luceric wrote:someone may be missing the irony of cheering Houdini while at the same time jeering Renderman for having the same market position, and the same users, after just as many years. And now they both have very similar low-price strategies to try to expand into small shops and to individuals. It's all the same, both are heavy iron technical tools from the 1990s that are now trying have more one-click results, lower price, to move into markets with heavy competitions.
Agree, hundred percent. Anyway, I'm always considering the size of company as a first factor, where smaller = better, smaller owner is more motivated to keep the product alive. Simply because it is all what they have, usually. For example, in case of 3delight, my experience took much longer and better than I ever expected.
For big players, like Pixar, AD or NVidia, unfortunately, it seems to be too much easy to cancel the product, simply because they can afford this. More exactly, only small concern I have about Maya LT, it is owner, who is able to cancel it tomorrow, just if some influential person or group, wants.