Post
by Draise » 28 Oct 2017, 16:07
I wonder if their business model was unsustainable. Free for independent use, 50 free licenses for small studios (which still is a pretty large studio) and then charging unknown costs for larger studios. I don't know many studios larger than 50 technical seats that would need FE everywhere to have even had the need to purchase that software platform. The cash market was... super small, strong yet, but a brick wall to get into (with 3/5 year turnover on projects and tech upgrading cycles and monumental costs to assimualte new tech hurdles). I was pro leaving it free for small people, let it gain traction for small studios and independants, get people into it.... but even I, who kiiinda knows a little visual programming with ICE, still struggled on thinking up practical applications to invest the time figuring it out in FE. Maybe that is why it didn't stick? Maybe the tech got bought out by a larger system? A huge tech giant wanting to assimulate the tech? Maybe they walked away with bucketloads and new high paying job from their excellent work? Maybe they didin't want to announce the buyout due to whiplash? Maybe they never intended to make it an independant product in the long term? Not releasing it as opensource? (because it was essentially free anyway).... I am sure some huge animationg/vfx industry has it in their shop, now owns it, and will excell with it.
There may be hundreds of factors to it.... but it's still sad. I wish there were some kind of museum for all EOL software, free as in public domain, like a library you could possibly pay to cover maintenance of the servers/liscenses for no-long available software, everywhere... I hope there will be some kind of "Hipster" software artists too "Yeah, I made this from a 2010's software" "woaaaah, that's so rad, take my money, that style is so retro!", like there still is handdrawn art and animation today.. I would hate to see these gems only become a wikipedia article soon forgotten - leaving the world in another 5-10 year darkness till the rest of the world catches up to similar ideas... all those hundreds of man hours invested, dissappear, no-longer enjoyed, no-longer exploited or used.
I thought it was revolutionary: visual programming to build (not just process) 3D and artistic data, integrated into established systems, and it all was running and compiled off GPU speed with a syntax like Python.. The ideas were like... a canvas to build my own software and inhouse pipeline without needing a team of programmers to do it nor learn a coding language, only concepts - saving me hundreds of hours having to study a single syntax (slow to type and troubleshoot and limited to that one language too!) - freeing just be an artist more and yet still do programming - idealogically bridging the gap between programmers and artists, the logic and emotion... converging an industry to be more human. I wanted to use it, specially if they spliced it into software like Blender, also opensource - potentially making it easier to get people to push and pull code to make the integration more perfect. I didin't voice that opinion... but I like the idea of better viewport performance, data management, quick task specific dumbproof workflow development for quick production scalability (like a custom image compositor for one specific type of workflow with enough variables that an untrained low wage student could pick it up and work and process the art in record time), unification of software with a central data hub, a central data hub.... that was it. A central data hub and backend code access for theoretical artists. Still daunting, but Kraken was attractive, the frog and the house in the viewport was attractive, the waving water and hairy characters and the man running at 90fps with millions of polygons.. all of that was attractive. And more, the custom widgets and tools I could potentially use in their latest release to BUILD MY OWN FRICKEN 3D software without needing to code! That was attractive.. give it enough time and education......
And.. I'm kicking myself, I should have been more active in their forums and actually used the software regardless of my fear of programming and visual architecture design. I should have supported them more.
I wonder what Eric Mootz is going to do now!