What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 11:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
13
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
59
61%
Blender
6
6%
Houdini
12
13%
Modo
2
2%
Other
4
4%
 
Total votes: 96

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 07 Oct 2013, 10:19

angus_davidson wrote:
Nizar wrote:I don't think a big corporation worry so much if people don't love but however still buys its products.
See thats the only way you can really make your voice heard is to not resubscribe for softimage. If your on a bundle it kinda muddies the water a little bit.

Big corporations only responds when it impacts their bottom line or the PR is of such a nature that they have to. Ask yourself this. When the whole debacle around BiFrost came out. Why did AD$K only respond to the Max underground posts. We were just as uppity on the softimage forums.

Very simply there are orders of magnitude times as many 3dsMax seats out there then there are Softimage seats. We are seen as pretty insignificant, and therefore no real threat to the bottom line.
Hirazi Blue wrote:
Nizar wrote:I don't think a big corporation worry so much if people don't love but however still buys its products.
Even smaller companies/corporations don't really care all that much IMHO, they're just better at pretending they do (as its part of the commercial "survival game").
$-)
For sure I stop here my money support to ADSK. I'm pretty sure they don't care so much, as Angus argued. A official answer like done in Maxunderground forum will be really appreciated. There is not a scrap of ADSK manager or any type of responsible who wants spend 5 minutes to clarify the situation so as has been done on Maxunderground?!? Their customer care is almost ridiculous..

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Bullit » 07 Oct 2013, 11:30

I mean, 3dsMax is cool only because of the plugins and scripts.
Precisely, without plugins Max will be dead. I know a friend that would move to Cinema4d or elsewhere without Max plugins.

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by iamVFX » 07 Oct 2013, 11:32

Bellsey wrote:you don't need some elaborate plugin to 'connect' 3D software to a game engine, a simple file format export is very often more than enough.
"You don't need some elaborate plugin to 'connect' 3D software to a game engine, a simple file format export is very often more than enough."

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by iamVFX » 07 Oct 2013, 11:39


Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Bellsey » 07 Oct 2013, 12:06

ok, ok, I see what you did there. Firstly, there isn't much point in talking about Skyline because as we've said many times, it's not a product, just an r7D project. Also, when I said about connecting to a games engine, I was referring to the simple ability and export process of getting assets exported from a 3D package and into engine. Is it possible to have a live link between a 3D package like Maya and a game engine? Sure, the video shows that, and I've even seen studios that have their game engine running in the viewport.

However, these studios have tended to be the ones who are working on the top end AAA console games. These types of studios and projects that have the resources and technology to create and sustain these pipelines. But there's now a great deal of studios (small - 10-20 people tops) that aren't producing games at this top end, and instead going more indie and mobile. They creating simply creating assets, exporting to Unity/UDK and continuing in that tech. In that context exporting assets with something like FBX is all that you need.

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by iamVFX » 07 Oct 2013, 12:18

Bellsey wrote:They creating simply creating assets, exporting to Unity/UDK and continuing in that tech. In that context exporting assets with something like FBX is all that you need.
By creating assets I guess you mean meshes, cameras, animations and these sort of stuff? It's pretty easy to do in every 3D package I know of.
Last edited by iamVFX on 07 Oct 2013, 12:40, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 07 Oct 2013, 12:30

iamVFX wrote:
Bellsey wrote:They creating simply creating assets, exporting to Unity/UDK and continuing in that tech. In that context exporting assets with something like FBX is all that you need.
By creating assets I guess you mean meshes, cameras, animations and these sort of stuff? It's pretty easy to do in every 3D package I know of.
and in some it is easier and faster than Maya

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Bellsey » 07 Oct 2013, 12:36

iamVFX wrote:
Bellsey wrote:They creating simply creating assets, exporting to Unity/UDK and continuing in that tech. In that context exporting assets with something like FBX is all that you need.
By creating assets I guess you mean meshes, cameras, animations and these sort of stuff? It's pretty easy to do in every 3D package I know of.
yep.

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by iamVFX » 07 Oct 2013, 12:40

Considering FBX:


SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by SreckoM » 07 Oct 2013, 13:32

Me too using Blender almost on every day basis. Was using Modo Houdini combo, but now almost only Blender Houdini.
- H -

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 07 Oct 2013, 13:59

SreckoM wrote:Me too using Blender almost on every day basis. Was using Modo Houdini combo, but now almost only Blender Houdini.
Using blender/houdini for what? Modo/zbrush work better (GoB is not perfect like is GoZ in modo), for these reason, and for the better and simply render engine actually I see much better modo than blender (I mean for characters modelling, rendering and texturing)

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by SreckoM » 07 Oct 2013, 14:36

Blender for modeling and UV (if it does not need to be procedural), Houdini for rest.
Not doing much of character work though.
Even though I have Zbrsuh license, I am not using it much, I am working on linux 80% of my time (rest is OSX), so for level of sculpting I am doing, Blender or Modo are doing fine. Not saying that Blender is better than Modo, or vice verse, both are doing great for me. I like modifiers on Blender I feel I have more control with them, that is main reason why I am mostly modeling in Blender.
- H -

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 07 Oct 2013, 14:45

SreckoM wrote:Blender for modeling and UV (if it does not need to be procedural), Houdini for rest.
Not doing much of character work though.
Even though I have Zbrsuh license, I am not using it much, I am working on linux 80% of my time (rest is OSX), so for level of sculpting I am doing, Blender or Modo are doing fine. Not saying that Blender is better than Modo, or vice verse, both are doing great for me. I like modifiers on Blender I feel I have more control with them, that is main reason why I am mostly modeling in Blender.
No, no, not another software war :) Like you I don't want said modo is better than Blender, but actually I prefer modo for the reason I explained ( I prefer modelling in blender, IMHO is better than modo)

So you using Houdini for rendering and where you need procedural? My brain cannot understand houdini mantra and modelling in general is very worse (again IMHO)

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by owei » 07 Oct 2013, 16:15

Hey guys...please stay on topic, more or less. If you like to discuss this further, please do it in an other thread. Thanks :-)

Oli

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by SreckoM » 07 Oct 2013, 16:38

Yup, I did not want to start explaining here to avoid going offtopic.
Nizar send me PM if you want.
- H -

Falam

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Falam » 08 Oct 2013, 04:12

If you want to do anything extremely beyond what the program can do, you usually have to script, whether it's Python, Mel or JS. I don't get the train of thought that you need a R&D department if you use Maya, like I said anything extreme requires scripting, including Softimage. The only bonus Softimage has is, ICE. Then again, one could argue that you have to spend the time to do the R&D in ICE too, except for it's visual programming rather then scripting. The differences are not big between a Softmage, Maya or Houdini !