Modo 801 Release

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by MauricioPC » 25 Apr 2014, 17:03

Mathaeus wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:He does make a point. I guess that's like C4D Physical render.
It's not, C4D Physical render is pure path tracer, more like Arnold. Modo renderer can mix the path tracing and interpolated methods, a sort of final gathering, in same scene. There are other differences, too. Anyway, mentioned guy seems to be focused on archiviz, which makes his personal taste even more irrelevant. At least for people like me, who never ever did any archiviz.
Perhaps some kind of naive believing, that only expensive renderer can output the good result. If so, he won't go so far with this approach.
I should have expressed myself better, I was saying in the sense that C4D renders have a more plastic feel to it. I've never seen truly believable renders, even from C4D V-Ray.

Something like this ...


User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Apr 2014, 17:24

MauricioPC wrote:

I should have expressed myself better, I was saying in the sense that C4D renders have a more plastic feel to it. I've never seen truly believable renders, even from C4D V-Ray.
well there's always a sort of 'preferred style', perhaps influenced by first available tools at hand, popular image in particular community, whatever. Let's say 'XSI style" before five or more years, it was to put the ambient occlusion everywhere. zBrush people seems to have tendency to create only dark pics, maybe because of dark zB interface.
When it comes to Modo, imho, renderer is quite fast and stable with interpolated GI, with motion blur, displacement. Of course, Red Shift would be nice addition to Modo...

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by angus_davidson » 25 Apr 2014, 17:37

Mathaeus wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:

I should have expressed myself better, I was saying in the sense that C4D renders have a more plastic feel to it. I've never seen truly believable renders, even from C4D V-Ray.
well there's always a sort of 'preferred style', perhaps influenced by first available tools at hand, popular image in particular community, whatever. Let's say 'XSI style" before five or more years, it was to put the ambient occlusion everywhere. zBrush people seems to have tendency to create only dark pics, maybe because of dark zB interface.
When it comes to Modo, imho, renderer is quite fast and stable with interpolated GI, with motion blur, displacement. Of course, Red Shift would be nice addition to Modo...
Modo with redshift would be a total win ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by MauricioPC » 25 Apr 2014, 18:34

angus_davidson wrote:Modo with redshift would be a total win ;)
Angus, let us know later what you find about those animation tools. They are looking very interesting.

El Burritoh
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 18:56
Location: Tennessee

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by El Burritoh » 26 Apr 2014, 03:32

julius wrote:Redshift for Modo seems to be on the way too.
I sure hope so, but there's no confirmation of that yet, to my knowledge. It's just under consideration.


@Nox... You have to remember that Ludvik made that post because he was unable to achieve the super realistic look he was after. I have two comments on this matter:

1) I have seen renders by some other Modo artists (Seth Richardson, Simon Lundberg...) which raise the bar there, and show a different side of what Modo is capable of. The catch here is that getting the renderer under control to actually produce those images takes a deep understand not of rendering alone, but of how Modo does it. Ludvik says he spent 6 months on it... that doesn't really mean anything. I just think there's a learning curve there that is steeper than with other renderers. I'm not convinced it's any real lack of capability.

2) But in any case, he's talking about one very specific use for rendering: photo-realism. And as we all know there are all kinds of looks used in daily 3D productions that are not even close to photo-realistic, but kick ass all the same (and I don't mean NPR stuff here).

So rather than throw a blanket over the concept and label it 'crappy', it may help to consider the broader context. It's not all some people need it to be, but it excels for others.

It definitely needs some streamlining though, and probably a little work on the shader side...
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Apr 2014, 03:42

MauricioPC wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:Modo with redshift would be a total win ;)
Angus, let us know later what you find about those animation tools. They are looking very interesting.
They are really great. I showed them to our students who just started their animation module and they got how it worked right away. The weighting to next or previous keys is so damn useful. The tools from 701 such as being able to work directly on the motion trail are also incredibly visual and responsive.

I am seriously upset we have to use Maya for the next two years and cant switch to modo right now ;(
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Apr 2014, 12:01

angus_davidson wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:Modo with redshift would be a total win ;)
Angus, let us know later what you find about those animation tools. They are looking very interesting.
They are really great. I showed them to our students who just started their animation module and they got how it worked right away. The weighting to next or previous keys is so damn useful. The tools from 701 such as being able to work directly on the motion trail are also incredibly visual and responsive.

I am seriously upset we have to use Maya for the next two years and cant switch to modo right now ;(
You guys already started a new module, that's why you can't change? Or you just renewed the subscription/contract for AD products?

The moment the trial for 801 is up, I'll download to give it a try. I remember in school when I had an animation class (traditional style) where I draw and animated a 10 second "film" and it was so cool. And this new 801 tool remembered me of that workflow.

