AVID AND SI WILL BE ALWAYS ON OUR DIGITAL FINGER
Autodesk retires Softimage
-
ombra
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 15:38
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
IS TIME TO CHANGE JOBS , NEAR 40 IS SIMPLER ??????!!!!! AD F........K AND LEARN TO PROGRAM FROM THE BIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AVID AND SI WILL BE ALWAYS ON OUR DIGITAL FINGER

AVID AND SI WILL BE ALWAYS ON OUR DIGITAL FINGER
-
mattf06
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 22 Jan 2013, 10:25
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
The answer to that is fairly simple. Max will put on the same development void. They have already had to have an intervention this year over non development. The vfx side will fold into Maya, possible it will go on purely as an Architectural program. So Maya will be the one left standing until the new gen comes out sometime in the future.mattf06 wrote:This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
OzAdi
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 11:13
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
I am listening to this now... sad days
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Well. killing me "softly" isn't what AD did yesterday... 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
AD is not known for their tact and or subtlety and after this announcement their business intelligence.Hirazi Blue wrote:Well. killing me "softly" isn't what AD did yesterday...
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
dirtydog
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
- Location: motherwell scotland
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
When did AD make any decent software never mind next gen apps.angus_davidson wrote:The answer to that is fairly simple. Max will put on the same development void. They have already had to have an intervention this year over non development. The vfx side will fold into Maya, possible it will go on purely as an Architectural program. So Maya will be the one left standing until the new gen comes out sometime in the future.mattf06 wrote:This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Well nothing in the DCC space. More their manufacturing side. Its what they should have stuck to.dirtydog wrote:When did AD make any decent software never mind next gen apps.angus_davidson wrote:The answer to that is fairly simple. Max will put on the same development void. They have already had to have an intervention this year over non development. The vfx side will fold into Maya, possible it will go on purely as an Architectural program. So Maya will be the one left standing until the new gen comes out sometime in the future.mattf06 wrote:This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
I'm not so sure, Max is one of Autodesk’s top products, so there are no plans to discontinue it. If you look, it's in every one of the Suites that Autodesk offers.angus_davidson wrote:The answer to that is fairly simple. Max will put on the same development void. They have already had to have an intervention this year over non development. The vfx side will fold into Maya, possible it will go on purely as an Architectural program. So Maya will be the one left standing until the new gen comes out sometime in the future.mattf06 wrote:This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
Though I've never been a big user of Max, it's always had this broad appeal across different industries and that's likely to continue.
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Its not going to continue unless the development is ramped up significantly I would suspect. Just like Autodesk has to be concerned about their investors, people using Max are also very concerned about their ROI (ie subscription fees) I dont know any max users who are happy about their value for money when it comes to features and fixes. Thier only bright point was that it was marginly better then Softimage ROI. Now they are at the bottom of the pile and thats not a great place to be. As we know from experience ;(Bellsey wrote:I'm not so sure, Max is one of Autodesk’s top products, so there are no plans to discontinue it. If you look, it's in every one of the Suites that Autodesk offers.angus_davidson wrote:The answer to that is fairly simple. Max will put on the same development void. They have already had to have an intervention this year over non development. The vfx side will fold into Maya, possible it will go on purely as an Architectural program. So Maya will be the one left standing until the new gen comes out sometime in the future.mattf06 wrote:This is a very sad day!
But I'm little bit shocked by VFX studio silence! I can't imagine SolidAngle working during several years on SI plugin for nothing! What about The Mill? What about all studios which use SI daily? Changing all workflow is nothing for them? It cost nothing? How can they accept that from AD?
Clearly, AD strategy was to kill Softimage to impose Maya/3DSMax.... who's the next?
Though I've never been a big user of Max, it's always had this broad appeal across different industries and that's likely to continue.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
8infinite8
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 17:50
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Quoted for agreement.Pooby wrote:So why buy another one in the first place?So why kill off Softimage? Well, Autodesk already have two insanely popular, industry standard 3D software products on their books
Well you should have retired Softimage WHEN you had that functionality. Not when you've just started,and start adding Softimage’s functionality into the Entertainment Creation Suites. So it’s not a proper goodbye, more like ‘see you around’.
You *@&*$%£^ bunch of *&$^&^£'s
This was a pure dastardly move by Autodesk. Buyout and bury. The buy out was one thing but to then bury something without selling back to the community to another buyer so it can't compete. Sinister. Disgusting.
F*&^ you Autodesk. You just lost a customer. In return, I wont be renewing my Mudbox subscription. I will be buying Mari.
https://www.change.org/petitions/autode ... -softimage
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
max has ALOT more customers then si, you cant compare it.angus_davidson wrote:
Its not going to continue unless the development is ramped up significantly I would suspect. Just like Autodesk has to be concerned about their investors, people using Max are also very concerned about their ROI (ie subscription fees) I dont know any max users who are happy about their value for money when it comes to features and fixes. Thier only bright point was that it was marginly better then Softimage ROI. Now they are at the bottom of the pile and thats not a great place to be. As we know from experience ;(
and also here i think some people misunderstood one thing. if the max dev is that bad, why it has so many subs? some people are whining, thats right, but the dev cant be that bad with so many users on sub (or selled lics). if its bad and they still paying for it, they do it with full knowledge of the situation. so dont blame ad for this. if you want to blame someone for this, then it should be the users which supports such developement actively with money.
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
The lack of sales of Softimage seats is once again down to Autodesk! From day one it was sidelined and made an unattractive option by being underdeveloped and overpriced, especially for the so called 'Gold' subscription only!Kzin wrote:max has ALOT more customers then si, you cant compare it.angus_davidson wrote:
Its not going to continue unless the development is ramped up significantly I would suspect. Just like Autodesk has to be concerned about their investors, people using Max are also very concerned about their ROI (ie subscription fees) I dont know any max users who are happy about their value for money when it comes to features and fixes. Thier only bright point was that it was marginly better then Softimage ROI. Now they are at the bottom of the pile and thats not a great place to be. As we know from experience ;(
and also here i think some people misunderstood one thing. if the max dev is that bad, why it has so many subs? some people are whining, thats right, but the dev cant be that bad with so many users on sub (or selled lics). if its bad and they still paying for it, they do it with full knowledge of the situation. so dont blame ad for this. if you want to blame someone for this, then it should be the users which supports such developement actively with money.
If they had put even a small amount of effort into showing what an amazing piece of software Softimage is it would have become a real competitor to Max and Maya, but of course that's not what the suits at Autodesk wanted.
Now I am having to look more closely at what Max and Maya offer to my studio, it is becoming very clear that they are both rather poor options compared to what I currently have.
-
8infinite8
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 17:50
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
This.azurecgi wrote:Kzin wrote:angus_davidson wrote: If they had put even a small amount of effort into showing what an amazing piece of software Softimage is it would have become a real competitor to Max and Maya, but of course that's not what the suits at Autodesk wanted.
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: Autodesk retires Softimage
Don't worry, I say it now and clear:
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
(ops... I guess I just doomed it...)
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
...the future of 3Dmax is bright...
(ops... I guess I just doomed it...)