Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I'm not sure what was leaked, but there are usually two documents, an overview of the release and another one with the list of fixes with their JIRA ids like "SOFT-2345"...
Last edited by luceric on 21 Mar 2013, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I haven't thought that and didn't say that either.gfxman wrote: If you think that the real problem here are "just" the bugs, and not "that" 2014 release list "no-one has seen", then you're a little naive. At least.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
We all know that bugs are part of software and we should be used to dealing with it by now. Software is a unique product, as its the only thing you'll pay money for that is automatically assumed to drive you crazy with it's imperfections and glitches. Maybe someday it'll be infallible, but its what we have for now.
My main problem is seeing a large company buy everything so they don't have to compete against it. The worst part is they treat their best "acquisition" as if its a supplement to the other 2 major packages, and bury it in their ever expanding list of acquisitions.
My main problem is seeing a large company buy everything so they don't have to compete against it. The worst part is they treat their best "acquisition" as if its a supplement to the other 2 major packages, and bury it in their ever expanding list of acquisitions.
-
t4d
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I am sorry if you took offence ? I really am I'm just posting my opinion. nothing more, I am sorry if you felt it was personal attack from me. I sincerely apologize for realHirazi Blue wrote:@t4d - This is your second post with deliberately insulting remarks at my expense (the first was in the deleted thread, although I didn't delete the thread because of that). You obviously live in a fantasy world where people do not read the posts they respond to. If you do want to "bad mouth" me and my posts like this again, maybe I'm just going to have start to delete them on sight.
I just disagreed with the opinion you have posted,
this is a internet forum it should not be a shock that people post different opinions or even debate issues..should it ?
your posts seem to read ( please correct me if i am wrong ) that we should not rock the boat, there's no need to poke Autodesk about the lack of value in previous and the current update for softimage. because something bad may happen
( sorry if i misread you but that is how i read it .)
I have a different view,. we as users need to point out
A/ there is better ways to spend money then to continue Autodesk subscription ( buy Vray, Arnold or adding modo etc ) and just wait for a future version worth paying for.
B/ I would much prefer give them my money and get a better softimage each year, but how do I get Autodesk to listen ?
Last edited by t4d on 21 Mar 2013, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I greatly appreciate Bellsey posts, although it is clear that he moves trying to stay in a precarious balance between what the company wants and commands, what we would like hear and what he want say.
Other software have bugs and complaints as well, but I don't see customers so disappointed like softimage users.
When modo, houdini, blender or cinema released a new version, the positivity around the community is palpable. Also, complaints and rants are the minority of all user base.
So, the reasons are two:
1) the softimage userbase is never satisfied and rant continuously for the sake of blame ADSK
2) softimage update are not what we expect or, like crowd simulation, don't need at all
From my point of view is obvious I'm irritated when thinking I wasted my money.
Other software have bugs and complaints as well, but I don't see customers so disappointed like softimage users.
When modo, houdini, blender or cinema released a new version, the positivity around the community is palpable. Also, complaints and rants are the minority of all user base.
So, the reasons are two:
1) the softimage userbase is never satisfied and rant continuously for the sake of blame ADSK
2) softimage update are not what we expect or, like crowd simulation, don't need at all
From my point of view is obvious I'm irritated when thinking I wasted my money.
turns on a small light of hope...luceric wrote:I'm not sure what was leaked, but there are usually two documents, an overview of the release and another one with the list of fixes with their JIRA ids like "SOFT-2345"...
-
t4d
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I don't feel anyone should blame the softimage team they would be just like usluceric wrote:The singapore team isn't asleep... they've inherited a huge pile of long-standing bugs, crashes, glitches, and unfinished features from 2013, and that was the top priority this year given the client feedback we had received in the previous years. Chinny liked to called this the "fix your shit" feedback. We usually refer to it as "the backlog"
your given tasks
your given a budget
and you try your best with what your given
everyone wants to do the best job and produce the best work they can
But if your only given minimum tasks, limited budget and limited man power there's only so much you can do.
( I think most here have worked on limited resourced projects before)
the issues is Autodesk management there are the people getting are money for the product we love to use.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
"Funny" (please note the quotation marks) thing is, basically, we knew all along what the next version of Softimage would be like (sort of)
In September 2012 luceric already wrote
So disappointment? Sure!
But we seem to get exactly what Chinny suggested and luceric relayed to us.
@t4d - I've sent you a private message (PM)
In September 2012 luceric already wrote
(Quoted from here)when he left, I think the previous softimage PM - who shall remain unnamed - gave directions to continue to work on ICE Crowds, HQ Viewport.
So disappointment? Sure!
But we seem to get exactly what Chinny suggested and luceric relayed to us.
@t4d - I've sent you a private message (PM)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
It's not about the bugs. They should be addressed and sometimes they are.....
It's about the prospective and future of softimage.
