The more you open it up, the more costs reduce, the more development gets done, the more profit Autodesk makes. Versus centralized and co-ordinated planned but expensive development.luceric wrote: ho you're saying that you would crowd fund individual features rather than a create one big genera pool of money to keep the development going. OK, I had not understood it that way.
My question though is why the take up of apps like Cinema4D and Modo. If you can resolve that issue you have a larger user base. I believe its because people left Softimage 3D for Maya and just like people who left some prior platform for Windows they are not going to easily take another risk. Unless there is no risk.luceric wrote: I guess what I'm saying is that I think the user ends up paying a lot with this model and I think you should try to see how many users and how much money they'd be willing to pay. My theory is that the user base is small and it's a small subset of those who want to pay even more money on Softimage. And the smaller the number of people, the more each of them need to pay. But this is just my personal opinion, I can be proven wrong, of course.
You could pay a lesser amount for later delivery in the crowd funding process. It would not be possible for some features and no doubt complicate others.luceric wrote: If everyone would get the funded features in the general advantage pack later, IMHO that could worsens the "game theory" dynamics since most people can just wait for other people to pay.
A balancing act for sure.luceric wrote:
I'm sure many people would pay 20$ to encourage a project to get alembic in XSI, but that's not how it's going to cost and it surrrrrely is going to get tiresome for people to pay here and there for things they think they should get for free.
Well if it could never die. It would be reinvigorated.luceric wrote:
Pay both subscription AND crowd funded features? I'm not sure the would make the "user base would grow rapidly". I think that would fizzle out quickly. I assume these people want autodesk to continue XSI, not pay an external makeup artist to put shiny makeup on a zombie.
Cast your votes. Not for what's probable but what's possible!
Would Softimage take off! ???
You may be right. But if it did take off, they would reconsider. I will reread your posts when I have the chance.Letterbox wrote:And realistically I believe that SI was purchased as nothing more than a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barriers_to_entry