Houdini14 Sneak Peek

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2014, 13:11

pluMmet wrote:it's just about the lowest possible thing on my list.
Understandably so, but it wouldn't harm Houdini if Side Effects were to take some time
to improve upon the old-fashioned "generalist" feel of the software and thus address some of its weaker elements.
If they did I'd say they'd be one step closer to world-domination...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by McNistor » 06 Dec 2014, 16:36

Have faith in Houdinity. :ympray:
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by pluMmet » 08 Dec 2014, 12:36

I watched the video a little closer.. it says "Animation Layers" but what is shown is not a Graphic Clip type thing that an actual artist would use...

Same Old TD heartless nonsense as far as I can see.


SAD!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by McNistor » 08 Dec 2014, 13:13

The assumption (if I read you correctly) that only TDs and not artists are able to work in a fully procedural env. holds as much water as gerbil's bladder.
I saw people on CGtalk cheering about new workflow changes/improvements in Houdini. I can't know what exactly are they referring to when saying "workflow" but proceduralism in Houdini is its core philosophy and if that's a problem you need to look elsewhere: I could see Houdini dead before going the non-procedural route.

You need to understand that proceduralism in Houdini is not really ICE unless you're going into VOPs. If you can work with the rendertree as an artist without having your brain turning into a raisin, I'm pretty sure you can learn to work in Houdini without going into VOPs given enough time and will.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by SamHowell » 08 Dec 2014, 14:58

Since when did artists and TD's become completely separate things? That really is sad.

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Helli » 08 Dec 2014, 15:41

procedural <> technical

Just a different way to display data.
But it's up to every User if that is okey for him.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Dec 2014, 16:44

McNistor wrote:The assumption (if I read you correctly) that only TDs and not artists are able to work in a fully procedural env. holds as much water as gerbil's bladder.
I saw people on CGtalk cheering about new workflow changes/improvements in Houdini. I can't know what exactly are they referring to when saying "workflow" but proceduralism in Houdini is its core philosophy and if that's a problem you need to look elsewhere: I could see Houdini dead before going the non-procedural route.
I think proceduralism isn't really at issue here. Not AFAIC at least. To me what's missing from Houdini are some basic workflow elements that could easily be improved upon (for instance modeling), which would make it more feasible for the artist to "stay" in Houdini for most of his/her tasks. People might believe "generalist" software is dead, but we all want it anyway...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by pluMmet » 08 Dec 2014, 18:03

SamHowell wrote:Since when did artists and TD's become completely separate things? That really is sad.
Since when did it become hard to understand that the more stuff there is between you and your vision the harder it is to get out.

How many "knobs" do I need to twist to move 1 thing.. group of things?

I should not have to use a Rube Goldberg device in order to animate!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Mathaeus » 08 Dec 2014, 19:04

pluMmet wrote:
How many "knobs" do I need to twist to move 1 thing.. group of things?

I should not have to use a Rube Goldberg device in order to animate!
Just to let you know (couldn't resist... :) ), in Houdini, if you want to have a plain cycle extrapolation on single animated parameter, once you activate it as 'motion effect', Houdini admirably creates, guess me what... NEW NODE, one node for each parameter (channel or what...). Imagine this on around 100-200 parameters for character. No comment....
With all love, honestly, I don't see the procedural madness. Much more, more than twenty years of trying to survive, without even trying to match the basic ergonomic standards of real 3d application. Now, it seems they want to be attractive for animators. If so, *if* they will get let's say more than 1k of new users on the board, I'm afraid the Pandora box will just open. Demands will go only further and further... We all know how this is going, remember all long discussions how ICE is not easy - despite the fact that ICE is wonderland compared to Houdini.
In other word, if they really want to keep their 'standards'. should be better to don't go into any UX and animation improvements work. Anyway, let's wait and see...

