Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bellsey » 10 Feb 2017, 13:43

Bullit wrote: Maybe you should read this about 3Ds Max state in 2013: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1118357

The problem isn't Eddie he at least tried to right the boat and stopped it from sinking that fast. It was before him.
I don't have to read it, I was there. :)

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by xsi_fanatic » 10 Feb 2017, 13:47

Good riddance. Maybe someone might clean up his mess after him and consider reviving Softimage. It's a long shot but hoping never killed anyone.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by luceric » 10 Feb 2017, 17:16

owei wrote:Wow, that´s so funny. AD is great, yes, we got that, luceric. The problem is though, stock market´s and bankster´s crap does not make software any better. As we are a bunch of ignorant, truth denying idiots, I wonder why you don´t lean back with a smile and just let us starve in our dumb stupidity. Thanks ;)
I see your point, but I thought all this info from the wall street side was interesting on a news of the CEO stepping down. Also, I was really amused by the CNBC video, like anytime you hear a non technical person talk about 3D.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bullit » 10 Feb 2017, 17:49

Bellsey wrote:
Bullit wrote: Maybe you should read this about 3Ds Max state in 2013: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1118357

The problem isn't Eddie he at least tried to right the boat and stopped it from sinking that fast. It was before him.
I don't have to read it, I was there. :)
Touche. But do you think a bunch of old Max veterans having to pen declaration about Max status is indicative Max doing well?

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by luceric » 10 Feb 2017, 20:21

Mathaeus wrote:
wesserbro wrote:
luceric wrote: Brad Peebler also left Luxology with other people. Didn't hear anything about that here.
Wow... He seamed so passionate about the product///
People on Modo forum know, there are posts about. Here... yeah I think nobody mentioned, while there is no that much of words about Modo at all. Personally never ever been a fan of those 'presenters' or whatever they are, including 'ours' in past.
he's wasn't a "presenter", he's the co-founder of Luxology and there would probably be no Modo without him. It's the CG word's equivalent of having Steve Jobs leaving Apple.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Feb 2017, 21:04

luceric wrote: he's wasn't a "presenter", he's the co-founder of Luxology and there would probably be no Modo without him. It's the CG word's equivalent of having Steve Jobs leaving Apple.
Yeah I know that, but, as everyone probably know, Modo is still coming with real permanent licence. Exactly, once I got Modo 801 few years ago, I was able to install it on new machine, without any assistance of Foundry, and I'll be able to do that as long as there is appropriate OS.

In case of AD, story is a bit different, *and* they have a practice called EOL, so it's perfectly normal for people to be interested more. Who really knows what will happen with Maya and let's say qt 6, when qt 5 already brings the actual 'experience' (better for me to stop there :D ) . In other word, just allow *real* permanent license again, and people will not even know for that Bass guy, just as many cellphone owners don't know who is founder of Apple, and what is Apple.

wesserbro
Posts: 177
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 16:05

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by wesserbro » 10 Feb 2017, 21:49

Mathaeus wrote: In other word, just allow *real* permanent license again, and people will not even know for that Bass guy, just as many cellphone owners don't know who is founder of Apple, and what is Apple.
and i want per-second license

User avatar
mc_axe
Posts: 420
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by mc_axe » 11 Feb 2017, 00:57

So the future is bright?

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Feb 2017, 01:06

mc_axe wrote:So the future is bright?
'now' of Maya is probably best described here, around seven months after initial release. From one post: "Sorry for being direct here but the fact that you ask for specifics is an indication that you don't have people doing any actual day to day production testing at Autodesk".

Boiler
Posts: 29
Joined: 17 Feb 2015, 12:15

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Boiler » 11 Feb 2017, 07:13

Code: Select all

So the future is bright?
Bright for what ? :)
I don`t think so... Maya getting worse from year to year. So, leave Xsi alone, my dear autodesk :)

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bellsey » 11 Feb 2017, 14:30

xsi_fanatic wrote:Good riddance. Maybe someone might clean up his mess after him and consider reviving Softimage. It's a long shot but hoping never killed anyone.
Bit harsh I thin considering that Carl very probably had little or nothing to do with the retirement of Softimage.
I met Carl on several occasions and personally I found him ok and very clued up on many things.

