Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by origin » 14 Aug 2013, 18:04

Bullit wrote:Beware of jumping too fast. Anyway i wouldn't trust Autodesk at all with anything. Combustion ditched, that Tox thing etc. If they go for Maya only i'll look elsewhere.
I'm not jumping anywhere, I most of time don't pay for software, only use what my emplorer have.
I would never buy maya for my own money for what this retarded corporation did and does to software they acquire.
I probably want to add another software to my toolset if I will need to change the job

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by luceric » 14 Aug 2013, 18:15

it wouldn't surprise me if they made a premium suite upgrade deal in the future. On a related subject, I noticed that there is a deal now on the web site to upgrade to the ultimate suite (all three apps) for the same price as the premium suite (max or maya + softimage)

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by bottleofram » 14 Aug 2013, 19:04

Not in a hurry here. As some respectable and insightful people already pointed out, exciting times lie ahead. Maybe in the end the things wont change much, but i'm perfectly fine watching from the sidelines until the dust settles.

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Daniel Brassard » 14 Aug 2013, 19:18

I side grade would be tempting but one would have to consider the pro and con of the move such as:

pro

Move to an app that has a more active development.
Experience working in 3D can be transferred to the other platform.
Coding in python, JScript and/or C++ can be useful.
Having a positive attitude, the will to learn and to put the effort can be rewarding.
Knowledge and experience in production can be an asset, especially in mixed pipelines.
Working with nodes (render tree, ICE, etc) can be useful in Maya
Coding in MEL could be an asset.
Mental ray in Maya is more current. The knowledge of Mental ray is transferable. Same thing with the other renderers supported by both platforms.

con

Becoming a one of many, the competition is greater for the few jobs out there.
Being current with Maya. If not, it means rebuilding the portfolio and reputation.
The younger generation, with Maya formal training are a formidable competition.
Experience working with Maya in the past can be an asset but, depending how long you staid away from Maya may means a steep learning curve which take time and effort.


An attractive side grade would be, if you are on Softimage submission, to side grade to a Maya submission at the Maya submission price (if cheaper) and the difference put toward the next submission. You can keep Softimage at your current version.

Better would be a Maya+Softimage side grade for a few hundred bucks extra (i.e what ever the difference between the cost of the Maya+Softimage submission is compared to Softimage alone minus a few hundred for the first year), then I would not lose Soft and I would gain Maya. AD would maintain a customer and help me transition to Maya at the same time (win-win). As long as I keep paying the new submission and Soft remains in development, I can use both.

For those not on submission, I don't know what would be attractive as a side grade. With the current AD concerns, i doubt any side grade offer would attract hard core Softies to AD realm again.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Bullit » 14 Aug 2013, 20:43

Biggest Con is not using Softimage, unless you think Maya is at same level interface logic level. Do you feel cozy in Maya or it just seems a weird disjointed experience?

grreez
Posts: 23
Joined: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42
Skype: soliloquy

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by grreez » 14 Aug 2013, 22:41

deleted
Last edited by grreez on 15 Aug 2013, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Nizar » 15 Aug 2013, 07:57

origin wrote:
Well to be honest
They should give it for free for existing SI users when they decide to officialy discontinue the product.
If I were a freelance I would never buy another Autodesk product but rather stick with SI as long as its possible (eg I can still use max 2008, I dont need anything from 2013/2014) and then look at Modo/Houdini.
grreez wrote:don't even thing switching to maya. Let the cancer rot and vanish. Shall we waste more time and money and feed some greedy fat arses? NO! What they did to Softimage was nothing but a pure theft "40 million at the service of ............... exodus to maya"...
But where is the damn button "like it"?
A friend of mine until now has been working with Softimage | 3D, so softimage will remain on my HD for long time. I'll wait a good replace when others software evolution and development will make it more appealing (so definitely will not be a ADSK software) . TBH I'm happy no more subscription to ADSK, finally I'll make a serious render farm :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Aug 2013, 08:50

Nizar wrote: But where is the damn button "like it"?
Here it is:
Image
We do, however, experience some technical difficulties at the moment,
as you can't actually press it... (and we're pretty sure its trademarked)
;)
(yes, I'm in that kind of mood, sorry...)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Aug 2013, 11:42

nicoM wrote:On Area there is a video on "Behind the curtain of RD". There you can see a little bit about bifrost! The interface looks a bit like ICE. It is called "Open Procedural FX Framework". Maybe this is what the Maya FX Team is working on!

http://area.autodesk.com/Anaheim2013
Just watched this Bifrost thing. Well, attractive is that dark side :) Direct volume rendering, all these LODs... this could be a game changer in the field. If I'm correct, they should be able to get much faster volume render, if data comes from simulator.
Real Flow people probably are working overtime these days, even I don't have idea how they will be able to catch this. Imho for now, they are only under attack. However, if we will see enough TV commercials, based on Naiad/Bifrost features, so client will come with 'I want this'.... I don't know...

By the way, contract with devil is some kind of permanent, isn't it...
Last edited by Mathaeus on 15 Aug 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

grreez
Posts: 23
Joined: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42
Skype: soliloquy

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by grreez » 15 Aug 2013, 19:48

that's for ADSK, hope they will like it


User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by dwigfor » 15 Aug 2013, 22:50

Damn, I haven't heard that song in forever! But I like Jesus Built My Hotrod better... 1st vid is blocked

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by gustavoeb » 16 Aug 2013, 15:26

as we are throwing random videos around:
https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/2Mr4mj ... %26end=105 (Bluestarimage)
https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/2Mr4mj ... %26end=140 (AD's mantra)

:p

ps: didnt use youtube tags in order to cut specific moments of the video
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by luceric » 19 Aug 2013, 18:07

luceric wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if they made a premium suite upgrade deal in the future. On a related subject, I noticed that there is a deal now on the web site to upgrade to the ultimate suite (all three apps) for the same price as the premium suite (max or maya + softimage)
From the Softimage weekly newsletter, it's 1,575$ to upgrade from Softimage 2014 to the Ultimate Suite (+Max,+Maya,+Mudbox)

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by BenR » 19 Aug 2013, 18:33

luceric wrote:
luceric wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if they made a premium suite upgrade deal in the future. On a related subject, I noticed that there is a deal now on the web site to upgrade to the ultimate suite (all three apps) for the same price as the premium suite (max or maya + softimage)
From the Softimage weekly newsletter, it's 1,575$ to upgrade from Softimage 2014 to the Ultimate Suite (+Max,+Maya,+Mudbox)
What is the subscription cost for the suites? Not sure how to find it on the Autodesk sites.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 19 Aug 2013, 18:34

luceric wrote:
luceric wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if they made a premium suite upgrade deal in the future. On a related subject, I noticed that there is a deal now on the web site to upgrade to the ultimate suite (all three apps) for the same price as the premium suite (max or maya + softimage)
From the Softimage weekly newsletter, it's 1,575$ to upgrade from Softimage 2014 to the Ultimate Suite (+Max,+Maya,+Mudbox)

That's actually a good deal. :-?

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 19 Aug 2013, 18:37

BenR wrote:
luceric wrote:
luceric wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if they made a premium suite upgrade deal in the future. On a related subject, I noticed that there is a deal now on the web site to upgrade to the ultimate suite (all three apps) for the same price as the premium suite (max or maya + softimage)
From the Softimage weekly newsletter, it's 1,575$ to upgrade from Softimage 2014 to the Ultimate Suite (+Max,+Maya,+Mudbox)
What is the subscription cost for the suites? Not sure how to find it on the Autodesk sites.
Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate 2014
Priced from:
£7,500.00

From Autodesk Store.