Used Softimage License
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Used Softimage License
I only have a version 7 License. But that you can pry out of my cold dead fingers ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Used Softimage License
I checked with our legal dept, and in short Autodesk believe that their current Transfer of License Policy is compatible with the UsedSoft case. Therefore it was suggested that customers follow that Transfer of License policy.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Used Softimage License
So, it seems, there's a way for the transfer of license. Given that Softimage will no longer be available, I don't see why Autodesk would deny this move as it would help students soon to become freelancer professionals.Bellsey wrote:I checked with our legal dept, and in short Autodesk believe that their current Transfer of License Policy is compatible with the UsedSoft case. Therefore it was suggested that customers follow that Transfer of License policy.
Now ... as for the current Softimage users with more than one license, keep one store for us in the near future!
-
Lutze
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 07:22
- Location: Germany
Re: Used Softimage License
Thanks Bellsey for looking into it. Very much appreciate it.
So I hope that I read your post right, and that a license transfer should be possible if all requirements are met. These are indeed good news and I think that there will be a lot of licenses availabe over the next 24 months.
So I hope that I read your post right, and that a license transfer should be possible if all requirements are met. These are indeed good news and I think that there will be a lot of licenses availabe over the next 24 months.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Used Softimage License
Time to start the Softimage fund jar to be able to buy it when these licenses are available.Lutze wrote:Thanks Bellsey for looking into it. Very much appreciate it.
So I hope that I read your post right, and that a license transfer should be possible if all requirements are met. These are indeed good news and I think that there will be a lot of licenses availabe over the next 24 months.
-
Manticor
- Posts: 160
- Joined: 09 Jun 2011, 20:41
Re: Used Softimage License
Just to be certain but is Bellsey saying that autodesk software CAN be sold on to other people .As his reply ( to me ) seems a little vague.
@Bellsey - can you confirm that we ARE able to buy Softimage second hand and can you give an outline of the procedure for doing so.
@Bellsey - can you confirm that we ARE able to buy Softimage second hand and can you give an outline of the procedure for doing so.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Used Softimage License
Sorry I can't make any confirmation and official statement to that fact. I literally passed on the information I was given.
Edit - Personall,y I don't believe it's quite as simple as going to ebay and buying something. For example, even if there were valid license details, Autodesk would need to be informed, because they would be probably unaware of the transaction and they would need to know who the license now applies too, otherwise it could become a compliance issue. Also there could be conditions of a transfer that might not be valid, so my advice would be what I said earlier - tread carefully and look at the policy. It's Autodesk's belief that their Transfer of License policy is compatible with the UsedSoft case.
Edit - Personall,y I don't believe it's quite as simple as going to ebay and buying something. For example, even if there were valid license details, Autodesk would need to be informed, because they would be probably unaware of the transaction and they would need to know who the license now applies too, otherwise it could become a compliance issue. Also there could be conditions of a transfer that might not be valid, so my advice would be what I said earlier - tread carefully and look at the policy. It's Autodesk's belief that their Transfer of License policy is compatible with the UsedSoft case.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Used Softimage License
Well, the fact is ... If Autodesk in unwilling to provide some easiness to us Softimage users, than the only valid option is to change.
I'll still use my Softimage student license until it runs because it's so easy to work on Softimage and learn the fundamentals. I'm confident it'll be easy to translate the knowledge after.
Houdini Indie is here and I have a feeling v14 it might be special.
I would just miss a lot of ICE, the possibility of using Mootz tools, that kind of cool stuff. Damn, how I hate a company.
I'll still use my Softimage student license until it runs because it's so easy to work on Softimage and learn the fundamentals. I'm confident it'll be easy to translate the knowledge after.
Houdini Indie is here and I have a feeling v14 it might be special.
I would just miss a lot of ICE, the possibility of using Mootz tools, that kind of cool stuff. Damn, how I hate a company.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Used Softimage License
Softimage isn't being singled out here, the policy applies across the Autodesk business.
You are no longer able to purchase Softimage as a stand alone product. Anyone requiring new or additional seats of Softimage must purchase either the Maya or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These 'bundles' are only available to current Softimage customers.
After the two year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase new Softimage licenses from Autodesk
It is still possible for customers to purchase Softimage as part of the Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate. The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.
This information is all available in the Softimage transition FAQ.
Regarding this comment, this is the situation.MauricioPC wrote: Now, some people said that you can still buy Softimage bundled with 3ds Max, is it true? If that lasts, maybe until the end of last year, I'll be able to purchase my version and keep using.
You are no longer able to purchase Softimage as a stand alone product. Anyone requiring new or additional seats of Softimage must purchase either the Maya or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These 'bundles' are only available to current Softimage customers.
After the two year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase new Softimage licenses from Autodesk
It is still possible for customers to purchase Softimage as part of the Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate. The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.
This information is all available in the Softimage transition FAQ.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Used Softimage License
Thanks for the extra info Bellsey. I'm so stupid I might just buy the whole ECU to use Softimage professionally, but that's being VERY stupid. Hope I unable to put that money together.Bellsey wrote:Softimage isn't being singled out here, the policy applies across the Autodesk business.
Regarding this comment, this is the situation.MauricioPC wrote: Now, some people said that you can still buy Softimage bundled with 3ds Max, is it true? If that lasts, maybe until the end of last year, I'll be able to purchase my version and keep using.
