Final thoughts - for this is the last time I will do this.
SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Lets see if he keep his promise, or not...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I'm pretty sure he will. Tbh, I know how he feels, lolgustavoeb wrote:Lets see if he keep his promise, or not...
Final thoughts - for this is the last time I will do this.
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Im trying my best not to be a fearmonger, but what does it say when we still spend far more time than anyone should on silly discussions and bitter rants on AD and its treatment of xsi? His words resonated strongly back in 2010 - at this moment, im not sure they entail the same belief.Hirazi Blue wrote:I foresee the "A Softimage Letter 2 - The Revenge of the Chin" in the near future...
;)
Someone called this the weakest update so far - I dont know about that, but i do know that with generalized packages on short cycles you are bound to have a slow year at some point. Under Autodesk we are used to it. Other packages that people find too quick to compare their software with, took much longer in order to make a bang they did recently. Modo601 took fourteen months and Houdini12 nineteenth. Only specialized software like zbrush or nuke can handle rapid development. Which is why i would advise anyone who thinks grass is greener over the fence to be careful about what hides underneath.
What scares me, though, is the fact that autodesk is adamant they are developing and selling 3 standalone products but nothing we've seen so far couldn't point more in other direction. Im just echoing what others said, but soon paying for a suite will not be an option - it will be a requirement. And then... than we'll look back and say "just how blind a person can be to support its own financial demise?"
Im not even gonna apologize for going straight into fear mongering after declaring im trying not to do so... Too much to hold it back.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
This whole thread is so f'ing screwed. Right out of the gate people are passing judgement on the new version without even touching it. On top of that they aren't even being polite about it and are just straight up being rude to Graham, Chinny, and the devs. They have been nothing but honest with everyone and you insist on knowing more about the situation than they do. Why would they lie to you? If you think they are that diabolical then why are you still using a product they work on and distrust so much?
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I think very few of these comments have gone into the "very rude" category, I think there is a lot of honesty going on here. I get that you are very happy with this release and that is great, and if there is more people there are very happy, please let them speak, and the unhappy as well.
I don't need to get my "hands" on this release to know that the main bullet points are of very little use to me.
I don't need to get my "hands" on this release to know that the main bullet points are of very little use to me.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
mixepix
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 13:17
- Location: Sweden
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I think CrowdFX is a pretty good move if you want MAX & Maya people to spend more time with ICE. The High Quality Viewport will be a huge time saver and I will probably use the animation timing thingy all the time. Good release for me! 
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
No it's rude to argue with someone is providing information and trying to help and insisting that they know better than someone working at the company. It's also easy for those peopel to hide behind their screen names too as they have no responsibility to own what they say.
Just because they are of little use to you, doesn't mean its a bad release. People are throwing "bad release" around too easily. As you have (jamination), indicate that the new features aren't useful to you and provide a list of things you would have like addressed instead.
Just because they are of little use to you, doesn't mean its a bad release. People are throwing "bad release" around too easily. As you have (jamination), indicate that the new features aren't useful to you and provide a list of things you would have like addressed instead.
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Never meant to "hide" behind a screen name, just a matter of convenience for me. I will try to fix that so the problem doesn't come up later.
edit: I have read thru these posts, and I haven't come across anyone disrespecting the dev team. Obviously saying it is the worst release, is both subjective and personal, only.
Phil Harbath
edit: I have read thru these posts, and I haven't come across anyone disrespecting the dev team. Obviously saying it is the worst release, is both subjective and personal, only.
Phil Harbath
Last edited by jamination on 29 Mar 2012, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I wasn't aiming that at you Phil. 
-
delpiero10
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 10:52
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Btw for those here who are interested some great crowdfx videos from one of the people behind it Guillaume Laforge
Siddharth Bolurker
Solutions Engineer
Autodesk Media and Entertainment -Autodesk Singapore
Solutions Engineer
Autodesk Media and Entertainment -Autodesk Singapore
-
Firebird
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:08
- Location: Vienna
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I wont comment on the release and features before I didn't tried it myself.
Also I don´t understand why some ppl are bashing so hard at the dev team or even say its the worst release ever, I don´t think so, and I will be very happy at the day when I can download it and play around, like always when I got a new XSI
in my hands.
The only thing I can agree with is the presentation.(no offense,just my idea after I saw the reactions in the forum) When I see the new Videos on Vimeo with the HQViewport(reflectiv sculpture) or the crowd tests posted above, might be an Idea to also include them on the presentation page.
Also my idea would be to start using the same scenes like in, lets say maya videos, as an example (just because I don't watch the max ones).
The scene with the girl, car and hole BG ENV, where they show Motionbuilder connectivity.
Because I think even if you only show a new "lets say, bullet ridged body integration" Where a sphere bounces of the ground.
Alot of ppl will be more impressed if its in front of this full scene and not in an empty one with sphere and grid only.
I know its Bullshitting but thats what alot of ppl need I think.
Might be an suggestion for the next releases.
Again no offense about what has been done by the team, but as a SI Fanboy I don't like all this negativity on the Forums and a bit polished bullshitting might help to counteract.
Also I don´t understand why some ppl are bashing so hard at the dev team or even say its the worst release ever, I don´t think so, and I will be very happy at the day when I can download it and play around, like always when I got a new XSI
The only thing I can agree with is the presentation.(no offense,just my idea after I saw the reactions in the forum) When I see the new Videos on Vimeo with the HQViewport(reflectiv sculpture) or the crowd tests posted above, might be an Idea to also include them on the presentation page.
