Hirazi Blue wrote:As long as we're speaking hypothetically, which we are, as Autodesk is not selling, the main question seems to be: who in their right mind would be interested in buying Softimage from Autodesk?
Well, Foundry seems to be a master in recycling. Don't believe that Modo or even Nuke had sooo much better structure. However Softimage seems to be much bigger challenge. After all, they don't need to do anything significant in first few years.
I think we are too much influenced by opinion of programmers (actually by
one 
of them), as well as our, mainly 'artistic' opinion. In real world, both programmers and artists are, just, employers, they have to do what boss wants. Imho, SI brand is still strong, and brand istelf seems to be more important than any fancy technology.
But... just personally, nine years ago, I was ready to go in voluntary overtime, to fight against Mental Ray, I was ready to forget the vacation because I was only one, running this XSI thing. Today, I just don't want to be only one fanatic in entire team. At least two or three of us

. Well, that "two or three" SI users, it was constantly impossible mission, for everyone who wants to work and live out of few big places.