Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by FabricPaul » 09 Aug 2013, 00:21

I will never forget the day that the acquisition was announced. Ugh. Seeing friends (and my wife) get laid off (and working in sales/marketing, it was pretty much everyone I worked with that was let go) is never pleasant, but that was the first time I was in the middle of a big cull like that, that felt so personal. It coloured everything for me at AD. It's the reality of corporate life that these things happen, but I felt like I missed the good times at SI and then the economic crash hit almost as soon as we arrived at AD, so I missed the good times there as well! It was a dark day when the free bagels were taken away. I still resent that.

As a relative noob to Softimage (I've been upgraded from 'loudmouth' at least ;)) I never got to experience the glory years - I was involved in a lot of the rehabilitation of Softimage in Soho before moving to Montreal. I managed 3 months before we were acquired, but it was really great to be working from that office and being a part of things. It was the first time in my career that I was working at the hub. The work we did around ICE is still my favourite period of work - seeing something start to get justified recognition, and then see it generate excitement, is a fantastic feeling. Visiting customers and showing them something they love is such an awesome feeling :) It kind of sucked that we never really got to see it widely used as an SI product. Siggraph 2008 was really a high-water mark for my career at Soft.

XSI 7 was pretty damn special (especially after the 'fun' of XSI 6), I had a lot of fun. I wish we had been funded properly and able to go it alone - that's Avid's fault rather than Autodesk. It's amazing that ICE even happened in the first place, and a credit to the design and engineering team. Anyway, this is reading like an obituary.

All that to say - I was involved in hiring Graham, and it's pretty shit to suggest that he doesn't care. He's a fanatic, bt he's had to become a realist. He's constrained in what he can and can't say, but he wouldn't be here if he didn't give a toss. Ditto for Luc-Eric, who I rarely see eye-to-eye with, but respect for his contributions and loyalty. Neither of them are shills and it's really not fair to lash out at them for expressing their own views.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Aug 2013, 07:44

I'm pretty much done with this topic. I knew I'd ruffle some feathers, but I did not expect this kind of nonsense based on stuff I did not even write. I'm sure there is some English term for that, but alas, the language barrier...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by SamHowell » 09 Aug 2013, 09:00

Hirazi Blue wrote:but alas, the language barrier...;)
This whole thread seems to have a problem with the language barrier. Everyone seems to be musundersatanding each other.

All this thread is about. All these type of threads are always about is one question. Does Softimage have a long term future yes or no?

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Nizar » 09 Aug 2013, 09:12

SamHowell wrote:Does Softimage have a long term future yes or no?
Look clear now.

All others has now an "extension"

I hope only customers will think two or more time before buying ADSK software and remembering how ADSK treated its Softimage users

grreez
Posts: 23
Joined: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42
Skype: soliloquy

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by grreez » 09 Aug 2013, 10:14

SamHowell wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:but alas, the language barrier...;)
Does Softimage have a long term future yes or no?
perhaps this is not the right place to ask these questions....
Autodesk Dark Empire, the only manufacturer/supplier of materials that doesn't know how to deal with customers, and fails to handle once again a situation in a way that leaves the customer thinking they operate a great company.
Many of us customers don't even bother to say a word, they simply leave and buy from other competitors.
Businesses nowadays need to positively delight customers if they want to earn their loyalty.
Also ADSK should read forums more to find out what people really think about Maya which use seems to me a mainstream choice despite the Zillion issues, bugs, most wacky and artist unfriendly GUI i ever seen. That said there is not as much of negative feedback left about Softimage if any.
Last edited by grreez on 09 Aug 2013, 11:17, edited 3 times in total.

mirkoj
Posts: 205
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
Skype: mirko-jankovic

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by mirkoj » 09 Aug 2013, 10:56

"Maya for instance has terrible poly reduction tools so we look at Max and Soft, Soft has the best. We look at Softs code and see how it works and then implement it into Maya. Another
example is Max has the fastest view port they see how that works and translate it into Maya."

So anything from other ever being added to SI except damn cube?
Alembic, Substance... option to preview character with all materials as you would see it in game engine.. to view color, specular normal at the same time that actually works?

