Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Bellsey » 07 Mar 2014, 16:52

Hirazi Blue wrote:
Bellsey wrote:Actually it is valid because if memory serves, XSI 7.01 and 7.02 were release after the acquisition.
I don't want to argue the general gist of your statement, because it has a lot to do with interpretation. I do however want to point out that there never was a XSI release 7.02. Interestingly enough luceric made the same mistake a while back on the CGTalk, so I am starting suspect it did exist, but was never released to the public...
:p
(this is intended as a light-hearted post, BTW)
Yep, you are correct. I stand corrected. #-o

User avatar
bb3d
Posts: 84
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:54
Location: Berlin

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by bb3d » 09 Mar 2014, 23:37

Hi Softimage users,

I am using Softimage XSI since V1.0 and although this first version had more bugs than features, I loved the UI, workflow, the Render Tree, the operator stack and so on. It's still the only 3D software that gives me that kind of cosy "being at home" feeling when I open it.

3 years ago I got an offer from my reseller to renew my subscription 3 years in advance for the old price, because after that the price would be increased. I decided to accept this offer, because I could save some money over the coming 3 years and I hoped, after increasing the subscription price, Autodesk would use this money to boost development of Softimage. I spent nearly 2000 € for this 3-year sub renewal just to see development falling asleep during these 3 years and finally getting a punch in the guts from Autodesk like "Thank you very much for your money, we used it to move the Softimage developers over to the Maya team and will now bury your favorite 3D app including ICE, Lagoa, Facerobot, just because some numbers where not high enough. Have a nice day".
What I got for 2000 € was basically CrowdFX which I never needed and an unusable, slow and buggy HQ viewport. Wow. :-q
All of my feature requests were ignored, I never felt being treated seriously as a customer.

The product I want from Autodesk is Softimage XSI, not Maya and not Max. If they cannot deliver it anymore, I am finished with them forever. No Softimage, no deal, it's as simple as that.
My subscription expires in August 2014 and I will definately not renew it. Instead I will spend money for innovative 3rd-party products from passionate and helpful developers, like Redshift.
The good aspect beside all the sad facts is, that I am more free now. I am finally not longer dependant on that kind of "company".

I am just a poor freelancer, no big business here, just have to get small projects finished in a quick and efficient way with a good looking result. Like many others I will continue using Softimage, hoping that the competition outside the evil Autodesk empire will offer a true alternative to Softimage within the next few years.

I want to thank all the people who donated their time, knowledge and passion to make Softimage what it is today ^:)^


Someone suggested to create some fundraising to develop an open source Softimage, similar to the way Blender is founded now. I think, a more realistic approach would be to take a closer look at Blender, using it for small jobs, joining the community behind it, donating money for it, giving the developers feedback to really bring it forward within the next years, polishing the UI, improving workflow. Blender is quite "feature complete" already, add an ICE-like system, Animation Mixer and some nice auto rigging tools to it and it will blow all Autodesk products out of the water.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Bullit » 10 Mar 2014, 00:42

There is already a guy developing an ICE system for Blender.

Anyway you are correct in supporting Redshift, Motozoid, Exocortex, etc.
You get the V.2015 and since Autodesk have nothing to offer you anymore, that is The End.

On the bright side Softimage might end as the 3D program with less bugs...

thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by thorsnuts » 10 Mar 2014, 16:03

where the heck is Ed Harris at... Steve Blair and Eddy should team up.. start a movement for god sake... and save this software.

Who really wants to use Maya.. Lightwave, Max? not me!!!

:((

Indigo
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Mar 2014, 21:43

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Indigo » 10 Mar 2014, 20:09

I am probably older than most of you.
I started in 1993 with an SGI indigo and a Softimage Creative Evironment base license and Softimage Eddie for compositing with a 30 seconds Abekas DDR. It was a120'000$ investment. I witnessed the birth of IK, Nurbs and Mental Ray.