Since the avid days, every new release was HUGE compared to the 2013 one.
2013 showed that softimage is dying.
It's the best software for my need, i tryed to switch to modo but with no luck.
But, let's face it, it's dying. And that is the problem.
The problemi is i've put 10 years of learning and money on a fantastic software witch is going to fade in the fog, with every new autodesk release.
Even lightwave seems to have a brighter feature. And i come from there!
The foundry, should have brought us, not Autos****t.
It's about the prospective and future of softimage.
Since the avid days, every new release was HUGE compared to the 2013 one.
2013 showed that softimage is dying.
It's the best software for my need, i tryed to switch to modo but with no luck.
But, let's face it, it's dying. And that is the problem.
The problemi is i've put 10 years of learning and money on a fantastic software witch is going to fade in the fog, with every new autodesk release.
Even lightwave seems to have a brighter feature. And i come from there!
The foundry, should have brought us, not Autos****t.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Without posting the direct link, Google still has it cached if you want to check it out. Search for "Softimage 2014 Wiki," then look at the cached version that Google has - it is there. (I am hoping that the other document that you mention is a lot better...)luceric wrote:I'm not sure what was leaked, but there are usually two documents, an overview of the release and another one with the list of fixes with their JIRA ids like "SOFT-2345"...
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
there was a lot of stuff in softimage 2013.. look againgfxman wrote:It's not about the bugs. They should be addressed and sometimes they are.....
It's about the prospective and future of softimage.
Since the avid days, every new release was HUGE compared to the 2013 one.
2013 showed that softimage is dying.
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/ind ... on_11.0%29
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/ind ... image_2013
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
luceric wrote:there was a lot of stuff in softimage 2013.. look againgfxman wrote:It's not about the bugs. They should be addressed and sometimes they are.....
It's about the prospective and future of softimage.
Since the avid days, every new release was HUGE compared to the 2013 one.
2013 showed that softimage is dying.
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/ind ... on_11.0%29
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/ind ... image_2013
somebody posted the version 7 list, now that was a feature list.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Not disputing your dissatisfaction, but just to put it in context for other people:jamination wrote:somebody posted the version 7 list, now that was a feature list.
XSI 6.0 was released in 2006, and XSI 7.0 was released in 2008. There were two years between the two releases.
So XSI 7.0 would compare Softimage 2012+Softimage 2012 SAP+Softimage 2013
Also, it was Autodesk that bought Lagoa (Softimage 2011 SAP) and brought Face Robot (Softimage 2011) down to earth.
There were 6 Softimage releases in 4 years.
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuOIfNKz8g
in the mean time in land of free developed software ;)
in the mean time in land of free developed software ;)
-
grendizer
- Posts: 94
- Joined: 17 Apr 2010, 10:41
- Skype: uforobotgrendizerus
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I believe Version 7 was an important release. With ICE, the goal was to make easier for users to develop custom Tools, in a way that was friendly to artists, not just to coders. That was a clear roadmap.
Now what's the roadmap? Crowds? HQ viewports? That's not a roadmap, just features, and they're not even required by the users.
No offence intended, but the last version that made me enthusiast was version 7. From V2 to V7, Softimage was adding incredible features that was making a lot buzz in the industry. Now since the AD acquisition, is Softimage still seen as a revolutionary 3D app? I don't think so.
THIS is the problem Luc.
Now what's the roadmap? Crowds? HQ viewports? That's not a roadmap, just features, and they're not even required by the users.
No offence intended, but the last version that made me enthusiast was version 7. From V2 to V7, Softimage was adding incredible features that was making a lot buzz in the industry. Now since the AD acquisition, is Softimage still seen as a revolutionary 3D app? I don't think so.
THIS is the problem Luc.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
For me, its the fizzling out of ICE-based development thats the biggest disappointment.
Crowd FX doesnt count , as its not fundimentally changing the scope of ICE as a tool to make tools.. its more along the lines of a specialised tool that uses ICE.
By now, I feel that ICE should be able to do more.
Crowd FX doesnt count , as its not fundimentally changing the scope of ICE as a tool to make tools.. its more along the lines of a specialised tool that uses ICE.
By now, I feel that ICE should be able to do more.
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Here here. I would love to see it extended in different ways, better links to the render tree and fxtree, setting data on groups, mature ice kine, basic usability improvements, being able to mute from the explorer, useful context menus etc...Pooby wrote:For me, its the fizzling out of ICE-based development thats the biggest disappointment.
Crowd FX doesnt count , as its not fundimentally changing the scope of ICE as a tool to make tools.. its more along the lines of a specialised tool that uses ICE.
By now, I feel that ICE should be able to do more.
I also think the shape manager has been criminally neglected, it breaks way to often, and should have tools built into it along the lines of the shape tools that come with gear, symmetrizing without changing point order, resetting points, all that stuff.