", right?!
..seems, that this problem is not present in MAX..
cheers,
oliver
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Post
by Rork » 11 Apr 2011, 10:51
cheers for all the tests chaps!!
Sad to hear this issue seems to only hurt SI 2012
rob
@ owei:

-
Helli
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21
Post
by Helli » 11 Apr 2011, 11:23
I have to use this smilie

Stop using Softimage, go buy a professional Software

-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Post
by origin » 11 Apr 2011, 11:24
maximus, max never starts rendering immediately, it always have to export scene to .mi file or whatever, and it always takes more or less seconds.
afaik this is main difference between max, the f***ing maya and softimage's mental ray integration. until 2012 si was starting rendering more or less rightaway.
slight moderator edit... - HB ;)
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Post
by Maximus » 11 Apr 2011, 11:37
origin wrote:maximus, max never starts rendering immediately, it always have to export scene to .mi file or whatever, and it always takes more or less seconds.
afaik this is main difference between max, the f***ing maya and softimage's mental ray integration. until 2012 si was starting rendering more or less rightaway.
slight moderator edit... - HB ;)
Yeah i know that, i didnt mean 3ds max starts render instantly, but sure it doesnt take 40 seconds of export scene to .mi for a bunch of cubes, and same thing goes for maya, what i'm starting to not understand here is if something can be done, because softimage 2011 was fine, i dont know whats happening in 2012 :/
-
klipi
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 14:07
Post
by klipi » 11 Apr 2011, 12:20
At first I tought that problem was in old scenes I was loading in 2012.... because render did not want to start, but now I see that I just did not wait enough
beta testers probably use Arnold or 3delight

-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Post
by Rez007 » 11 Apr 2011, 14:13
klipi wrote:...beta testers probably use Arnold or 3delight

lol...I was thinking the same thing.
I seriously cannot understand how something this glaring was not taken care of before AD sent out 2012. It is like releasing a video game that needs a "patch" in order to play it.
It is unfortunate really, that having a nice release like 2012 being marred by this sole issue, does not look good. Then again, I guess this proves how a vital part (MR) of a DCC platform gets consistently overlooked...
-
Saturn
- Posts: 38
- Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 10:27
Post
by Saturn » 11 Apr 2011, 14:52
Did you guys tried to export your object as a standin and rerender to see if it s coming really from XSI ?
That will eliminate XSI from the equation ( the translation is already done )
I was on maya theses last 6 months I didn't noticed any slow down. Quite the possite actually.
-
Helli
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21
Post
by Helli » 11 Apr 2011, 15:02
I guess there is no sense in trying that.
It should be enough to log the export time to MR before rendering as an issue.
The SI debelopers should care about the rest.
-
Saturn
- Posts: 38
- Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 10:27
Post
by Saturn » 11 Apr 2011, 15:10
Fair enough.
But sometimes people confuse what is causing the issue Xsi or Mr.
And then nobody move, if it s cleary define that the problem is comming from mr or XSI ( in this case XSI ) then you can have action