Anyway - I'm off to tend the chickens
Cheers,
Paul
yep general purpose thnx FXFabricPaul wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question - what would be the goal of doing this? Output for a game runtime?
Gr8 thnx !FabricPaul wrote:Ok, I understand. Fabric can be used for general computation tasks (the core of Fabric is a general computation engine, there is nothing 3D or even graphics specific about it), and can be extended to support different data types. We'll have some samples soon showing some non-3D use cases. The DFG (and in fact the visual programming front-end) are completely modular and independent of the rest of Fabric.
Because Fabric uses LLVM (a JIT compiler) we can work with other LLVM-based languages. All LLVM-based languages are compiling down to the same thing, and that's how we do the clever stuff with CUDA and HSA for GPU compute. So... you can extrapolate from there on some of the things that might be possible within our graph. We are working on some cool things there with one of our accounts, if it works it will be awesome/terrifying in equal measureLLVM is really something.
We have considered outputting another language (C/C# for instance) for runtime cases. It's interesting but not something we're pushing on right now - we'd rather work with a game company directly than do anything speculative. Whenever we talk to game companies, they're more interested in using Fabric in the usual DCC and taking care of run-time themselves. So nothing right now on that.
I hope that helps.