Handling of massive amounts of objects

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Handling of massive amounts of objects

Post by luceric » 27 Sep 2013, 12:56

you know about the freezing(s) in various apps, in my experience this happens when windows starts to swap to disk as you run of physical ram. when that happens everything is terrible, even trying to alt-tab or moving the mouse

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Handling of massive amounts of objects

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Sep 2013, 16:11

luceric wrote:you know about the freezing(s) in various apps, in my experience this happens when windows starts to swap to disk as you run of physical ram. when that happens everything is terrible, even trying to alt-tab or moving the mouse
Actually no. I never got any other app than freeze because of running out of RAM Nuke and AFX have mechanisms to limit the use of RAM. It's always internal data stuff or program error. I'm monitoring my RAM so I'm very sure. Sometimes you see max freeze with only 16 gig of 32 used, and fiddle around with something for an hour on one single core of 16. The same happened with maya when I tested.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Handling of massive amounts of objects

Post by luceric » 27 Sep 2013, 16:32

yeah Compositing apps, and painting apps, are good at controlling their ram. I'm not aware of anything like this for 3d app, except perhaps for something like Katana, where everything is a reference to a disk file (just like in compositing)
Last edited by luceric on 27 Sep 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Handling of massive amounts of objects

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Sep 2013, 16:34

luceric wrote:yeah Compositing apps, and painting apps, are good at controlling their ram. I'm not aware of anything like this for 3d app, excep perhaps for something like Katana, where everything is a reference to a disk file (just like in compositing)
Vray does a very good job too.
I'm now part of an endangered species...