Maya LT

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Aug 2013, 08:03

BenR wrote:That TomsHardware page is down right now.
Yet another fine example of Autodesk marketing and PR...
PS - I do understand, WHY the page probably got pulled, but that's besides the point IMHO.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 28 Aug 2013, 10:08

Nox wrote:Is this a joke? With such restrictions Maya LT should be free.
Must be. Without everything that makes maya halfway usable, that would be fun to watch :))

This shows how far AD marketing is from reality.

One tip for AD: Make a product, that everyone is desperate to spent money for. Basic principle in a free economy.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by luceric » 28 Aug 2013, 11:18

myara wrote: And the 25K poly limit is absurd. It would have been fine for games 10 or 15 years ago. You would need a full Maya to import MLT files and export them in FBX right?
of course not, that 25k poly limit is in its fbx export, so it obviously has it.

the polygon limit should be fine, the target is characters for mobile gaming.

User avatar
myara
Posts: 406
Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by myara » 28 Aug 2013, 12:14

I see, I was thinking in creating 25K+ poly MLT files, import them in Maya (asuming MLT files are importable) and then export them in 25K+ FBX files to have a cheap workflow, but I guess that the 25K polygon limit should be fine for the amateur mobile market. A professional market would need custom tools.

I'll wait for more details in an official announcement.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by luceric » 28 Aug 2013, 12:20

myara wrote:I see, I was thinking in creating 25K+ poly MLT files, import them in Maya (asuming MLT files are importable) and then export them in 25K+ FBX files to have a cheap workflow, but I guess that the 25K polygon limit should be fine for the amateur mobile market. A professional market would need custom tools.

I'll wait for more details in an official announcement.
there is no polygon limit in the app or in the mlt file. It's in the FBX exporter that there is a limit PER MESH (you could export many meshes). you cannot load mlt files in maya. but maya lt loads maya file and fbx files of any size.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Bellsey » 28 Aug 2013, 13:31

Yep, you can load .ma and .mb files in Maya LT, however any unsupported nodes/elements are removed. If you load scenes that include file references, then the referenced objects are automatically loaded into the LT scene.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by luceric » 28 Aug 2013, 14:48


User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Nizar » 28 Aug 2013, 15:50

suspect we'll not see nothing similar for softimage (but now is pretty clear what is the winner application)

can be a game cage, this move can clip wings to blender (and modo) aspirations in the indie game industries. This plus the strong presence inside courses/schools (practically a monopolies) and the big studios make Maya something very close to becoming standard.

Falam

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Falam » 28 Aug 2013, 15:55

Maya LT, is the former, Softimage Foundation. The big question remains, will Autodesk bring back Softimage Foundation, with a lower subscription fee ? If they are smart, they will, foundation was a success, sure some things make be removed, I would guess a slimmed down version of ICE, with less ICE nodes, for example.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Nizar » 28 Aug 2013, 16:17

I don't think they lost time and resource for promoting softimage. Is clear the application they want push is maya for games and freelance (with this LT version the aim is clear the freelancer, a field where LW, Modo, Cinema and Blender are a real competitor), so better don't have any competitor in house

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Bellsey » 28 Aug 2013, 16:37

Falam wrote:Maya LT, is the former, Softimage Foundation. The big question remains, will Autodesk bring back Softimage Foundation, with a lower subscription fee ? If they are smart, they will, foundation was a success, sure some things make be removed, I would guess a slimmed down version of ICE, with less ICE nodes, for example.
I believe (if memory serves) that it was shown from various posts here, that the old XSI Foundation wasn't perhaps the roaring success many might of thought it was.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Bullit » 28 Aug 2013, 17:02

Not suprisingly since it did not have global ilumination when everyone else had.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by ojo3D » 28 Aug 2013, 17:56

I'm sorry, but in no way this Maya LT is better then Modo or Lightwave by any stretch of the imagination.

You may have the animation capabilities of Maya, but no dynamics and rendering engine. For a freelancer is more smart to buy Modo or LW. For games, in a pipeline, it will have its value.

I don't think that game developers would prefer to buy this version with it's limitations if they are freelancers. Now, if the goal is to someday work in a game studio, than perhaps.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Bellsey » 28 Aug 2013, 18:11

ojo3D wrote:I'm sorry, but in no way this Maya LT is better then Modo or Lightwave by any stretch of the imagination.

You may have the animation capabilities of Maya, but no dynamics and rendering engine. For a freelancer is more smart to buy Modo or LW. For games, in a pipeline, it will have its value.

I don't think that game developers would prefer to buy this version with it's limitations if they are freelancers. Now, if the goal is to someday work in a game studio, than perhaps.
I think you're missing the point of MayaLT. We're not trying to beat the likes of Modo or Lightwave.
The main reason for launching Maya LT was the requirement of mobile game developers. These guys can be very small indie studios who often require multiple/cross platform support for Mac and PC. Many develop for iOS on a mac.
They're not really interested in things like dynamics and rendering engines.

Gamesutra article

Game from scratch Q&A

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by Daniel Brassard » 28 Aug 2013, 18:35

@Administrator

Can we separate the OT/Maya LT information to a separate thread so that it does not get diluted within the Autodesk/Adobe thread?

Thanks.

Done - HB
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Autodesk goes Adobe

Post by SreckoM » 28 Aug 2013, 18:44

Honestly I do not see who can be interested into MayaLT except people already familiar with Maya. Why would anyone choose this instead of Blender for example? It has much better cost/benefit ratio (most important thing for indie devs). Or just buy Modo for few bucks more (if you are in EU). If I am making indie team or doing project myself, only plus would be Maya viewport. But without scripting possibilities I would not even consider it. I mean why giving 1200 usd for something with so many restrictions, really do not see point of that.
Last edited by SreckoM on 28 Aug 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
- H -