SI 2013 sightings

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Apr 2012, 18:09

jamination wrote:the less they add the less likely there will be any showstopping problems:)
:))
but seriously: not having to wait for the ever-necessary ".01" or SP1 for parts of the software to actually work as advertised should count for something also...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

jamination
Posts: 174
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by jamination » 16 Apr 2012, 18:19

as a modeler I really like Modo, it has many tools that Softimage just does not have, however I personally need a package with strong character animation tools, and athough I really want it to be I don't believe it is close to competing in that department yet, but I look foward to the day that it does. Let's be honest, years ago Softimage was strength was its animation tool set, however, I do not think Autodesk is concentrating on that anymore rather slip features in that make it more attractive to the Max/Maya folk.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by SreckoM » 16 Apr 2012, 18:34

Well Max you have to decide. Go to other app or buy another render engine. Skip this sub and invest money into that.
Softimage with MentalRay will not be friendly tool for archviz, I would say, in near future. Why torturing yourself?
- H -

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Eugen » 16 Apr 2012, 18:57

Go for VRay? Good cost-performance ratio.
De facto standard for archvis in the max world.

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Kerro Perro » 16 Apr 2012, 18:58

Hmm interesting, i've not tried Modo but the more i look at it the more i think it's just good marketing ;) But i might be completely wrong!

As for crashes/bugs: i was just trying out some line rendering tests with V-Ray an 3Delight and had about 5 crashes in a row - V-Ray crashed a lot in 2012 but 3Delight never crashed before... But these might not be the sort of bugs you mean Hirazi.

One last thought i had: i know you all hate the Max and Maya integration stuff - and for me that stuff is less than useless as i plan to stay solo and want to use only one 3d app as much as possible - but the upside might be it would mean it'll be easier for SI-dudes to get jobs in studios without having to be forced to use the Terrible Two :P

But that's just a thought and as i say it means nothing for me... one that is really bugging me is why no IRay?? We all know it's already in there! (damn it now you got me goin' too ;) )

Clagman
Posts: 28
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 16:28

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Clagman » 16 Apr 2012, 20:40

The intergration stuff is good for all even if you only ever use Softimage simply because if you are freelancing for a studio you might have to submit your work to a strickly Maya production house and the better the integration the less likely they are to ask you to create everything in Maya (forcing you to purchase another app). Besides all that now that AD is doing the whole "suite" thing, you really have to expect interchange tools. Truly, how crappy would it be if AD software didn't speak to each other. I have a pretty diverse software environment here and it does come in handy on a regular basis even if I myself don't use Maya much.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Bellsey » 16 Apr 2012, 22:54

Clagman wrote:The intergration stuff is good for all even if you only ever use Softimage simply because if you are freelancing for a studio you might have to submit your work to a strickly Maya production house and the better the integration the less likely they are to ask you to create everything in Maya (forcing you to purchase another app). Besides all that now that AD is doing the whole "suite" thing, you really have to expect interchange tools. Truly, how crappy would it be if AD software didn't speak to each other. I have a pretty diverse software environment here and it does come in handy on a regular basis even if I myself don't use Maya much.
This is one of the real crux's for me. The landscape and environment in which 3D/CG work is produced and created now has changed alot in a relatively short space of time. Some packages have changed or lost their ground, but at the same time, there's been some new ones emerge or mature into proper solutions. Also people's views have changed now based on the work that they have to do and they look for different things from their packages. There's also many who still judge their software by how may new features it has each year, which although initially sounds ok, it does muddy the waters on what are the real issues for people. Imo, the days of feature counting are gone but many (vendors and consumers) still have this mindset.

Many people might say they're not bothered about the ADSK interop stuff especially for Maya and Max, but the chances are that many are already using multiple apps (ADSK or not) in their studios and/or workflows. Interop and the ability to exchange data will always be important issue so when you consider the packages that ADSK has to offer, it really should make sense that at the very least they can play nice together. But at the same time, its important to remember there's other stuff out there, the problem is getting the various vendors to all agree on some kind of standard. There's still no 'jpg for 3D' as I like to call it. Softimage gave it a good shot with the dotXSI/Collada format, and what would become Crosswalk, but its hard getting people on board.
That's what I like about initiatives like Alembic, as there are multiple vendors on board, but ultimately its not their format.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Nizar » 16 Apr 2012, 23:26

About the modo OT:
Modo is a good product. I think in its range price is the best.

