3DS Max 2017

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by Mathaeus » 01 May 2016, 20:03

MauricioPC wrote:Thanks for the list. Hopefully I can find some Modo in there as well.
Come on Mauricio, all you need is to follow a words of small devil sitting on your shoulder, which is max, max, max..... Everything will be fine, hehehe...

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by MauricioPC » 01 May 2016, 20:13

Hahahaha. You evil fellow! :ymdevil:

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by luceric » 02 May 2016, 00:44

What have you been learning and making the last three years?

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by MauricioPC » 02 May 2016, 02:11

I don't know if the question was for me, but if it was, almost nothing 3d. After Softimage eol I kind of stopped. I tried Max, Maya, C4D, Modo.

I went back to work in retail and now I decided to get back into 3D. Basically wasted 3 years of time I could study. :/

nodeway

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by nodeway » 02 May 2016, 09:56

MauricioPC wrote:I don't know if the question was for me, but if it was, almost nothing 3d. After Softimage eol I kind of stopped. I tried Max, Maya, C4D, Modo.

I went back to work in retail and now I decided to get back into 3D. Basically wasted 3 years of time I could study. :/
For Modo look at Ubisoft. And Netherland game companies.

After my 3 years long brake from 3D I never gone back to the same stuff I have been doing. In fact, it opened my eyes and I decided to move away from any commercial stuff (movies, games) as far as I can. There is a lot of very cool things going on with AR/VR (Meta, Hololens, Daqri, Oculus, Vive) and Wearable (Nod, Myo) going on. It helps to know programming and at least one game engine. It's better for you too, because if something happens, you will not end up with only one limited skill and knowledge of 4 graphic programs from which the last one is doing exactly the same what 3 previous ones did and doesn't bring and additional skill that would expand your skillset in any way.

BTW. Have you tried music? If you can't motivate yourself to learn another 3D program right now, pickup some DAW (Studio One, Ableton Live or similar) and get some new perspective on your life.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by luceric » 02 May 2016, 12:30

try cubase, pro tools or Logic. They're dated, quirky UIs with lots of plug-ins, owned by huge impenetrable corporate conglomerates.

sounds familiar.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by MauricioPC » 02 May 2016, 13:28

I guess I had a similar problem before with editing (I knew AVID) and most jobs were FCP. While it was possible to, most companies didn't want to hire a guy and train him, even though I could edit fine. I wasn't going to buy a Mac, which up to this day, is expensive as hell here. So I just went to work in retail. It paid better, longer hours but more manageable.

So I think now I want to make the "right" choice, but that doesn't even exist. At least I'm learning Houdini without complaining. The only problem here is that it takes a LOT of time before you actually starting creating something usable or that you can get clients for.


I have NO talent for music, even though I love it. :)

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by NNois » 02 May 2016, 13:41

luceric wrote:...owned by huge impenetrable corporate conglomerates.
sounds familiar.
I continue the OT...

Your statement Luc Eric seems really to be my problem actually ;-) why not the outsider FL Studio !
Last version is entirely drawn with there new in-house custom vector UI framework. It's fantastic and animated everywhere, that's add a bit of "Futuristic software UI". This Software has that "Joy of use feeling"

Sounds familiar ;-)

nodeway

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by nodeway » 02 May 2016, 17:53

MauricioPC wrote:I have NO talent for music, even though I love it. :)
It doesn't matter. Sound knowledge will help you with CHOPS. Give it a shot.
Have you seen Ableton Live? Just look at those colors and UI. It almost looks like Softimage:
Image
Image

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by MauricioPC » 02 May 2016, 18:00

I might just install Softimage again. :P

I'll look further into it.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by luceric » 02 May 2016, 18:37

NNois wrote: Your statement Luc Eric seems really to be my problem actually ;-) why not the outsider FL Studio !
Last version is entirely drawn with there new in-house custom vector UI framework.
That's a development red flag to me, actually. one should not be writing their own vector UI framework. A modern team would be using something that exists already, qt or web ui.
NNois wrote:it's fantastic and animated everywhere, that's add a bit of "Futuristic software UI". This Software has that "Joy of use feeling"

Sounds familiar ;-)
Ho yeah, it's pretty similar, not in a good way. It looks like the best way to run on the Mac right now is to use WINE. The web page for FL Studio says "For years it was nearly impossible to port FL Studio over to Mac because the software is written in Delphi (which was Windows/PC only until recently) and it also makes heavy use of the Windows AP"

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by Mathaeus » 02 May 2016, 19:41

nodeway wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:I have NO talent for music, even though I love it. :)
It doesn't matter. Sound knowledge will help you with CHOPS. Give it a shot.
Have you seen Ableton Live? Just look at those colors and UI. It almost looks like Softimage:
This seems to be common color scheme, for example this one is console of Soviet surface to air misille :) from 80s, probably

Avid Products are in dark style today, while they are still keeping the circular screens for radars :), or what else are these circles...