Also my idea would be to start using the same scenes like in, lets say maya videos, as an example (just because I don't watch the max ones).
The scene with the girl, car and hole BG ENV, where they show Motionbuilder connectivity.
Because I think even if you only show a new "lets say, bullet ridged body integration" Where a sphere bounces of the ground.
Alot of ppl will be more impressed if its in front of this full scene and not in an empty one with sphere and grid only.
I know its Bullshitting but thats what alot of ppl need I think.
Might be an suggestion for the next releases.
Again no offense about what has been done by the team, but as a SI Fanboy I don't like all this negativity on the Forums and a bit polished bullshitting might help to counteract.
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Do you think you are the only one with the right attitude here, right?EricTRocks wrote:This whole thread is so f'ing screwed. Right out of the gate people are passing judgement on the new version without even touching it. On top of that they aren't even being polite about it and are just straight up being rude to Graham, Chinny, and the devs. They have been nothing but honest with everyone and you insist on knowing more about the situation than they do. Why would they lie to you? If you think they are that diabolical then why are you still using a product they work on and distrust so much?
I've the same rights as you to say what i think. Even if i'm on the negative side.
The list of improvements is right there and i can judge it. For me it's disappointing, can't even understand
what kind of customer they are targeting, almost....nobody in this forum.
If the list of feature is not the right way to judge something, they shouldnt publish it at all.
The "quality" of the presentation is very low, read the comment, they're pointing all in one direction.
Criticism is not lack of respect for other's people work.
Whitout some quality critics, nothing will never improve.
Last but not least, it's simply unbelieveble that AD can't make any better presentation. I don't know how thing "really" works in AD but at this point, i don't care.
Softimage 2013 has a very, very poor presentation.
Was it rushed?
They don't even care anymore?
You shouldn't show your work in that poor way, if you care. You're hurting yourself.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
No but yours is definitely not constructive or respectfulgfxman wrote: Do you think you are the only one with the right attitude here, right?
You're correct, and I can state my opinion of your "opinions" and what you say.I've the same rights as you to say what i think. Even if i'm on the negative side.
Criticism is constructive. Most of your comments are simply, this is crap, that is crap, they didn't do anything right. Then you argue that the valid reasons they give are crap. Your suggestions for making the presentation videos a bit better is the only thing I see that is even close to being constructive.Criticism is not lack of respect for other's people work.
Your questions have been answered by Graham repeatedly. You'll find your answers a few pages back in the thread.Last but not least, it's simply unbelieveble that AD can't make any better presentation. I don't know how thing "really" works in AD but at this point, i don't care.
Softimage 2013 has a very, very poor presentation.
Was it rushed?
They don't even care anymore?
You shouldn't show your work in that poor way, if you care. You're hurting yourself.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Sorry Eric, I completely disagree with that assessment and no, I am not going to sign with my "real" name, as I think using aliases on forums is not necessarily meant as a way to hide behind them.EricTRocks wrote:It's also easy for those peopel to hide behind their screen names too as they have no responsibility to own what they say.
And everybody should relax a little! Launch dates often bring a lot of tension to the surface.
Harsh things can be said in the heat of the moment. That's understandable...
But anyhow, I noticed I kept my own views on the new release to myself until now. I am convinced this isn't the "worst release ever". Version 7.5 will hardly ever be "surpassed" in that respect IMHO. I actually like what I'm seeing in the feature list. Not a lot, but enough to regain my own confidence in the Softimage devs (confidence that to me personally started to slip a little when 2012.5 was released). Mind you, I am a "mere" hobbyist: I play with the cards that are dealt to me. And new toys like this are always welcome. The hidden gem might just as well prove to be the topic of Bellsey's first (and only lasting) Tech Preview, the Animation retiming.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
That's not true, at all. It's just you don't like my opinion.No but yours is definitely not constructive or respectful
So i canYou're correct, and I can state my opinion of your "opinions" and what you say.
That's not true, again. If it was for you, this would be a great release and a very good presentation. I've said:Criticism is constructive. Most of your comments are simply, this is crap, that is crap, they didn't do anything right. Then you argue that the valid reasons they give are crap. Your suggestions for making the presentation videos a bit better is the only thing I see that is even close to being constructive.
-that videos are too few ( 2 in a page, 7 in the other. 2 identical, the other about the crowd new feature)
-some videos are about very minor thing ( do you call it " render improvments?")
-they used very poor scene from an artistic point of view ( it matters, belive me )
-the last version presentation has better and more videos
That's just for the quality of the presentation.
Wow! That's ok! now it's all clear.Your questions have been answered by Graham repeatedly. You'll find your answers a few pages back in the thread.
There is no one that knows Softimage at AD that can made some decent demo videos for the launch of it.
We should very happy about that, that's a good thing right?
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I don't think it is meant for that either, however when you're behind one you don't have any responsibility or consequences to what you say. You have to think, would the person say what they are saying in person with other professionals present? I used to only post via my screen name without my site and name in my signature. Since I've added that I've seen that I get taken more seriously and if I do say anything that may be offensive I have nothing to hide behind and have to own up to what I've posted. That's my opinion obviously.Hirazi Blue wrote:Sorry Eric, I completely disagree with that assessment and no, I am not going to sign with my "real" name, as I think using aliases on forums is not necessarily meant as a way to hide behind them.