No, it is not a too many clicks monster like I thought in a near past: modo is, practically, a raw tools box, you can set it like you want, combining tools and set as you like. about the too many clicks issue, please, look this video: http://www.luxology.com/training/video.aspx?id=530

About workflow, agree, softimage is better, but modo has many nice good point in it, sculpt, traditional modelling, painting, pose a character and animate and rendering in a single package is a great thing IMHO. I.E. can modelling poly by poly, then need to push mesh ala zbrush, call my Move Brush (without cage my interface/windows) doing what I want, and turn back to my classical poly modelling or, in my sculpt session need an extra loop in particular point, activate shortcut for adding a loop and continue my sculpt (in XSI/zbrush need to import export continuously), and no compatibility issue (argh... I hate zbrush when want at all costs the damn quads or messy the mesh! :D

Idem for paint and UV, can paint directly in modo, so if I found a issue in my UVmap (modo unwrap more evolute and power compared to Softimage), open the UV window and correct the error. So, workflow is a bit immature, but has great advantage.

Interface cannot appeal, but again, is totally customizable: can cage menu position, create personalized pie menu (with icon or only letters) or floating menu, tabs, record in a simple way macros and put it in menu/shortcut/button/piemenu/tab, cage all shourtcuts you want or add as you like (exactly like softimage) and cage the interaction mode and mapping mouse (can select the softimage S key interaction :)

IMHO, for characters rendering engine (with or without render pass) is really nice, power, simple and fast and really love the Fprime like preview window.

Last point I like in modo is Luxology attitude: community want something, they doing the best for concretize the customers needs, and release after release I didn't see so happy community like Luxology have. The sensation is a company that truly believes in the product. I expect in the next release they will consolidate and improve the nice features and workflow just have. And I like little company who fight against colossus.

Don't like the community fanboys and, obviously the modo crash... but (usually) after one or two SP become more solid. Also, modo cannot handle the flux data SI handle easily (weak viewport)

I think Modo deserves a serious trial.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by SreckoM » 17 Apr 2012, 09:26

Bellsey wrote:
Clagman wrote:The intergration stuff is good for all even if you only ever use Softimage simply because if you are freelancing for a studio you might have to submit your work to a strickly Maya production house and the better the integration the less likely they are to ask you to create everything in Maya (forcing you to purchase another app). Besides all that now that AD is doing the whole "suite" thing, you really have to expect interchange tools. Truly, how crappy would it be if AD software didn't speak to each other. I have a pretty diverse software environment here and it does come in handy on a regular basis even if I myself don't use Maya much.
This is one of the real crux's for me. The landscape and environment in which 3D/CG work is produced and created now has changed alot in a relatively short space of time. Some packages have changed or lost their ground, but at the same time, there's been some new ones emerge or mature into proper solutions. Also people's views have changed now based on the work that they have to do and they look for different things from their packages. There's also many who still judge their software by how may new features it has each year, which although initially sounds ok, it does muddy the waters on what are the real issues for people. Imo, the days of feature counting are gone but many (vendors and consumers) still have this mindset.

Many people might say they're not bothered about the ADSK interop stuff especially for Maya and Max, but the chances are that many are already using multiple apps (ADSK or not) in their studios and/or workflows. Interop and the ability to exchange data will always be important issue so when you consider the packages that ADSK has to offer, it really should make sense that at the very least they can play nice together. But at the same time, its important to remember there's other stuff out there, the problem is getting the various vendors to all agree on some kind of standard. There's still no 'jpg for 3D' as I like to call it. Softimage gave it a good shot with the dotXSI/Collada format, and what would become Crosswalk, but its hard getting people on board.
That's what I like about initiatives like Alembic, as there are multiple vendors on board, but ultimately its not their format.
Yeah, this sounds like AD strategy. Unfortunately this might be good only for larger studios. For freelancers or small studios this is just too expensive way, both money and time. What I dislike with this appraoch is that it will force development of just specific part of app and for other it will be expected to use another app from Suite...
- H -

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Bellsey » 17 Apr 2012, 09:57

SreckoM wrote:
Bellsey wrote:
Clagman wrote:The intergration stuff is good for all even if you only ever use Softimage simply because if you are freelancing for a studio you might have to submit your work to a strickly Maya production house and the better the integration the less likely they are to ask you to create everything in Maya (forcing you to purchase another app). Besides all that now that AD is doing the whole "suite" thing, you really have to expect interchange tools. Truly, how crappy would it be if AD software didn't speak to each other. I have a pretty diverse software environment here and it does come in handy on a regular basis even if I myself don't use Maya much.
This is one of the real crux's for me. The landscape and environment in which 3D/CG work is produced and created now has changed alot in a relatively short space of time. Some packages have changed or lost their ground, but at the same time, there's been some new ones emerge or mature into proper solutions. Also people's views have changed now based on the work that they have to do and they look for different things from their packages. There's also many who still judge their software by how may new features it has each year, which although initially sounds ok, it does muddy the waters on what are the real issues for people. Imo, the days of feature counting are gone but many (vendors and consumers) still have this mindset.