By the time I finished paying my loan SI 3D was already bought by Microsoft and then handed to Avid and my investment lost 85% of its value with the port to win NT. Eddie was no more. (I learned Avid Media Illusion too) then I took another loan and got Discreet's Flint on Octane :)))

The relation and the support that I used to get from the original teams of Softimage and Discreet were great and never seen since. I did also some beta testing for Softimage DS which was the big promise that never really materialized (Avid are idiots and drug dealers)

It all ended in the hands of Autodesk,....and yes they are bad on all levels: relation, support, innovation, trust, vision....you name it.

I still use exclusively Softimage for 3D even though I work more as a Flame artist, the rest of the company uses Maya.
We pay Autodesk more than 25K a year of subscriptions (flame, smoke, flare, Softimage, Maya) all are softs they bought, these people don't create, We Do.

What I want to say is that it is the artist that counts after all, not the tool.
I actually hated XSI when it came out and I kept using SI3D till version 3.5 of XSI and I was still making more money than those who jumped to XSI or switched to Maya.

A fine artist will remain a fine artist. I always wanted to learn Houdini, now I have the motivation and still need to gather the courage and btw, I am 49...

User avatar
Unaided
Posts: 62
Joined: 26 Feb 2014, 15:35

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Unaided » 10 Mar 2014, 21:36

Autodicks was maked a official statement with the arguments and reasons for its decision of discontinue Softimage?

User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Pete » 11 Mar 2014, 05:17

Hey All,

I was inspired by the response to the petition for softy so I put a little link on my game's site and made the game free for a couples of days...
http://www.pockethalfpipe.com
Softy has been awesome while I've been making games and I'll continue to use it for as long as possible whatever the outcome!

Pete

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by xsi_fanatic » 11 Mar 2014, 12:29

Pete wrote:Hey All,

I was inspired by the response to the petition for softy so I put a little link on my game's site and made the game free for a couples of days...
http://www.pockethalfpipe.com
Softy has been awesome while I've been making games and I'll continue to use it for as long as possible whatever the outcome!

Pete
What software did you use to create your game ? I'm thinking of getting into game development. What would you recommend ? Something that's versatile as Softimage and C4D but for game development.

NightroadAX
Posts: 19
Joined: 16 Nov 2010, 03:23

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by NightroadAX » 11 Mar 2014, 15:58

After reflecting on Autodesk's decision for a week, I've come to the conclusion that the real reason Autodesk is getting rid of Softimage is that they lack the ingenuity to improve the greatest 3D software they've ever acquired.
Someone PLEASE show me one truly innovative thing that's been added to Softimage that wasn't obviously coming (ICE improvements, optimizations, bug fixes, keeping up with mentalRay, and FaceRobot merger) or blatantly copied from another software package.

Protip: Integrating Unfold/Bullet/Lagoa don't count either, cause while it keeps up with the Softimage spirit of licensing and integrating things (mentalRay, Syflex, Shave & a Haircut), it's just Autodesk throwing money around.

.....and if anyone says HQ Viewport or ViewCube I'm gonna flip a table. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nuverian
Posts: 143
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
Location: Greece

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by nuverian » 11 Mar 2014, 16:11

NightroadAX wrote: .....and if anyone says HQ Viewport or ViewCube I'm gonna flip a table. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wait! The ViewCube is a fantastic feature! and the HQ Viewport works EXACTLY as you would expect!
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by ActionArt » 11 Mar 2014, 16:52

Autodesk is the destroyer of great software and innovation. They buy something good, milk it as long they can, develop as little as possible and run it into the ground. Then they move on, buy something else and destroy that too. It's such a shame that they can prosper that way.

xowgax
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 Aug 2009, 20:22

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by xowgax » 11 Mar 2014, 16:55

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Softimage ... -p/4874950
More studios need to join in on this.. Stand up for your pipeline!

PS: Can I sue Autodesk into paying for the psychologist I need for the depression that hits every time I need to open Softimage at work? I ask knowing it's only gonna get worse when we switch over to Maya..

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Rez007 » 11 Mar 2014, 19:30

xsi_fanatic wrote:
Pete wrote:Hey All,

I was inspired by the response to the petition for softy so I put a little link on my game's site and made the game free for a couples of days...
http://www.pockethalfpipe.com
Softy has been awesome while I've been making games and I'll continue to use it for as long as possible whatever the outcome!