Slightly back to topic. These days, being sold to AD, it seems to be a dream for all 3d developers around. Never ever noticed some of them complaining, so, really don't see a reason to 'support' a non existent intentions, to be alternative to AD, or like.
On other side, we all are so happy by free or cheap offer of Unreal Cry Engine or Unity, while is obvious that hundreds of smaller developers won't be able to follow, and they will disappear, one day, if they didn't already.
Interests are different, that's it.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by Bellsey » 02 May 2016, 20:50

Mathaeus wrote:
MauricioPC wrote: It's no Maya, but on the other side, it's used in a lot more places/industries than Maya.
As matter of fact, at least by looking at job offers by game companies like this list, it seems there's around 3 : 1 in favor of Max against Maya, even when it comes to rigging or some form of animation. Almost the same as it was 15 years ago. Only new thing is, that they asking for knowledge of game engines - long time ago, big players weren't profiled in game engine field.
Geography tends to skew things though, as come countries tend to lean towards one over the other. Personally I've never subscribed to the idea of Max being 'the' tool for games. Max more than holds it own though, but overall I'd say Maya has always had the edge in the entertainment field. Outside of that though, Max carries alot of weight. There's a reason why its in all of Autodesks suites.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by Bullit » 03 May 2016, 00:47

3DsMax is everywhere and survived because they were not elitist - including cost- and because of that openness had always the best render engine for the market. They were on top of GI revolution.

It is that simple.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by NNois » 03 May 2016, 08:18

luceric wrote:
NNois wrote:it's fantastic and animated everywhere, that's add a bit of "Futuristic software UI". This Software has that "Joy of use feeling"
Sounds familiar ;-)
Ho yeah, it's pretty similar, not in a good way... because the software is written in Delphi (which was Windows/PC only until recently) and it also makes heavy use of the Windows AP"[/i]
Hahah that one is very good, bien vu !... (to be fair unlike XSI They now have a great Native mac app in open Alpha).

In my opinion this just shows the tendency to stagnation due to laziness.

At the time XSI has a unique and pleasant UI that was i'm sure part of his success.

This recall me too when first Modo was out, they where showing how their panes gracefully collapse and morph, a TRUE advance in UI (even if now it's a serious mess)

I'm sure QT saves you some devtime but where is the place to cool things and interraction, is there such things with QT ? (that's not sarcastic, just a question from an user POV)

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: 3DS Max 2017

Post by FXDude » 03 May 2016, 19:55

luceric wrote:try cubase, pro tools or Logic. They're dated, quirky UIs with lots of plug-ins, owned by huge impenetrable corporate conglomerates.

sounds familiar.
Lol! sounds familiar indeed!

Except say Yamaha for instance, other than it's own products, didn't incrementally absorb all of the (very few) main and long-time professional solutions within 3 years (and/or retire half of them), thereby essentially cornering the professional audio authoring market, to then do things like double their prices and make their software rental (or cloud) only, coming with all sorts of terms about what is actually "ownership".

Or other things otherwise difficult to implement without all users/studios saying "What?" before quickly pressing the "don't agree" button on the yes/no online negotiation page and getting something else, a button which could then be renamed to a not as easily pressable "Quit audio authoring field" button, once other options would simply be non-existant.

If that was the case, then despite Yamaha then already being the audio authoring software (tool) market, it would just never stop either absorbing things (for re-purposing, retiring, or just to make become Yamaha) and/or coming-up with new measures to "maximize" -- especially if everything would get moved the cloud (user assets out of user's control), or often at the expense of variety, innovation, ... and fairness.

Go Yamaha! 'the best' and -the one and only- (cookie-monster)
Fortunately though for the audio authoring community, Yamaha isn't like that.