TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 21 Nov 2014, 17:15


all shots finished, with a little surprise at the beginning you may not have noticed before....

Image


I still can't get april to look right, but apart from color, I can live with this
Image

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 23 Nov 2014, 16:16

fixups begin, all the way back to act one..

Image

Image

even more light changes

Image

Image

sometimes going 2.5 d works better for some things... new april in background
Image

850 frames of shot, but I think it looks a little smoother..
Image

Image

one is the old model, one is the new one. wonder if anyone notices a difference..
Image

Image

About 8 shots to update/fix in act one... some april shots have to totally replace the old model with the new one. Act two fixups are complete. then on to act three and about a months break before finishing up fixing the Big Blow Out, Act 2...

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by FXDude » 23 Nov 2014, 16:32

Image

That's looking pretty good! Kudos!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 24 Nov 2014, 03:50

Image

Image

Image

old leo on right
Image

Image

Image

Image

6 shots left to fix in act one, and then there are 12 shots to try and fix this lighting effect.
Try one is to try shape animation tracking....
Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Nov 2014, 09:57

As you expressed some unhappiness with the way April looks in your shots, let me make a small (and probably unhelpful) suggestion. The skin tone you are using would seem a bit to dark (I attached a small comparison below) and maybe you should even somehow exclude April's face and possibly all her skin from too much shading at all (go for a more "flat" look, so to speak).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 24 Nov 2014, 14:34

Image

like that with a constant? I also made the eyes farther apart and moved the hair around a bit. If I can get april to look right, I can use that as a base model for the jones project women.

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 24 Nov 2014, 14:36

Also, does anyone have a 3D printer? I'd love to see these in the 3rd dimension.. I could upload OBJ files for people to print if anyone wants..you'd have to paint the final thing of course ;o)

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by FXDude » 24 Nov 2014, 15:34

Speaking of the April, apart Hirazi's comments (which arent at all useless :]) , the turtles' gaze seem quite a bit more tweaked than April's, as April's eyes look more like paper cutouts rather than drawings, in contrast to the rest of April and other characters.

How about making a new face technique prototype? :)

Also, since you are simulating drawings, have you tried cutting the frame rate down from 24 (or 30?) to 10 or 15?

And I wouldnt use Vegas' frame blending (turning off 'sampling') as it smudges out everything.

Otherwise Nice work!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 24 Nov 2014, 15:46

FXDude wrote:Speaking of the April, apart Hirazi's comments (which arent at all useless :]) , the turtles' gaze seem quite a bit more tweaked than April's, as April's eyes look more like paper cutouts rather than drawings, in contrast to the rest of April and other characters.

How about making a new face technique prototype? :)

Also, since you are simulating drawings, have you tried cutting the frame rate down from 24 (or 30?) to 10 or 15?

And I wouldnt use Vegas' frame blending (turning off 'sampling') as it smudges out everything.

Otherwise Nice work!
sometimes Vegas causes blurring too, and I can't figure out how to turn it off...maybe that sampling option would work on that as well...


What I would love is a library of images...from faces, to plates, to chairs, to cars.....stuff I could modify and not start from scratch.

Frame rate as in character movements? I used to have characters move from every 15 frames. now I cut it down to 10 to 5.

and yeah, the eyes look rather flat. If I keep more detail, it doesn't look right for the toon ness. IF I pull it out a bit, it makes her cheeks look 'puffy..'

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by FXDude » 24 Nov 2014, 16:26

Actually in Vegas, if you right click -> properties on a clip , there is the sampling option.

But rather than do that on each clip, you can output in "preview mode" in the output options (which otherwise wont affect quality unless you have certain effects on your clips)

And yeah Eyes are the hardest! but I thick you can bring Aprils eyes to at least the lame level as the turtles. :]

Good luck!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 24 Nov 2014, 20:40

thanks, I'll give that a shot...


Btw, I updated the main video with most of the act 1 and 2 fixups, minus the lighting ones.

just 6 quick ones to go in act one, then I have to look at act 3 to see what needs improving.

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 26 Nov 2014, 15:04

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9h5XM ... sp=sharing

if anyone wants to print the turtle model with a 3D printer.. I'd be curious as to how it turned out.
I sent it off to a 3D printing company myself, but maybe you guys can have better results :)

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 26 Nov 2014, 21:14

Image
Image

I changed it up a bit.

I deleted the cube phong that was dark blue. taking to long to render withthat anyway, slowed it down times ten.
I darkned all the colors naturally, put a phong around the long. attached a light to the candle so it moved when his arm did...and animated the light to make it look like the candle was flickering....It actually doesn't work that bad and adds more atmosphere than the original animators bothered with.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 00:43

If I can make a few suggestions,

Have you thought of perhaps not having gradients in your shading? but having only steps (between shadow and lit areas) instead?

Also, you shouldn't need cubes to tint your images.

If you can bear one more output for tinted shots, you can tint them very easily in the FXTree just by doing "import passes" and apply an HSV Adjust or ColorCorrect, or I think there is even an output shader that you could use, OR you could also do it in Vegas before outputting.

And, for the glow of the candles, if you would like a gradual glow, it could be a wide textured grid with a radial gradient (white or gray in the middle going to black) in the alpha (black alpha made transparent), and the orangey color of the candles as a constant color in the RGB,

.. with it's center or parent positioned at the candles, but the grid geo itself being offset in front of the candles
and then have it's direction (or parent) constained in direction towards (always facing) the cam.
(you may have to reorient the constraint for the proper axis)

Otherwise, Cool!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 27 Nov 2014, 18:09

I've never even heard of the steps method.. all I know is basic stuff :(. one reason why I wish there was a class that taught how to use this program properly. i'm just figuring it out as i go along..

I'll see about messing around with the pass though...it would be nice not to have to deal with those cubes..

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 19:22

I don't know what you have been using for toon shading, but here is a basic toon shading overview.



I was reffering to the transition from the lit to dark areas having a sharp edge rather than a gradient
Image

and a gradient rather than a sharp edges for anything that glows (sorry don't want to be picky :p)
Image

(PS; of course not suggesting rerendering everthing lol ;p but perhaps having a few updated shots )