Pete
What software did you use to create your game ? I'm thinking of getting into game development. What would you recommend ? Something that's versatile as Softimage and C4D but for game development.
I think in his link it says that Softimage was used. I used Softimage as well for my game, Blaster X HD (link in my signature.) Right now I am pretty upset with the EOL of Softimage, total out-of-touch decision by Autodesk. I don't think they have anything in their arsenal that can replace ICE or Face Robot, along with other great things that Softimage offers. I really cannot recommend an alternative software for game design. People will say Maya LT, but I think that is missing some key components, and it is Autodesk so I don't think I would look that way anyhow.

This was a big mistake by Autodesk and screwed a lot of people over.

nuverian
Posts: 143
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
Location: Greece

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by nuverian » 11 Mar 2014, 21:10

The mistake was not killing SI, but not caring for it in the first place. I mean what's the point of not killing a software that doesn't get the updates it should get and is generaly not loved by it's owners, AD in this case?
For years we were eitherway using SI without getting true updates as it would deserve from AD. We are/were mostly using stuff from version 7.
One could say that hey, so we can continue using it anyway it's the same thing, but the difference and real issue here is that by killing it now it will so much lessen the community. Hardcores will stay, but many will leave to another software (hopefully for them not from CrapDesk) and as a result less and less information, knowledge, tuts, plugins 3rd party support etc will exist.

The whole thing enrage us because our assumptions came to be true, that AD bought it to kill it in the first place. It's so sad.
I can't just believe that they will keep SI's source code rusting in a werehouse hard drive.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Rez007 » 11 Mar 2014, 22:15

nuverian wrote:The mistake was not killing SI, but not caring for it in the first place. I mean what's the point of not killing a software that doesn't get the updates it should get and is generaly not loved by it's owners, AD in this case?
For years we were eitherway using SI without getting true updates as it would deserve from AD. We are/were mostly using stuff from version 7.
One could say that hey, so we can continue using it anyway it's the same thing, but the difference and real issue here is that by killing it now it will so much lessen the community. Hardcores will stay, but many will leave to another software (hopefully for them not from CrapDesk) and as a result less and less information, knowledge, tuts, plugins 3rd party support etc will exist.

The whole thing enrage us because our assumptions came to be true, that AD bought it to kill it in the first place. It's so sad.
I can't just believe that they will keep SI's source code rusting in a werehouse hard drive.
You are pretty much spot-on here, and I agree - years of empty promises by AD. For mobile gaming, there is not anything that I need from Maya or other DCC software, that I cannot do already with Softimage for years to come, so I will most likely be staying.

I just don't see the justification on AD's side in this. They were at least making money off of the Softimage users, as we were also the best group whom stayed up-to-date with Subs (from what I read in previous posts a while ago). Now, they kill our software and think we are all going to go with Maya or Max? They just created more competition, and lost more money, as current/future users who are going to look elsewhere as loyalty and goodwill in this business goes a long way.

Before they decided to let us keep our Softimage licenses indefinitely, I think their plan might have been to try to sell it after 2016. By then, they might have figured they would have most of us on Maya or Max, and the few that were left would not be an issue to them. They would also be ahead of the curve by that time, so they probably would not feel too much of a threat even if they would sell it then anyway. Everything in life has a price to it and is always for sale for the right number.

If Houdini was lower in price for their yearly renewal for their FX package, I think they would get a large number of Softimage users. Hopefully they never sell to AD...
Last edited by Rez007 on 12 Mar 2014, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Pete » 11 Mar 2014, 22:32

Yeah, I used Softimage to create PocketHalfPipe (and unity).
I totally agree with nuverian, and Rez007.
I'm going to stick with softimage for as long as possible because it still works great for me.
I think next step for me would be Houdini because it seems like a great program with a friendly helpful user base. Or maybe modo 'cause they seem to be pretty active these days too.
If either of those have a non autodesk acquisition guarantee and I'd jump on a lot easier :)