Many people might say they're not bothered about the ADSK interop stuff especially for Maya and Max, but the chances are that many are already using multiple apps (ADSK or not) in their studios and/or workflows. Interop and the ability to exchange data will always be important issue so when you consider the packages that ADSK has to offer, it really should make sense that at the very least they can play nice together. But at the same time, its important to remember there's other stuff out there, the problem is getting the various vendors to all agree on some kind of standard. There's still no 'jpg for 3D' as I like to call it. Softimage gave it a good shot with the dotXSI/Collada format, and what would become Crosswalk, but its hard getting people on board.
That's what I like about initiatives like Alembic, as there are multiple vendors on board, but ultimately its not their format.
Yeah, this sounds like AD strategy. Unfortunately this might be good only for larger studios. For freelancers or small studios this is just too expensive way, both money and time. What I dislike with this appraoch is that it will force development of just specific part of app and for other it will be expected to use another app from Suite...
This might be ADSK strategy but they're also responding to various trends in the market and productions. I also don't quite agree that this only play to larger studios, in fact I would say its more the opposite. Larger studios will often have more technical resource for developing their own tools, whereas the freelancer and small/meduim studios don't always have this luxury. Some will resource for tools, but it perhaps has to be more focused in specifics. However many studios, large or small will happily dip in and out of various packages to get their work done, but obviously data and pipeline integrity always remains important. Personally I don't see much difference between ADSK interoping between their products and then someone trying to interop between, for example Modo, Cinema4D, Houdini, Zbrush, 3Dcoat, Topogun, Nuke and so on. And people are already doing this right now.

Considering the packages and solutions that ADSK has, which many people are already using, it just makes sense that they would try and facilitate this as much as possible, with or without a Suites context. And we hear this alot from users, large or small.
Not only am I a Softimage user, but I also use Maya, Mobu and Mudbox in equal measure. And I used these packages myself in production before I joined Softimage/Autodesk, so personally I like the idea of Suites and interop because I know how frustrating it can be in trying to use multiple apps.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by SreckoM » 17 Apr 2012, 10:49

Unfortunately, at the moment, I just can not afford all that. I need app that will cover as much aspects as possible, I really think that it is not good to invest into app that is brilliant in one aspect but lacks a lot in other, it hurts my business. I guess it is because nature of my work, and that is why I do not like that idea, selfish I guess. One of the reasons I switched to XSI from Maya long ago.

I realize that interoperability between app is way to go, but at the moment AD offer is just too expensive for me. For less money, I think, that there are much better apps out there to add to XSI than what AD offer, like Modo, new render engines, Zbrush ...
- H -

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Apr 2012, 10:55

Personally I think Autodesk will only be able to "sell the idea" of "The Suite Life" to Softimage users once they start offering a "Softimage Creation Suite" outside of Japan. At the moment "going Suite" always means going "Suite Premium", if you want to keep Softimage. The Suites are expensive enough as is (at least from my perspective), having to pay extra to allow continuous use of Softimage still seems slightly insulting to long-term Softimage users (like myself).
$-)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by bottleofram » 17 Apr 2012, 13:47

A quote from Guillaume Laforge's LinkedIn profile
Senior SW Engineer
Autodesk
Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; ADSK; Computer Software industry

March 2012 – Present (2 months) Montreal, Canada Area
Working in the Maya team on a new technology for the VFX industry
Speechless. :|

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by gustavoeb » 17 Apr 2012, 14:13

wow, for real!
so ICE is definetly comming to Maya then
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Fer
Posts: 52
Joined: 03 May 2011, 12:38

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Fer » 17 Apr 2012, 14:22

gustavoeb wrote:wow, for real!
so ICE is definetly comming to Maya then
Going.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Bellsey » 17 Apr 2012, 14:38

Lets not try and read too much into things, eh?