You are no longer able to purchase Softimage as a stand alone product. Anyone requiring new or additional seats of Softimage must purchase either the Maya or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These 'bundles' are only available to current Softimage customers.
After the two year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase new Softimage licenses from Autodesk
It is still possible for customers to purchase Softimage as part of the Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate. The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.
This information is all available in the Softimage transition FAQ.
My complain is towards the whole Autodesk policy, it's a shitty policy. But ... it should have room for exceptions, like the Softimage case. You (AD) already killed the software, you are preventing people of buying in the future, you are making students who were studying it and feel comfortable on it to HAVE to look for other options because, like a stubborn child, you don't people to play with your ball anymore. You've heard Angus saying here his students were developing the most on the animation front with Softimage, not Maya, etc etc.
Now, that's bad customer relation in my view. Okay, it's policy, but given the repercussion, the complains, etc, wouldn't it be wise to AD to relax that policy a little? A happy Softimage user could potentially transition to other AD offering. A pissed off one won't. It's a matter of principles.
The first software I ever learned was 3ds Max. Contrary to some here, I like 3ds Max. It has problems, sure, but I like it. Would I be inclined to transition to it in the future when I realize that Softimage is missing some important features? Sure ... because I was able to use it until I felt it was productive.
Now ... forcing the hand of users/customers will prevent this. If you go on the list, lots of people saying about going Modo (which I actually don't like), C4D, Houdini. Long-term wise, this could become a blow to AD. You have Fabric Engine with a very powerful commercial strategy ... that Kraken rigging solution is crazy good. If it's ported to Houdini, C4D or Modo, I'm sure other will leave. You have R&H Voodoo that's going to be available to studios. If you saw the videos, you know that Maya is like MS Paint besides Voodoo. There's the new Dreamworks software that may or may not be put on commercial availability. You get the point.
When the news of Softimage broke out, I thought "well, I'll just go back to 3ds Max", it's a very powerful software, capable of very fast turn around productivity. But after reading all the problems the customers are having, why would I tie myself to that kind of company? It's nonsense.
Anyway, I know it's not your fault, your decision and I really appreciate that you're always available to answer the questions of users and non-users. Thanks.
Regards,
Maurício
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Used Softimage License
Fraid I can't really comment on alot of that, other than we've offered the Maya and Max 'bundles' to help Softimage customers transition to another Autodesk offering, whilst still being able to use Softimage. Also their Softimage licenses will keep working, even after the final support date.
-
Lutze
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 07:22
- Location: Germany
Re: Used Softimage License
I switched to a new employer in June. They do not have a Softimage License because I am the first 3D-Artist they employ inhouse. So I can flush all my softimage knowledge down the toilet if I can not get hold of a legal copy of Softimage. In the meantime I use Blender, which is not bad but I would prefer to go the SI route.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Used Softimage License
Contact a local reseller. The reseller network might be able to answer questions Autodesk employees obviously cannot. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Lutze
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 07:22
- Location: Germany
Re: Used Softimage License
Best way to go.Hirazi Blue wrote:Contact a local reseller. The reseller network might be able to answer questions Autodesk employees obviously cannot. ;)
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Used Softimage License
I heard in more than one occasion of single licence sales, so perhaps contacting a number of resellers across a number of regions?
(combustion was made available for purchase for a full 3 years after it's own EOL)
So Pehaps is this the latest (4rth) (unnoficial) term relaxation?
Which is the least they could do, ceasing development is one thing, but super abruptly (& super needlessly) terminating availability (EDIT: EVEN BEFORE THE RELEASE OF THE LAST VERSION??) is just unwarranted (disregarding people people using such a unique product, EDIT:: concerning ICE in particular but also concerning the exceptional efficiency of the rest of the system, and it's also a something with such a long history and meaning to the industry, and not to mentuion it's users)
(combustion was made available for purchase for a full 3 years after it's own EOL)
So Pehaps is this the latest (4rth) (unnoficial) term relaxation?
Which is the least they could do, ceasing development is one thing, but super abruptly (& super needlessly) terminating availability (EDIT: EVEN BEFORE THE RELEASE OF THE LAST VERSION??) is just unwarranted (disregarding people people using such a unique product, EDIT:: concerning ICE in particular but also concerning the exceptional efficiency of the rest of the system, and it's also a something with such a long history and meaning to the industry, and not to mentuion it's users)
Last edited by FXDude on 14 Aug 2014, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Used Softimage License
I just needed a little more assurance that this is possible ... I could just change to C4D or Modo, but what I want to do is just keep studying and learning Softimage with hope that I could buy it at least until the end of the transition period. I don't understand why is so hard for AD to commit to something like this.FXDude wrote:I heard in more than one occasion of single licence sales, so perhaps contacting a number of resellers across a number of regions.
(combustion was made available for purchase for a full 3 years after it's own EOL)
So Pehaps is this the latest (4rth) (unnoficial) term relaxation?
Which is the least they could do, ceasing development is one thing, but super abruptly (& super needlessly) terminating availability is just mindless, showing that in no way are people being considered. (people relying on such a unique product in so many ways)
Well, maybe I just need to take a chance and if it doesn't work out, just implode AD HQ with a ICE destruction and ImplosiaFX.