TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 28 Apr 2014, 22:52




last 14 or so shots roughed out. act one almost done.

Image

Image

a few minor shredder changes
Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 10 May 2014, 18:12

Image

pain in the ass crowd shots
Image


Image


Image

gonna need major fixing up
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

touch ups begin
Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 14 Jun 2014, 23:42



vegas has been giving me so many render errors lately it's rediculous. You'd think I was running a 3.1 machine. ugh. but I finally got it to render.

I also made a few minor intro shot improvements as well..

Image

Image

work on act 2 has also commenced.
Image

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Jul 2014, 13:45

Image

still chugging along for anyone who might still care ;o). almost half way through act 2

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Superpositivo » 07 Jul 2014, 17:18

Your commitment to this project is amazing, really. I remember it since the gone XSI Base days.

Anyway, I always wondered why you never use textures (it seems you don't use them).

Probably a lot of the work would be much easier, clean and various.

Example : streets, buildings, windows, sky....

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 07 Jul 2014, 20:39

for me, it's all in the process of trying to learn how they would have done it in the cell days, and that means re tracing every little detail. making textures either wouldn't have the right look, or take away from the pattern that was originally there.

Although for the completely original project, it might not be a bad idea to see if I can find someone who has some spare texturing time for a free gig.

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 08 Jul 2014, 02:58



lets us see how well vimeo behaves today. now even they've put up a copyright protection system. ugh.

The first three minutes of act two have been posted.

Does that 'mood lighting' of yellow flickering bother anyone else? Iwas trying to find other ways to simulate the candle light, and I think it might be too much. I can see why they didn't do any lighting effects in the original

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Jul 2014, 01:16

still chugging along. Looks like I'm getting faster, too. I started act one in February, now July, almost done with Act 2. Of course, this time around I had most of the sets and characters pre done, so it was a simple matter of shot setup.
Here, we re-create a water flowing scene using shape animation.
Image

Image

The April Model re surfaced into a one shot mermaid statue. I don't feel like I'm being lazy now, knowing that even real animators cut corners like crazy to get things done.
makes it a whole lot easier ;o).
Image

a one shot building setup
Image

a Completely new vernon fenwick done from scratch. a little better
Image
Image


for some reason I am getting ghosting using vegas pro for rendering. not sure why.
In some scenes, it helps to change up the acting and add in a little character. in most 2D shots the animators got lazy and they just sort of stand there with only their mouths moving.
it looks weird in 3d.

Image

retracing digital smoke makes me see points in nightmares. but it's easier than learning new ways to code or ice it.
Image

same scene without ghosting and new acting included
Image

more digital smoke at least it turned out good.
Image

11 shots and two layers of smoke just to make organizing points easier.
Image

sometimes animating ropes works using shape manager, sometimes not. this one was a bit sloppy, but not too bad.
brand new grapple hook model.

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Jul 2014, 01:19

the grapple, based off actual show model sheets to the letter.
Image

the start of the grapple
Image

three stooges style
Image

one shot digital set
Image

Image

to me, sets are more fun than characters
Image

Image

Shot setup, render, and original shot.

Image

User avatar
nas
Posts: 94
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 09:15

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by nas » 17 Jul 2014, 15:24

I've got to say I admire your determination to see this project through! A lot of artists who take on wildly ambitious projects don't stick with them as long as you have with this one. I'm a big tmnt fan but did not want to comment on your wip because I know what a huge undertaking for one person it is.

I must say you're definately making progress on the last few posts as far as the scene construction/colour palette/accuracy goes, keep it up!:)
Nothing's too difficult to achieve, it just takes longer...

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Aug 2014, 20:33



I'd like to think so... now if only I can figure out why it's ghosting the video when characters move.
not sure if that's softimage or vegas pro..

video updated... almost done with act 2

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Aug 2014, 23:31

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Aug 2014, 23:34

Image

Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 31 Aug 2014, 18:48



Act 2 is finished. probably not as good as it could look, but as good as I can make it.
I really wish some schools here taught soft image so I can make it look better..

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

fixups
Image

Image

Image



some only slightly less terrible..
Image

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 10 Sep 2014, 04:45

Image

still working on the big rip off too... Shot 180 and start of act 3.

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 21 Sep 2014, 23:01

its more fun to work on original stuff now..but still going

Image

Image

Image