SI 2013 sightings
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI 2013 sightings
That's alright. There will always be alternatives, its not like Autodesk owns the industry, right? Heh...
Wait a minute...
Wait a minute...
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI 2013 sightings
well the whole education thing warrants its own topic/tread really.
As for the Autodesk Education and Student community, I don't have much to do with, there's a whole division that deals with it. I know that from a schools and Uni's view, the best route is to go with the Education Suites as they offer pretty much everything. They also endorse and allow curriculum's to be more flexible and allow for students to use the software they perhaps want to and/or fit the industry they're interested in. Ultimately its all about choice for educators rather than us trying to pigeon hole things.
I always get worried when I have visited courses and they have focused on one specific software which might not be the best choice for the relevent industry. From an education point of view, Autodesk do alot, but I also think they drop the ball sometimes. Here in the UK there has been alot of campaigning, particularly from M&E customers and industry figures, to revise the national curriculum regarding computer science. Autodesk appeared to have no presence in that and considering how much on impact it has on Autodesk's customers and industries, I was kinda expecting more. We should of been right up there and in the mix, so to speak.
As for the Autodesk Education and Student community, I don't have much to do with, there's a whole division that deals with it. I know that from a schools and Uni's view, the best route is to go with the Education Suites as they offer pretty much everything. They also endorse and allow curriculum's to be more flexible and allow for students to use the software they perhaps want to and/or fit the industry they're interested in. Ultimately its all about choice for educators rather than us trying to pigeon hole things.
I always get worried when I have visited courses and they have focused on one specific software which might not be the best choice for the relevent industry. From an education point of view, Autodesk do alot, but I also think they drop the ball sometimes. Here in the UK there has been alot of campaigning, particularly from M&E customers and industry figures, to revise the national curriculum regarding computer science. Autodesk appeared to have no presence in that and considering how much on impact it has on Autodesk's customers and industries, I was kinda expecting more. We should of been right up there and in the mix, so to speak.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SI 2013 sightings
Problems is, you're the only autodesk voice here. You can never say anything concrete, you never answer the question and so on, because, yeah, we know, autodesk is a public company etc etc.Bellsey wrote:I totally agree, people should complain, or at least raise their concerns and also report bugs too. The problem is, that I suspect many customers don't do any of these things. I go and see customers all the time and it never surprises me how little contact or awareness people even have of Autodesk. I always say to people that they should try and dialog with Autodesk however they can, in whatever means they can. There are several ways, but personally I don't think its clear on the best way.
So what's the purpose to ask more contact with autodesk, if you never answer even to the simpliest question?
Why is the softimage official fix list not out yet? no answer.
Why they don't implement this or that feature of mental ray in softimage? no answer.
Is this going to be implemented or address, eventually? no answer.
Sorry to sound harsh, but sometimes it seams to me, you're here only to try yo calm down people, i don't see any real amount of information from your posts.
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: SI 2013 sightings
Well as far as the education suites go: that was my first encounter with Softimage - i was learning Maya at the time and simply because they were included i tried Max and Softimage as well. Didn't much care for Max but after one DT tutorial with Softimage i was hooked like a junkie on smack 
Buuutt, that was when you had to buy the suite for a small price (it still exists i know) but with the student site a youngling might very easily never encounter Softimage - a real shame that!
Buuutt, that was when you had to buy the suite for a small price (it still exists i know) but with the student site a youngling might very easily never encounter Softimage - a real shame that!
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SI 2013 sightings
Don't stuck yourself with stupid things like "AD shuold tell people they also sell another good 3d program". it's not gonna happen, cause. I have readen this idea from someone in this topic. Advertise a program you're supposly developing and selling? That's crazy man.bottleofram wrote:Of course its not. I just cant believe on how many forums is this being discussed on.
Would you rather go back to Autodesk marketing? Alright. Heres another one for Bellsey and co.