The thing is as said before great things are made with SI and will continue to be even being ignore for development... but it does hurt seeing what is happening.. that is all. Is it that hard to understand SI users?
House that is already huge is getting new pool, new heliodrome... while our house could use at least some paint work done and being ignored even for that.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 09 Aug 2013, 12:01

I think all here are not blaming Luc-Eric or Bellsey for Softimage problems, but they are the only ones in here users can complain. I always think that if you don't have anything good to say, it's better to not say anything. And I say this because users are worried. In the Max thread is the same thing. Nobody wants to hear that everything is going to be ok without facts. Or that Maya is getting more features. Or that Softimage is good and is serving as an evolution to the other apps. Frank Delise went there and didn't say much of anything and got crucified.

As much as I understand some posts here, even the joke by Bellsey that Motionbuilder won't have an Extension too, I also understand why some people won't find that funny.

In the beginning of the year the italian guy (forgot his name) appeared in the forum as the new Softimage PM. Everybody was happy because maybe this would improve communication. Now it's been said that he's no longer the PM. All in all, users feel this as bad news and feelings are high. I think we all need to take a step back and calm down.

About the future, of course all this speculation is bad for ADSK. I for one have spend money on some things C4D (plugins) now because when the time comes to buy a commercial license, all indicates that'll go the C4D route as I don't know if investing money on ADSK will help me have more jobs and the new techs here where I live. I already see fewer companies here using Softimage and lot's of agencies and productions companies using C4D. There's a reason for this.

And to think C4D costs more money than Softimage. That's unbelievable because we all know Softimage is a beast.

Cheers.

P.S.: But this is the best forum. The Modo one is very boring. This and the LightWave ones are great forums even though I don't use any of the software. :-B

grreez
Posts: 23
Joined: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42
Skype: soliloquy

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by grreez » 09 Aug 2013, 12:53

ojo3D wrote: P.S.: But this is the best forum. The Modo one is very boring. This and the LightWave ones are great forums even though I don't use any of the software. :-B
What makes you saying that "The Modo one is very boring" ?
I never seen so much activity on any forum
http://forums.luxology.com/forum.aspx?f=4
Very friendly community and bright people.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 09 Aug 2013, 13:06

grreez wrote:What makes you saying that "The Modo one is very boring" ?
I never seen so much activity on any forum
http://forums.luxology.com/forum.aspx?f=4
Very friendly community and bright people.
Just an opinion. ;)

I actually think the LW guys are more friendly.

--- EDIT ---

This ChronoSculpt tool seems very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LTxg&t=735

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by luceric » 09 Aug 2013, 15:28

ojo3D wrote: Just an opinion. ;)
I actually think the LW guys are more friendly.
tip: just don't mention Core

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by ojo3D » 09 Aug 2013, 15:51

luceric wrote:
ojo3D wrote: Just an opinion. ;)
I actually think the LW guys are more friendly.
tip: just don't mention Core
[-(

nicoM
Posts: 21
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 09:24

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by nicoM » 13 Aug 2013, 19:00

On Area there is a video on "Behind the curtain of RD". There you can see a little bit about bifrost! The interface looks a bit like ICE. It is called "Open Procedural FX Framework". Maybe this is what the Maya FX Team is working on!

http://area.autodesk.com/Anaheim2013

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by gustavoeb » 13 Aug 2013, 20:12

wow, the new simulation stuff looks amazing! compound capability is quite nice also...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by bottleofram » 13 Aug 2013, 22:59

Whats that? They cant reveal anything about future products? Awwww, that's a bummer!

Heh, anyway...

It looks exactly like ICE in XSI v7 with a property editor attached on the right. Not that ICE should have exclusive right to such interface - im sure the paradigm existed long before... Whats sad is they just added ANOTHER nodal graph to maya. Seems like they ran out of hypernames too. And theres something called ShaderFX as well. My word...

The elegance, the meaningful engineering, the practical design... Will we ever see it again? I honestly doubt so.

What we'll see is further fragmentation and more time spent on making sure everything works together with, of course, an occasional case of banging the head against the keyboard for good measure.

Someone embedded Braveheart couple of pages ago. But there's a clip that perhaps better articulates how i feel now, going back to maya crowd:


luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by luceric » 13 Aug 2013, 23:13

jesus, it's been a month. (I wonder where did this get held up?) how did you find out the page was updated? I'm happy this is finally up.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Bullit » 14 Aug 2013, 00:05

Doesn't seem nice and pleasant as ICE.
So what Bifrost brings that ICE doesn't have?