AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

News concerning 3D DCC business
pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 10:38

FXDude wrote:
luceric wrote: That comment was not at all about suggesting forced upgrade, it was about not focusing so much about making big extension releases.
Sure, none of this (among other things) is about forcing anything upon anyone. 8-|

I guess it can be difficult to consider or accept certain realities,
-and- be able to have a clear conscience at the same time if your one of the main public figures/supporters/spokes people.

So any willful ignorance, selective abstraction, or scarce objectivity comes to no surprise.
That comment did seem a bit suspicious. So this fellow is a rep then lol

A bit unscrupulous if you ask me.. If I were a moderator I would ask all reps to define their affiliations in the signature area in order to maintain a level of honesty and security/peacefulness.

Little by little inch by inch stealing your soul is a cinch. Or in this case stealing your perpetual license is a cinch.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Apr 2015, 12:04

pluMmet wrote:If I were a moderator I would ask all reps to define their affiliations in the signature area in order to maintain a level of honesty and security/peacefulness.
This could only really work if every member were to disclose all of his/her affiliations. And in our case luceric is basically our only regular contributor from the Autodesk side of things and, love him or hate him, he’s never made a secret of his affiliations…
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by luceric » 01 Apr 2015, 12:11

I'm only one of the lead developers behind Softimage, and was the Softimage development manager at Autodesk. I've been around for 17 years, and not posting behind an alias to obscure that connection.

Under rental you can run 3 major versions back. It works just like subscription.

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 12:30

luceric wrote:I'm only one of the lead developers behind Softimage, and was the Softimage development manager at Autodesk. I've been around for 17 years, and not posting behind an alias to obscure that connection.

Under rental you can run 3 major versions back. It works just like subscription.
Well what do you do for AD now?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Apr 2015, 12:40

And how long have you been working for the Spanish Inquisition now? :D

In such cases Linkedin can help satisfy some of the curiosity: Luc-Eric Rousseau
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 12:55

Hirazi Blue wrote:And how long have you been working for the Spanish Inquisition now? :D

In such cases Linkedin can help satisfy some of the curiosity: Luc-Eric Rousseau
Well if there were a Monopoly Inquisition I would have no trouble being part of that... AD would be at the top of my personal list :-B

Just because they have gotten away with destroying competition and innovation does not mean they will for ever.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/ec ... itrust.asp
"a monopoly in the steel (CG) industry when J.P. Morgan (AutoDesk) bought his steel (their CG) company and melded (3 animation packages along with other DCC programs) it into U.S. Steel (The AD "family".) A monstrous corporation (That...) approaching the size of Standard Oil, U.S. Steel actually did very little with the resources in its grasp - which can point to the limitations to having only one owner with a single vision. The corporation survived its court battle with the Sherman Act and went on to lobby the government for protective tariffs to help it compete internationally, but it grew very little."

"U.S. Steel (AutoDesk) controlled about 70% of steel (DCC) production, but competing firms were hungrier, more innovative and more efficient with their 30% of the market. U.S. Steel stagnated in innovation (with the break-up) as smaller companies ate more and more of its market share"

Sounds about like AD to me..
Last edited by pluMmet on 01 Apr 2015, 13:35, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Apr 2015, 13:04

Still there always is the issue if and to what extent "mere" employees of such a company are to blame for actions of the company as a whole... Plenty to disagree about with Autodesk employees on their respective job level as it were, I would say.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 13:07

Hirazi Blue wrote:Still there always is the issue if and to what extent "mere" employees of such a company are to blame for actions of the company as a whole... Plenty to disagree about with Autodesk employees on their respective job level as it were, I would say.
I can't honestly say that I hold a soldier responsible for killing obvious innocents so no argument there... I'm more about stopping the horror than blaming.

Identifying a problem is not blame in my book. So if he needs to speak well of his employer fine but we need that in context..no?

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by luceric » 01 Apr 2015, 14:47

pluMmet wrote:Identifying a problem is not blame in my book. So if he needs to speak well of his employer fine but we need that in context..no?
I don't think my comment you pointed out was "speaking well" or not well. It was just.. sort of cold and factual. As engineers often are. ;)

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 15:42

luceric wrote:
pluMmet wrote:Identifying a problem is not blame in my book. So if he needs to speak well of his employer fine but we need that in context..no?
I don't think my comment you pointed out was "speaking well" or not well. It was just.. sort of cold and factual. As engineers often are. ;)
Factual is useless in many ways.. ie. you can pretend that AD does not crush innovation with a simple decision to believe that...
pluMmet wrote:Little by little inch by inch stealing your soul is a cinch. Or in this case stealing your perpetual license is a cinch.
This is outside the scope of "Factual" if you choose not to see it, understand it or speak it.

Image

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by luceric » 01 Apr 2015, 17:35

Flaming is easy from the cover of anonymity.
Many people actually do want to know the details of how this rental thing is going to work and not just simply read more rants on the subject

FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by FabricPaul » 01 Apr 2015, 18:18

Luc-Eric once stole candy from a baby.






That may not be true.

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 01 Apr 2015, 19:48

luceric wrote:Flaming is easy from the cover of anonymity.
Many people actually do want to know the details of how this rental thing is going to work and not just simply read more rants on the subject
Well I'm pluMmet on every site I go to (12+ years now) so I'm not sure how well I'm hiding...

AFA Many people.. well many people don't appreciate what AD has done to the DCC community.

This web site is the very postulate of AD's "crushing of innovation." Softiamge is no more... I'm not sure how it could be seen any other way?

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by luceric » 02 Apr 2015, 14:28

pluMmet wrote:
luceric wrote:Flaming is easy from the cover of anonymity.
Many people actually do want to know the details of how this rental thing is going to work and not just simply read more rants on the subject
Well I'm pluMmet on every site I go to (12+ years now) so I'm not sure how well I'm hiding...
so you're saying, what, you actual name is pluMmet? that's an odd name.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Apr 2015, 15:28

Let us end this rather silly "actual name" discussion now...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pluMmet » 02 Apr 2015, 15:57

Hirazi Blue wrote:Let us end this rather silly "actual name" discussion now...
;)
I agree... besides how simple it is to find my name...

But this fellow seems to have some sort of burning desire so as an AD employee you should have no problem asking the right person to type this in and find the mysterious me (Max R4 339-30809052 ) I began with Max @ 3.1 but they were using dongles at the time so that is my first serial number.

After you receive my info feel free to email or snail mail me... I'll be happy to carry on any discussion you feel the need for :)