News concerning 3D DCC business
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Post
by calmasacow » 09 Feb 2011, 20:05
Nizar wrote:3delight cost politic is a bit strange IMO:
I have a phenom x6, there is a dual core license (free?), a quad core license and a infinity core license. For my PC what is the right license?
Can I use, in any case, a dual core license for free?
No those guys are just stuck in a OLD way of doing things. There was a time when ALL rendering engines used this model. Started by Pixar originally. It is effing retarded and I still refuse to use 3Dlight for that exact reason. To my knowledge they are the only ones still doing this non-sense.
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Post
by calmasacow » 09 Feb 2011, 20:10
DoF wrote:Nizar wrote:
Actually I starting studying rendering, how is compared to mental ray? is It more or less userfriendly?
Installed on my dual core laptop running 2011 SAP and was immediately blown away by the speed and quality of a couple of quick hair renders in the render region. Installation could not be easier: just drag the addon onto an open window, and select 3Delight from the dropdown menu in the region options. Seamless.
Yeah, try and get Animate-able GI on those hare and it will slow to a crawl and you will be begging for Arnold!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 09 Feb 2011, 20:13
Arnold will make beggars of us all, I suspect...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 11 Feb 2011, 18:05
I see V 3.0.2 of 3Delight is now out. Also I saw this on the mailing list (by Christopher Tedin):
Hey folks who might be considering 3delight for Softimage, I just purchased the 4 core version after doing some kick a** tests with DOF and displacement. The cost for 4 cores is $400. That doesn't include the discount for the 2 cores you already got for free! They don't advertise this, but when you pay $400, you get a total of 6 cores! If you only want 2 additional cores, just pay $200. I just went ahead and got a year's support and 2 more cores for less than $400.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 11 Feb 2011, 18:12
It is effing retarded and I still refuse to use 3Dlight for that exact reason. To my knowledge they are the only ones still doing this non-sense.
So you get something usable for free, unlimited time, a reasonable price for expansion...what is there to complain about?! Do you just want it all for free? Or maybe just pay $1000 or $1500 right up front like others (V-ray etc.)?
Not quite sure what your problem is with the pricing structure. I thinks it's pretty damn generous of them.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 11 Feb 2011, 23:40
This is a nice news, so with 400 euro you can use 6 core. Good. My only complain is lack tutorial.
I think 3delight is a good product, for a hobbyist/one man studio, is better imo then Vray or Arnold (if cost will be so high like everyone here suppose)
Now they must release tutorials after tutorials

-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 12 Feb 2011, 18:55
That's good news indeed.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion concerning the way this product is licensed, but compared to the price of the "3Delight for Maya" on
their website and the price you had to pay for "3Delight for Softimage 2.0"
3Delight for Softimage | Studio: USD $1,450
The feature complete package. Each license running up to four threads.
3Delight for Softimage | Artist: USD $495
Includes all the important features from Studio but lacks RIB export, third Party RenderMan shaders support and advanced pipeline features. Each license running up to four threads.
Quoted from
here
(considering that was for 4 cores maximum and the current package has the functionality of the "old" Studio version),
I think we're getting a pretty good deal...
If this is ultimately worth it, that's something everyone obviously has to decide for themselves. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 15 Feb 2011, 22:23
Here's a warning about V3.0.2. I uninstalled 3.0.1 and then installed the new one and I got an error: R5050 can't use more than one free licence. I only have one so I'm not sure why I'm getting this. I tried uninstalling it and putting the old one in but it does it too. Looks like 3Delight is broken for me at the moment. I'm glad I didn't actually start a project with it.
Anyone have any experience with this?
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Post
by Mathaeus » 16 Feb 2011, 09:10
ActionArt wrote:Here's a warning about V3.0.2. I uninstalled 3.0.1 and then installed the new one and I got an error: R5050 can't use more than one free licence. I only have one so I'm not sure why I'm getting this. I tried uninstalling it and putting the old one in but it does it too. Looks like 3Delight is broken for me at the moment. I'm glad I didn't actually start a project with it.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Perhaps some relevant files from old version are still alive, somewhere in 'user' folder, or another folder, used for install. Sometimes, SI won't delete the all files, extracted from add-on - so you'll probably need to delete them manually.
Doesn't happen here, btw.
Cheers
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 16 Feb 2011, 11:37
I didn't have time yet to check it on my Softimage and it's good that you warn us about a potential problem with said version, but I would strongly advise you to go to the
3Delight for Softimage and mention it there ALSO. The product's still officially a beta, so they should still have an open mind to bug reports, even if the forum doesn't seem that active... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 18 Feb 2011, 09:16
Version 3.03 beta has been released: go to the
download page
Features
Ability to use co-shaders in the Render Tree using a special Softimage command.
Improving ICE rendering (more closely matches Mental Ray renders).
Bug Fixes
Fixed misss_* compilation problems with Softimage 2011.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2011, 20:24
@ActionArt - Were you ever able to fix your licensing problem with 3Delight?
The thread on the 3Delight forum seemed somewhat inconclusive...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 26 Feb 2011, 20:58
No I didn't. Here is the thread on the 3Delight forum:
http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunB ... hp?id=2634
I couldn't get a real answer so I kind of gave up on it. I don't need it anyway, it's just a curiosity. For what I do, MR is better. It must not be a common problem if nobody else is reporting it.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2011, 21:17
Your reaction is fully understandable.
I personally would, however, have hoped for better support by DNA in this matter.
The fact that a problem isn't all that common, doesn't mean
it shouldn't be taken seriously/placed high on the bug fix list.
(And a quick forum search at "their" place leads me to believe,
that the problem might be uncommon, but certainly isn't unique)
Sorry, back to topic...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Post
by Maximus » 27 Feb 2011, 14:58
ActionArt wrote:No I didn't. Here is the thread on the 3Delight forum:
http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunB ... hp?id=2634
I couldn't get a real answer so I kind of gave up on it. I don't need it anyway, it's just a curiosity. For what I do, MR is better. It must not be a common problem if nobody else is reporting it.
try going here **Addons\3DelightForSoftimage\Application\bin\nt-x86-64 and execute licserver.exe
then start softimage and see if it fixes the problem. when 3delight is used you need to have licserver.exe running i guess (that was what Aghiles tried to tell you i think)
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 27 Feb 2011, 16:18
Thanks, I'll give that a shot on Monday when I'm back in the office. I had no idea where this "licserver.exe" file was and a search didn't turn it up.