And I thought the animation of the Cap America on Brad presentation to be really cool and easy to do.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by luceric » 26 Apr 2014, 12:35

El Burritoh wrote: Ludvik says he spent 6 months on it... that doesn't really mean anything. I just think there's a learning curve there that is steeper than with other renderers. I'm not convinced it's any real lack of capability.
ho gosh, it's mental ray debates all over again. ;)

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by Helli » 26 Apr 2014, 12:42

angus_davidson wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:Modo with redshift would be a total win ;)
Angus, let us know later what you find about those animation tools. They are looking very interesting.
They are really great. I showed them to our students who just started their animation module and they got how it worked right away. The weighting to next or previous keys is so damn useful. The tools from 701 such as being able to work directly on the motion trail are also incredibly visual and responsive.

I am seriously upset we have to use Maya for the next two years and cant switch to modo right now ;(

Actually there is a plugin for softimage to create keys weighted between the previous and the next key.
Just in case you still use Soft for animating ;)
Gonna post it here tomorrow and upload it to rray. Dunno anymore where I found it.

And about using Modo directly. It is not about the animation side in modo but more about the overall Rigging / Technical approach.
I actually can't say yet if it is capable of doing all you can do in Soft or Maya but just 1 example:
How can you create something like the dorito approach in Softimage ?
For that you would need a copy op or some sort of clone which got a live connection to your source geometrie which isnt avaible in Modo.
But there is maybe some other way to do that.

But the animation tools are quite polished I think.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Apr 2014, 12:49

Hey Mario, just saw this ... but yeah, it needs a clone.


El Burritoh
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 18:56
Location: Tennessee

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by El Burritoh » 26 Apr 2014, 12:58

luceric wrote:
El Burritoh wrote: Ludvik says he spent 6 months on it... that doesn't really mean anything. I just think there's a learning curve there that is steeper than with other renderers. I'm not convinced it's any real lack of capability.
ho gosh, it's mental ray debates all over again. ;)
Haha...point taken! :-)

Although with MR there was a real speed issue. Lookdev was a slow process.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Apr 2014, 13:07

The rigging is something I am still getting into So I am by no means an expert on it.

Some observations

1) Until you figure out how order of operation really works you will always dismiss just how powerful the modo rigging system is
2) Takes a while for you to figure out point 1 ;)
3) Its really robust. I havent had any rigs break on me as yet
4) Morph Targets and how you can create UI's in Modo is really easy to understand and use. So much better then blend shapes in Maya.
5) I cant wait until Richard Hurreys 801 rigging Master Class ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Apr 2014, 13:11

luceric wrote:
El Burritoh wrote: Ludvik says he spent 6 months on it... that doesn't really mean anything. I just think there's a learning curve there that is steeper than with other renderers. I'm not convinced it's any real lack of capability.
ho gosh, it's mental ray debates all over again. ;)
Lol the MR debates will never die ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by Helli » 26 Apr 2014, 15:02

MauricioPC wrote:Hey Mario, just saw this ... but yeah, it needs a clone.
Ty for the link.
Yea thats a first step to what I was asking for.
It works with a cage deform and isn't 100% accurate and probably quite slow cause of what modifier is used here.
But maybe they will add some sort of "fit vertex position" modifier which should be super easy to write and way faster cause it doesnt need to calculate any sort of interpolation.

Without that method I wouldn't want to do any facial rigging anymore ;)

What he explained to use it on top of shapes is 1 way, I am using it on top of other envelopes (imagine jaw movement and then you got controllers for mouth corners and stuff).

t4d
Posts: 51
Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by t4d » 26 Apr 2014, 15:17

fairly good release Nodes YEAH major but not fully installed ( only an attachment to the shader tree )

I gave modo so much hope and so much promise but after 8 releases ( got in at 101) for me the glue, the logic and system, the over all architecture is completely empty. blender has more of a plan for over all logic,.


case in point the animation keyframe system,. nice idea I like it,. but you swipe the panel to add a key or to extend the animation ?

"swipe" where is that in modo previous workflow ?
where is the way to do it without "swiping"

where is the newbie or anyone going to find this swipe logic in the modo logic of the whole package ?

if you adding a "swipe" interaction should the whole package take it up and use it ?
maybe Swipe an edge in modeling ?
swipe an node to duplicate it ?

I have no idea where you could use it ? but to add that UI logic to a single command ? shows modo has no plan it's just improvisation in 3D software and that just bad for the users who need conformity in the UI

julius
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by julius » 26 Apr 2014, 15:17

here are some archiviz stuff rendered with Modo.

For me, some of them are top quality renders : you won't have better with Vray.

http://www.openconcept3d.com/home/scriptsplugins/