and said "Time to rebuild my 3d Nickelodeon map..."A little back story.. When I first learned Lightwave, I started building a 3d model of our studio. Then, when I upgraded to XSI v4 (ESS), I decided to rebuild the model. It was very handy being able to look at physical objects, measure them, etc. It was a fun little project, and I was able to repurpose it a couple years to follow. Each Halloween, we decorate our studio, with each production doing different stuff. Ever since getting into Softimage, I've made neat little interactive pieces for our area. One of my first things was creating an animated walkthru of the studio. This contained my first ever rigged character, and it was before Avatar and all the 3d hooplah (no stereo cameras, etc). I tried rendering a toonshade on boots, and for some weird reason and tooned everything in the background (even though it was hidden from render). Turned out to be a sort of happy accident and I kept it (even though it layed ontop of geometry and was kinda messed up in areas). Here's a couple of stills (sorry for compression). Remember, this was one of my first hobby projects with XSI from around 2004.




And some pics on stuff that I think Houdini will do a nice job and bring it up to next level:





Some areas have wavy/round themes, other areas are triangle/pointy, and other areas are blocky/square.
Another Halloween project I did was to rebuild the model and import props (from Softimage) in Valve Source engine. Made a fun little mod that kids could play running around the outside of Nick. I wanted to use the Gravity Gun and throw chairs around, etc, but my boss wouldn't allow it in our Dora area (though it was too violent, even though there was no shooting). So I made it lame and changed the purpose to finding bananas hidden around (for Boots). Unfortunately, I think I may have failed to backup the Source SDk folder from years gone..
I wish I had a video of this past year's project. I thought it was pretty darn amazing.. Found a 3d model of Dora that overseas did as test. Cleaned up model and rigged it with Softimage. Imported into Motionbuilder and rear projected onto a screen. Behind the screen, I could mocap animate Dora in realtime via MS Kinect (with Brekel MB plugin). So unfortunately I couldn't see kids, but I could hear them.. And then Dora wave and dance back to them. After 3 hours of that, I was exhausted..