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by McNistor » 09 Dec 2014, 05:41

SamHowell wrote:Since when did artists and TD's become completely separate things?[...]
They're obviously not necessarily two separate things. There's a spectrum and one can reside at one extremity or another but there's a lot more in between therefore it is there most people are standing on.
Hirazi Blue wrote:[...]To me what's missing from Houdini are some basic workflow elements that could easily be improved upon (for instance modeling)[...]
It's true, Houdini lacks in certain areas that we refer to as "artistic" but one could use whatever they're currently using (XSI in our case) for a few more yrs (and not only) for modeling and whatnot and slowly adopt Houdini for anything else until it catches up in those weak areas. It will need at least a few full versions and while no promises have been made (I'm not talking for SideFX or anything) I can say that I trust Houdini devs. to continue to listen to, exchange info with their user-base and most of the time actually do something. Unlike you know who.
Mathaeus wrote:[...]
There are a few things that don't benefit from or are even downright impossible to do with nodes, it's true. If you think you know what those are, drop by and tell them and they'll listen. If your arguments are valid (deemed as so by the devs. and the established user-base) you'll see change
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by pluMmet » 09 Dec 2014, 10:01

McNistor wrote:
SamHowell wrote:Since when did artists and TD's become completely separate things?[...]
They're obviously not necessarily two separate things. There's a spectrum and one can reside at one extremity or another but there's a lot more in between therefore it is there most people are standing on.
Are you sure about that..

When has there ever been a great Organologist that was also a great virtuosi?

Antonio Stradivari could play the violin for sure but just enough to know what the was making.

A TD is a tool maker and god love them for that but lets not give them a blue ribbon for first place in artistry because we feel that everyone deserves a ribbon /:)

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Pooby » 09 Dec 2014, 11:07

TD's have no artistic talent whatsoever. They can't even draw (except the ones that do have artistic talent) and artists do not think technically at all, They can't even do basic arithmetic (I'm not including the ones that can think technically)

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by pluMmet » 09 Dec 2014, 11:23

Pooby wrote:TD's have no artistic talent whatsoever. They can't even draw (except the ones that do have artistic talent) and artists do not think technically at all, They can't even do basic arithmetic (I'm not including the ones that can think technically)

Elvis never did die... he turned into a TD


User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Dec 2014, 13:56

The most fascinating to me is that Side Effects still sells "Houdini" (stripped of all the particle and dynamics stuff, which you get when you buy "Houdini FX"), while most of the "shortcomings" of the product would be most evident in this simplified package and one would think that people who are not looking for particles and dynamics would look elsewhere. After some experience with the Apprentice edition, I'd for instance take my modeling to some other product.
So does anyone know if Houdini sans FX sells well?
:-??
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by Mathaeus » 09 Dec 2014, 14:56

Hirazi Blue wrote:The most fascinating to me is that Side Effects still sells "Houdini" (stripped of all the particle and dynamics stuff, which you get when you buy "Houdini FX"), while most of the "shortcomings" of the product would be most evident in this simplified package and one would think that people who are not looking for particles and dynamics would look elsewhere. After some experience with the Apprentice edition, I'd for instance take my modeling to some other product.
So does anyone know if Houdini sans FX sells well?
:-??
Don't know how it sells, but just this one is what I personally looking for - for things like, let's call it 'advanced motion graphic' - self building houses and such, procedurally animated crap. Exactly in this animated 'surface operator' level, Houdini seems to be, how to say, not that much 'houdinized', also still stronger than anything else. While just simulation networks, well they are 'houdinized' far out of my personal level of good taste. There's free implementation of Bullet engine, as set of Houdini SOP nodes, I've heard fairly easier to use than built in thing. I think H sans has some sort of 'static' particles, for instancing and similar tasks. At the end, I can live with Mantra nodes, as already I have a bit of Renderman hacking skills, earned through 3delight times. But, don't know how many freelancers will enjoy in having to put the 'transform space' node, every time they want to remap point position to texture, and so on and so on in Mantra shader network.
Didn't even try to model 'by hand' anything more than drawing the curve in H, don't know why...
Anyway final decision is expected :) sometime around Houdini 15, not before.

User avatar
nDman
Posts: 55
Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 09:48

Re: Houdini14 Sneak Peek

Post by nDman » 09 Dec 2014, 15:46

I think Houdini + Blender + Zbrush can be ultimate power and flexibility in 3D and VFX.
No need waiting for future.