This is what M&E students see on their hope page of students.autodesk.com: Notice how Softimage is mysteriously not being recommended? Well, you might be thinking: "surely they cant fit all apps in there, its like the official homepage, so its alright." Nope, on this students account, only two more applications are being recommended if you go to Download Centar. Smoke and Softimage.
Beautiful world of AD marketing, you can always find something interesting to ponder about
Last edited by gfxman on 21 Apr 2012, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: SI 2013 sightings
You mean like this What's Fixed list ?gfxman wrote: Why is the softimage official fix list not out yet? no answer.
Which is also in the release notes, available at autodesk.com/softimage-documentation.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SI 2013 sightings
Days ago, people were asking for the list. It was not published yet, and there was no answer when it would be available, and why, it was not out yet, even if the 2013 was announced and people already have the software in the download queue.xsisupport wrote:You mean like this What's Fixed list ?gfxman wrote: Why is the softimage official fix list not out yet? no answer.
Then someone explained they have to wait estabilished dates to publish this list, but it took 4/5 pages of people complaining to gain a little information as that.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SI 2013 sightings
The question was why softimage is not in that listBellsey wrote:well the whole education thing warrants its own topic/tread really.
As for the Autodesk Education and Student community, I don't have much to do with, there's a whole division that deals with it. I know that from a schools and Uni's view, the best route is to go with the Education Suites as they offer pretty much everything. They also endorse and allow curriculum's to be more flexible and allow for students to use the software they perhaps want to and/or fit the industry they're interested in. Ultimately its all about choice for educators rather than us trying to pigeon hole things.
I always get worried when I have visited courses and they have focused on one specific software which might not be the best choice for the relevent industry. From an education point of view, Autodesk do alot, but I also think they drop the ball sometimes. Here in the UK there has been alot of campaigning, particularly from M&E customers and industry figures, to revise the national curriculum regarding computer science. Autodesk appeared to have no presence in that and considering how much on impact it has on Autodesk's customers and industries, I was kinda expecting more. We should of been right up there and in the mix, so to speak.
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI 2013 sightings
My point exactly. Like it or not, simple fact is, to what students are being introduced has an enormous impact on how the talent pool of any given platform develops over time. Autodesk recommending 3ds max Design instead of Softimage in this case says a lot about what company thinks is the future of Softimage, IMHO. You might say its a coincidence, but how many of those have we had by now? I lost count.Bellsey wrote:considering how much on impact it has on Autodesk's customers and industries, I was kinda expecting more. We should of been right up there and in the mix, so to speak.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI 2013 sightings
if you understand the limitations, then why persist in asking the questions you know we can't answer? lol
Yes I can't answer some questions, but I try and explain why we can't. I tread a fine line when posting on these types of forums, and if I am not careful, I could get into serious trouble. I guess if that's not good enough, perhaps I shouldn't bother at all?
Public forums like this are perhaps the best way to dialog and contact Autodesk, because it limits what we can say. I try and advise people to contact their resellers and/or attend any events where people like me and other will be present. I appreciate busy work schedules (and other factors) can restrict people but frankly there can often never be a good time, so people do have to make some effort. Speaking to people in person, and with NDAs in place can allow us to be abit more open.
Yes I can't answer some questions, but I try and explain why we can't. I tread a fine line when posting on these types of forums, and if I am not careful, I could get into serious trouble. I guess if that's not good enough, perhaps I shouldn't bother at all?
