Bellsey, I do appreciate you coming on and at least trying to answer us the best you can. In accordance to your question - in short...SAPs for maintenance/bug or other nominal issues, and Full Release numbers for new features would be nice. We were told that Softimage 2013 SAP was going to be skipped last year so the team could have even more time to get out a great release, well from that leaked document it seems like an SAP to me. I am not discrediting the hard work by any of the developers, just the way AD goes about everything shows they dont really care. If anything, I think that leaked list can be a turning point in some ways...AD has to surely be aware of all of the negativity that the leaked document has caused. Now, will AD try to pump something out and add in something cool that they have been working on in these past couple of weeks since the leak...the 26th is just the announcment, not the shipping date... If that does end up being the final list, well, I think AD already knows most everyone's response to it...Bellsey wrote:The other packages also have their fair share of disgruntled users, as I'm sure Nuke, C4D, Houdini, Zbrush, etc, also do. But for however many disgruntled users, there's also a fair share of people who are happy with the software. And that's what I mean, it's very hard to make everyone happy, as everyone has their own take and requirements. I think Luc-Eric was pretty much spot on in his post. There actually has been alot of work done in the last few releases, it just perhaps wasn't to everyone's liking. That's the nature of the beast. For some the glass is half full, others it's half empty.jamination wrote: but Autdoesk is not even coming close, I have been using an autodesk product since 3dstudio version 4, and Softimage since 3.5, and the level of discontent among users is reaching a fever pitch, and it just seems that Autodesk HAS to start to listen to this chatter, it just seems unignorable at this point. You are just not hearing this type of negativity from the other camps, in fact they are getting more postives than negatives, Autodesk on the other hand is getting far more negative than positive chatter.
You see it all the time on forums, some people want new features, other just want nothing new only bug fixes. Hypothetically, faced with a choice between one or the other, what would you want? And you couldn't have both.
Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
brudney
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 15:08
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Mark's very recent post from his blog at the Area:
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/cr ... swagen-bus
Hey All,
Sorry for crickets on the blog lately, truth is just dont have much to write about. With Softimage development being moved to Singapore and me moved to a home office in Los Angeles I dont hear a whole lot of news that I can report as strange as that may sound. To be honest, the dozens of profanity laced comments a couple posts ago didn't help. I realize this is one of the only conduits for Soft folks to complain but the people who need to hear it aren't reading this blog so it doesnt do much but make us all look bad.
Within our division of Autodesk things have been a bit of a mess the last year or so. As of January we have a new general manager for the division in place so there is a lot of change happening. I'll be at GDC next week and have a one-on-one meeting setup with him so hopefully I'll learn some answers then. If so I'll be sure to post.
Im hoping as things stabilize I can find someone in Montreal and/or Singapore to help out posting news, I realize this isnt ideal.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/cr ... swagen-bus
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
You can say that for just about any piece of software, made by anyone.bottleofram wrote:Hypothetically you shouldn't be shipping bugs, so there's that.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Bellsey wrote:You can say that for just about any piece of software, made by anyone.bottleofram wrote:Hypothetically you shouldn't be shipping bugs, so there's that.
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Isn't it a little controversial compared to many months ago (2nd and 3rd of august 2012) :Hey All,
Sorry for crickets on the blog lately, truth is just dont have much to write about. With Softimage development being moved to Singapore and me moved to a home office in Los Angeles I dont hear a whole lot of news that I can report as strange as that may sound. To be honest, the dozens of profanity laced comments a couple posts ago didn't help. I realize this is one of the only conduits for Soft folks to complain but the people who need to hear it aren't reading this blog so it doesnt do much but make us all look bad.
Within our division of Autodesk things have been a bit of a mess the last year or so. As of January we have a new general manager for the division in place so there is a lot of change happening. I'll be at GDC next week and have a one-on-one meeting setup with him so hopefully I'll learn some answers then. If so I'll be sure to post.
Im hoping as things stabilize I can find someone in Montreal and/or Singapore to help out posting news, I realize this isnt ideal.
"..With the transition of development moving to Singapore the team put all their focus into the 2014 release......I can promise you there will be some pretty impressive, BIG features in 2014 so hang in there...."
"... Im really impressed with the Singapore team, some very talented people are anxious to prove themselves!! "
"...The team in Singapore are already doing some amazing work on the next release. I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised by what the team is going to deliver in 2014 so stay tuned and hope to see you at the show!!..."?
Pretty curios that 7 months ago there were more news than 5 days before the Softimage 2014's unfold.
-
kiwimation
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
You do know that it is 2013 currently. No where did he say big features in version 2014. So looks like we have a year to wait. 
-
t4d
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
impress?? who ?? we are the customers ?? are you living in opposite world or something ?Hirazi Blue wrote:For those of you who might "miss it", I just deleted my little side-thread (that was called ‘The “Dear Autodesk” thread') intended to focus/address constructive ideas to get Autodesk to notice and respond. I've deleted it because its pointless. I think it's obvious where this is going. And sadly that won't impress Autodesk at all.
WE should be impressed with the Value we get .. if we upset Autodesk by voicing opinion GOOD they should listen..
crazy man just crazy if we upset them what will they do ? discipline us by giving us even less next release and charging more ?? your going to pay are you ? ( oh that's right your the one who thinks if we stop paying Autodesk all computer animation will die ) ...
