Autodesk retires Softimage
-
c@mesigue
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 21:32
- Location: Préfailles (France)
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
We go to immateriality. Autodesk as others take the Adobe way. The service will pay more license ... This system allows software to better protected from piracy. The engraving is dead, long live the cloud ...
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
The fact that you compare me to 6 of the greatest comedy geniuses of our time, is indeed a compliment. Thank you.ThomasHelzle wrote:While I have all due respect for every fellow human on a personal, private level, I think it would be a good idea if you would just silently leave the room for a while and spare the mourners your presence as a corporate mouth.Bellsey wrote:I'm not so sure, Max is one of Autodesk’s top products, so there are no plans to discontinue it. If you look, it's in every one of the Suites that Autodesk offers.
Though I've never been a big user of Max, it's always had this broad appeal across different industries and that's likely to continue.
At the moment each time I read your name, I have to think of the Monty Pythons:
"What's brown and sounds like a bell(sey)? Dung!"
Dismissed!
Cheers,
Tom
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Not that matters greatly at this point, but I would like to draw your attention to two places to discuss the topic at hand in a hopefully slightly less emotional manner.
We've opened a RETIREMENT Q&A thread in the General & Troubleshooting forum and a whole new subforum named Migration. I'd like to propose using that thread and that forum for specifics, keeping this thread for anger, rage, despair, hurt and all the understandable emotions in between.
We've opened a RETIREMENT Q&A thread in the General & Troubleshooting forum and a whole new subforum named Migration. I'd like to propose using that thread and that forum for specifics, keeping this thread for anger, rage, despair, hurt and all the understandable emotions in between.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
That's a bit harsh. Bellsey has done nothing but try to help this community.ThomasHelzle wrote:While I have all due respect for every fellow human on a personal, private level, I think it would be a good idea if you would just silently leave the room for a while and spare the mourners your presence as a corporate mouth.
At the moment each time I read your name, I have to think of the Monty Pythons:
"What's brown and sounds like a bell(sey)? Dung!"
Dismissed!
Cheers,
Tom
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Bellsey and Luceric, thanks for your effort.
In particular, Luceric was the only aware us, what a bit harsh, and I considered a troll, but now understood how much he risk trying to explain the why, and his frankly speaking (the famous "bite the bullet")
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news ... n-be-last/
In particular, Luceric was the only aware us, what a bit harsh, and I considered a troll, but now understood how much he risk trying to explain the why, and his frankly speaking (the famous "bite the bullet")
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news ... n-be-last/
During a web conference on Tuesday, an Autodesk representative said that the company made the decision not to sell Softimage on because it now contains too much proprietary Autodesk IP.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Not that it's all that important, but still no mail from Autodesk. They cannot even get a mass-mail to ALL customers right. And strangely enough: the RSS feed set to the Media and Entertainment part of the Autodesk Newsroom remains empt.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
A lot of those email will go to the reseller instead of the end client. We have this issue all the time.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
face
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:28
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
They should sell or make Softimage 7.01 crowdfunding or better free, without the AD stuff.Nizar wrote:During a web conference on Tuesday, an Autodesk representative said that the company made the decision not to sell Softimage on because it now contains too much proprietary Autodesk IP.
face
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
angus_davidson
Yes, we've had this discussion here also: certain kinds of information (and I'd rate the death of a software among them) shouldn't be left to the reseller (of varying reliability).

Yes, we've had this discussion here also: certain kinds of information (and I'd rate the death of a software among them) shouldn't be left to the reseller (of varying reliability).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
face
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:28
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
You can use the customer support and send a feedback if you are on subscription, then you will get an answer...
face
EDIT:
Ok, maybe not on all questions ;)
face
EDIT:
Ok, maybe not on all questions ;)
Last edited by face on 05 Mar 2014, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
-
NightroadAX
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 16 Nov 2010, 03:23
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news ... n-be-last/
Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54
Personally, I miss the days when companies would acquire/license the best 3rd party software and actually integrate and/or improve them, like Avid integrated Syflex, Shave & a Haircut, & MentalRay. I had some hope when we got Lagoa, but who knows? If Autodesk never took over XSI, we might have had amazing things like the Exocortex & Mootzoid plug-ins and Arnold included with our licenses.. along with actually some decent product support.
Moderator edit: Our tags use square brackets ("[" & "]")
- HB
[sarcasm] Yes, Autodesk, thank you for the viewport cube and "high quality" viewport.[/sarcasm]too much proprietary Autodesk IP
Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54
Personally, I miss the days when companies would acquire/license the best 3rd party software and actually integrate and/or improve them, like Avid integrated Syflex, Shave & a Haircut, & MentalRay. I had some hope when we got Lagoa, but who knows? If Autodesk never took over XSI, we might have had amazing things like the Exocortex & Mootzoid plug-ins and Arnold included with our licenses.. along with actually some decent product support.
Moderator edit: Our tags use square brackets ("[" & "]")
Last edited by NightroadAX on 05 Mar 2014, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
probably they want protect the technology behind viewcube.face wrote:They should sell or make Softimage 7.01 crowdfunding or better free, without the AD stuff.Nizar wrote:During a web conference on Tuesday, an Autodesk representative said that the company made the decision not to sell Softimage on because it now contains too much proprietary Autodesk IP.
face
-
face
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:28
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
I would prefer the Spongebob tweek ;)Nizar wrote: probably they want protect the technology behind viewcube.
face
-
Dwindleflip
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 07 Jan 2013, 01:15
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
What proprietary Autodesk IP? They didnt do shit to the program the entire time they had it.
Take the viewcube out, hq view out, send to mudbox, the camera sequencer and none of us will know the damn difference.
Take the viewcube out, hq view out, send to mudbox, the camera sequencer and none of us will know the damn difference.
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Really? Is it not the reverse, they have integrated/are integrating too much of the Intellectual property of Softimage for Maya to sell Softimage. They move the Softimage team to Maya for that purpose and isolated the new Softimage team from learning anything new.During a web conference on Tuesday, an Autodesk representative said that the company made the decision not to sell Softimage on because it now contains too much proprietary Autodesk IP.
Took them 6 years though...
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
xowgax
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 29 Aug 2009, 20:22
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
http://www.change.org/petitions/autodesk-save-softimage
I really don't feel we'll be getting anywhere until studios that use Softimage ANYWHERE in their pipeline, start sharing links to this on their company's Facebook / Twitter / Blog pages.
I encourage everyone to pass this on towards your company's publicist / social network managers..
I really don't feel we'll be getting anywhere until studios that use Softimage ANYWHERE in their pipeline, start sharing links to this on their company's Facebook / Twitter / Blog pages.
I encourage everyone to pass this on towards your company's publicist / social network managers..