Public forums like this are perhaps the best way to dialog and contact Autodesk, because it limits what we can say. I try and advise people to contact their resellers and/or attend any events where people like me and other will be present. I appreciate busy work schedules (and other factors) can restrict people but frankly there can often never be a good time, so people do have to make some effort. Speaking to people in person, and with NDAs in place can allow us to be abit more open.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: SI 2013 sightings
When I read Mr. Bellsey's post from the previous page, all I've heard was: "bla bla bla" like I always hear on half of his posts. I initially wanted to express this, but then I said to myself that it would be too flaming only to discover on the next page that I'm not the only one.gfxman wrote:Problems is, you're the only autodesk voice here. You can never say anything concrete, you never answer the question and so on, because, yeah, we know, autodesk is a public company etc etc.Bellsey wrote:I totally agree, people should complain, or at least raise their concerns and also report bugs too. The problem is, that I suspect many customers don't do any of these things. I go and see customers all the time and it never surprises me how little contact or awareness people even have of Autodesk. I always say to people that they should try and dialog with Autodesk however they can, in whatever means they can. There are several ways, but personally I don't think its clear on the best way.
So what's the purpose to ask more contact with autodesk, if you never answer even to the simpliest question?
Why is the softimage official fix list not out yet? no answer.
Why they don't implement this or that feature of mental ray in softimage? no answer.
Is this going to be implemented or address, eventually? no answer.
Sorry to sound harsh, but sometimes it seams to me, you're here only to try yo calm down people, i don't see any real amount of information from your posts.
I needed to get this out...
And yes, you're right about the point talking to any officials: there's none! (with a few exceptions, of course)
Last edited by McNistor on 21 Apr 2012, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI 2013 sightings
As I said, I don't have much to do with the education side and that site, so I don't know.gfxman wrote:The question was why softimage is not in that listBellsey wrote:well the whole education thing warrants its own topic/tread really.
As for the Autodesk Education and Student community, I don't have much to do with, there's a whole division that deals with it. I know that from a schools and Uni's view, the best route is to go with the Education Suites as they offer pretty much everything. They also endorse and allow curriculum's to be more flexible and allow for students to use the software they perhaps want to and/or fit the industry they're interested in. Ultimately its all about choice for educators rather than us trying to pigeon hole things.
I always get worried when I have visited courses and they have focused on one specific software which might not be the best choice for the relevent industry. From an education point of view, Autodesk do alot, but I also think they drop the ball sometimes. Here in the UK there has been alot of campaigning, particularly from M&E customers and industry figures, to revise the national curriculum regarding computer science. Autodesk appeared to have no presence in that and considering how much on impact it has on Autodesk's customers and industries, I was kinda expecting more. We should of been right up there and in the mix, so to speak.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI 2013 sightings
While I think you all should feel free to pick on Bellsey's words as much as you like, do not pick on Bellsey for his frankly admirable attempt to at least try and put some things in an Autodesk perspective in this thread...
;)
(and yes I know, that sounds weird coming from me)
;)
(and yes I know, that sounds weird coming from me)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI 2013 sightings
I don't why there was a delay, but I think one thing to consider in all this - Autodesk is a big company, with many departments. So even though the relevent docs may have been done, they'd have to be delivered to the right people which then get it deployed to the website. Could be quicker? - Maybe, but in big corporations, wheels often move slowly.gfxman wrote:Days ago, people were asking for the list. It was not published yet, and there was no answer when it would be available, and why, it was not out yet, even if the 2013 was announced and people already have the software in the download queue.xsisupport wrote:You mean like this What's Fixed list ?gfxman wrote: Why is the softimage official fix list not out yet? no answer.
Then someone explained they have to wait estabilished dates to publish this list, but it took 4/5 pages of people complaining to gain a little information as that.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: SI 2013 sightings
Yes Mr. Bellsey you can't answer to all questions, but maybe you should say so instead of chatting about I don't know what? It would do a service to all of us. I'm suggesting, not anything else. There's almost nothing else that pisses me off so hard when someone's throwing dust into my eyes and then says "look, the elephant!"
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI 2013 sightings
@gfxman & Bellsey - There was NO delay. Autodesk published the fix list on the exact date of the release, just like they said they would. I originally posted in this forum to ask the question why this couldn't be published earlier. I believe Luc-Eric agreed that it was somewhat strange. But that's that...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!