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
That last post from Mark is a sad state of affairs indeed.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
@t4d - This is your second post with deliberately insulting remarks at my expense (the first was in the deleted thread, although I didn't delete the thread because of that). You obviously live in a fantasy world where people do not read the posts they respond to. If you do want to "bad mouth" me and my posts like this again, maybe I'm just going to have start to delete them on sight.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
hmm... after careful consideration, no doubts about: Beagle Boys stole all the great features ADSK had gently prepared for us fellow customers....Superpositivo wrote:Isn't it a little controversial compared to many months ago (2nd and 3rd of august 2012) :Hey All,
Sorry for crickets on the blog lately, truth is just dont have much to write about. With Softimage development being moved to Singapore and me moved to a home office in Los Angeles I dont hear a whole lot of news that I can report as strange as that may sound. To be honest, the dozens of profanity laced comments a couple posts ago didn't help. I realize this is one of the only conduits for Soft folks to complain but the people who need to hear it aren't reading this blog so it doesnt do much but make us all look bad.
Within our division of Autodesk things have been a bit of a mess the last year or so. As of January we have a new general manager for the division in place so there is a lot of change happening. I'll be at GDC next week and have a one-on-one meeting setup with him so hopefully I'll learn some answers then. If so I'll be sure to post.
Im hoping as things stabilize I can find someone in Montreal and/or Singapore to help out posting news, I realize this isnt ideal.
"..With the transition of development moving to Singapore the team put all their focus into the 2014 release......I can promise you there will be some pretty impressive, BIG features in 2014 so hang in there...."
"... Im really impressed with the Singapore team, some very talented people are anxious to prove themselves!! "
"...The team in Singapore are already doing some amazing work on the next release. I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised by what the team is going to deliver in 2014 so stay tuned and hope to see you at the show!!..."?
Pretty curios that 7 months ago there were more news than 5 days before the Softimage 2014's unfold.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Lol, fair enough.gfxman wrote:Bellsey wrote:You can say that for just about any piece of software, made by anyone.bottleofram wrote:Hypothetically you shouldn't be shipping bugs, so there's that.
But if you can show us some software on the market in this space, which is 100% bug free, then I've yet to see it.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Anyway we all should wait for release and than see is it worth or not.
But you guys at AD, especially ones working on SI need to realize, that people that are paying for your product/services think that your current work does not worth that money. This becomes more evident if we look at what competition is providing to their customers, at some situations for less money. That is all relevant for me as buyer, why should I give you money, what is that you do better than competition, what is last innovation thing you added to SI after ICE etc.?
But you guys at AD, especially ones working on SI need to realize, that people that are paying for your product/services think that your current work does not worth that money. This becomes more evident if we look at what competition is providing to their customers, at some situations for less money. That is all relevant for me as buyer, why should I give you money, what is that you do better than competition, what is last innovation thing you added to SI after ICE etc.?
- H -
-
Sil3
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:17
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
All have them... but I personally never understood why the Costumer has to keep paying to get them fixed... it happens in almost all softwares but not all of the ask money to have them fixed.Bellsey wrote: But if you can show us some software on the market in this space, which is 100% bug free, then I've yet to see it.
Would you pay some company to paint your house and after their workers did miss some spots and badly painted other, you complained and they asks you more money to go back and fix the crap they did? It's unrealistic isn't it? You probably would sue them and asked you money back or would never have their services again and told that to all your friends.
Don't know why the same doesn't apply to software. We are allowed to buy bug ridden tools but then we are expected to pay a maintenance or forced upgrade to have those fixed while other are introduced. Its a never ending cycle that perpetuates this treatment and keep AD and others making revenues.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
If you think that the real problem here are "just" the bugs, and not "that" 2014 release list "no-one has seen", then you're a little naive. At least.Bellsey wrote:Lol, fair enough.![]()
But if you can show us some software on the market in this space, which is 100% bug free, then I've yet to see it.
The problem is that softimage seems to be abbandoned and the Autodesk acquisition has gone...the way we all expected to be.
here we are folks: the big names in team gone or moved to maya, the new team "people in singapore" (not to offend anyone but, seems to me like the "let's build it cheap from chinese in house fabrique ").
But, i'll wait and see the real 2014 release list
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
The singapore team isn't asleep... they've inherited a huge pile of long-standing bugs, crashes, glitches, and unfinished features from 2013, and that was the top priority this year given the client feedback we had received in the previous years. Chinny liked to called this the "fix your shit" feedback. We usually refer to it as "the backlog"
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
will all those fixes be in next release doc?
and leaked list is just small short part of all bug fixes that are made...
honestly if they did have a full year of bug crushing that should be like an bug genocide and clear a lot of issues till now, unless there was some huge rewriting done.
would be shame to have full year of work with just a couple of bug fixes as leaked list suggested
no one has nothing against bug crushing BUT bug crushing release should be actually service pack and not to charge people for fixing thing.
and full version should be full version right
I guess that problem is where there is no difference made between bug fixing and new version
and leaked list is just small short part of all bug fixes that are made...
honestly if they did have a full year of bug crushing that should be like an bug genocide and clear a lot of issues till now, unless there was some huge rewriting done.
would be shame to have full year of work with just a couple of bug fixes as leaked list suggested
no one has nothing against bug crushing BUT bug crushing release should be actually service pack and not to charge people for fixing thing.
and full version should be full version right
I guess that problem is where there is no difference made between bug fixing and new version