Reviving Softimage will not happen, it's gone and too much time has now passed to now go back and kickstart things again. Let it go and move on.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bellsey » 11 Feb 2017, 14:34

Mathaeus wrote:
mc_axe wrote:So the future is bright?
'now' of Maya is probably best described here, around seven months after initial release. From one post: "Sorry for being direct here but the fact that you ask for specifics is an indication that you don't have people doing any actual day to day production testing at Autodesk".
Perhaps some vaild points and bugs there, but there's always two sides. Giving some benefit of doubt as I don't know the situation, did the studio do enough internal testing before deploying Maya 2017 into production? If they didn't then they've made an error. It's easy to wave the finger, but if you jump in with both feet without proper testing then to some extent, you have yourself to blame.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bullit » 11 Feb 2017, 15:13

So you are saying that Autodesk products should not be trusted? The guy in that link is not talking about some specific problem of a specific situation.

More of the same:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=8288002

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Feb 2017, 15:40

Bellsey wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:
mc_axe wrote:So the future is bright?
'now' of Maya is probably best described here, around seven months after initial release. From one post: "Sorry for being direct here but the fact that you ask for specifics is an indication that you don't have people doing any actual day to day production testing at Autodesk".
Perhaps some vaild points and bugs there, but there's always two sides. Giving some benefit of doubt as I don't know the situation, did the studio do enough internal testing before deploying Maya 2017 into production? If they didn't then they've made an error. It's easy to wave the finger, but if you jump in with both feet without proper testing then to some extent, you have yourself to blame.
come on Bellsey, what you're doing is counterproductive for your stance (unless you're secret agent, working for AD competition :) ). No need to try to defend everything. After all, why people do not complaining not even close to such extent, on other forums.
To be fair, Maya LT, here, seems to be less affected by 2017/QT 5 thing, while is still close to unbearable, compared to last 2016 ext.

Anyway I'll take your answer as confirmation of 'you don't have people doing any actual day to day production testing at Autodesk".

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by Bellsey » 11 Feb 2017, 16:11

Mathaeus wrote:
come on Bellsey, what you're doing is counterproductive for your stance (unless you're secret agent, working for AD competition :) ). No need to try to defend everything. After all, why people do not complaining not even close to such extent, on other forums.
To be fair, Maya LT, here, seems to be less affected by 2017/QT 5 thing, while is still close to unbearable, compared to last 2016 ext.

Anyway I'll take your answer as confirmation of 'you don't have people doing any actual day to day production testing at Autodesk".
I'm not defending anything just being more reasonable. Nor am I confirming anything, I don't know how Autodesk do their testing now. When I was there, myself and others would be doing production workflows on new builds etc. If I encountered issues, I would log bugs, However, it's hard (perhaps impossible) for any software vendor mirror the direct conditions of all of their customers and users.

The bottomline though is that when there's a update (of any kind) to your software, you always test before deploying. If you don't then you run the risk of things breaking and going wrong. I don't think its fair to blame a software vendor for not doing your own due diligence. If you did, and things are going wrong due to something the vendor has done, well that's different.

And no, I don't work for a AD competitor.

User avatar
mc_axe
Posts: 420
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44

Re: Autodesk CEO and President Carl Bass steps down

Post by mc_axe » 11 Feb 2017, 19:50

I hate bugs that might be caused by either driver or the software and i hate companies that can easily blame each other to avoid you. Well i dont see my self installing Maya soon but yea if a small death star hovers over my head ill go for 2016.

Bug managment and yearly upgrates is a weak point for AD, it is the completelly oposite than what others do for example redshift. One case seem completelly distant from the user base and the second case is like the software is developed by the user base. The one is terible and second is a good relationship between company and clients.

Anyways I dont understand how they plan to convert a 3rd of Maya pirates to subs, without even doing proper in house tests before a release. Well i dont understand many things about AD ..For example if they open sub for soft 2015 with the same price as maya, why is that bad for the company?Given that even a small amount of ppl "boycotting" AD righ now.