Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Nox » 11 Jul 2013, 17:12

Do you mean it makes all calculations like scene editing on the cloud? Something like Gaikai? Are you sure?

BTW, hiring freelancer means someone with his personal PC and software ready for project.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Jul 2013, 17:59

SamHowell wrote:An alternative could be. I hire 5 freelancers, rent a web based service for a month. They all work from home using their average, inexpensive laptops. Our assets are saved on the cloud, our rendering is done through the cloud. We all colaborate simultaneously on our scenes. The job is finished and delivered. My 3d web based service rental expires. I invoice the client and wait for the money to appear in my account. I walk away with nothing to maintain or pay for until the next job comes along.
There seems to be one slight flaw in that scenario: you'd still have to find 5 freelancers proficient enough in the software to work it efficiently, as you don't want to waste time training them. This goes for any software, but sadly doesn't change for software "in the cloud". And then the viability of a tool like this in such a scenario would depend on the popularity of the tool to begin with, I'm afraid...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by SamHowell » 11 Jul 2013, 18:55

Hirazi Blue wrote:There seems to be one slight flaw in that scenario: you'd still have to find 5 freelancers proficient enough in the software to work it efficiently, as you don't want to waste time training them. This goes for any software, but sadly doesn't change for software "in the cloud". And then the viability of a tool like this in such a scenario would depend on the popularity of the tool to begin with, I'm afraid...
;)
Good point. It would take time for a large enough pool of artists with the right skills to emerge. This could potentially be a long time. I suppose software that gets into this area early have the potential to be the leaders.
Do you mean it makes all calculations like scene editing on the cloud? Something like Gaikai? Are you sure?

BTW, hiring freelancer means someone with his personal PC and software ready for project.
I'm no expert but I think that's what the idea is. If it's anything like Lagoa render then it will run purely through your browser and the hard work goes on at the other end. I could be wrong though, maybe it uses some resources from your computer aswell.

I was thinking of freelancers that sell their skills and use the software and hardware of their employers.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Jul 2013, 20:48

Hirazi Blue wrote: There seems to be one slight flaw in that scenario: you'd still have to find 5 freelancers proficient enough in the software to work it efficiently, as you don't want to waste time training them. This goes for any software, but sadly doesn't change for software "in the cloud". And then the viability of a tool like this in such a scenario would depend on the popularity of the tool to begin with, I'm afraid...
;)
Of course, but.... entire idea seems to very very attractive for employers and investors. Not only because it's cheaper. Finally there is unlimited possibility for out sourcing, as everything is already out sourced. So, anyone with good internet connection, anywhere on planet, become a competitor.
As someone who already survived several attempts of 'replacing' :) by (even more) cheap labor, I don't believe that much in idea of unlimited out sourcing, at last when it comes to products for local markets, like TV commercials. There are unbelievably huge differences in taste of audience, clients, art directors. Someone from another side of the planet simply can't understand that, easy making something offensive, or just wrong, for local people. But some impact will happen.
In any case, an another big wave seems to be coming. We need to learn, at least, to keep head above the water, if not riding.....

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Bullit » 11 Jul 2013, 23:26

People and circumstances/projects are different so diverse tools are very welcome. I usually turn my nose in anything cloud/web related since i'll be dependent on the company if i want to open an old project but others might not.

User avatar
bhouston
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 16:52
Skype: ben.exocortex

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by bhouston » 12 Jul 2013, 01:38

SamHowell wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:There seems to be one slight flaw in that scenario: you'd still have to find 5 freelancers proficient enough in the software to work it efficiently, as you don't want to waste time training them. This goes for any software, but sadly doesn't change for software "in the cloud". And then the viability of a tool like this in such a scenario would depend on the popularity of the tool to begin with, I'm afraid...
;)
Good point. It would take time for a large enough pool of artists with the right skills to emerge. This could potentially be a long time. I suppose software that gets into this area early have the potential to be the leaders.
Clara.io is very similar in interface to existing software so it should be incredibly easy to pick up.
SamHowell wrote:
Do you mean it makes all calculations like scene editing on the cloud? Something like Gaikai? Are you sure?

BTW, hiring freelancer means someone with his personal PC and software ready for project.
I'm no expert but I think that's what the idea is. If it's anything like Lagoa render then it will run purely through your browser and the hard work goes on at the other end. I could be wrong though, maybe it uses some resources from your computer aswell.
We use both the resources on your PC and also those on the cloud. The really hard stuff must happen on the cloud and all the data needs to be stored on the cloud.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by SamHowell » 12 Jul 2013, 09:18

bhouston wrote:We use both the resources on your PC and also those on the cloud. The really hard stuff must happen on the cloud and all the data needs to be stored on the cloud.
Can this data be taken off the cloud? Can I back up my own assets locally and export obj, fbx, alembic etc. files for use in other software packages?

User avatar
bhouston
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 16:52
Skype: ben.exocortex

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by bhouston » 12 Jul 2013, 09:31

SamHowell wrote:
bhouston wrote:We use both the resources on your PC and also those on the cloud. The really hard stuff must happen on the cloud and all the data needs to be stored on the cloud.
Can this data be taken off the cloud? Can I back up my own assets locally and export obj, fbx, alembic etc. files for use in other software packages?
We currently support OBJ, FBX, Collada, STL and ThreeJS export.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Jul 2013, 09:55

bhouston wrote:Clara.io is very similar in interface to existing software so it should be incredibly easy to pick up.
BTW - My remark was meant as a general comment on the viability of the "scheme" SamHowell was proposing, not some premature judgment of Clara.io. But in his "scheme" the "rent your software" model obviously is of bigger importance anyway...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 15 Jul 2013, 20:06

What if my internet connection breaks down?
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Maximus » 15 Jul 2013, 21:49

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:What if my internet connection breaks down?
You go out for a beer :-bd

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 16 Jul 2013, 17:22

Maximus wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:What if my internet connection breaks down?
You go out for a beer :-bd
I'm in! :D
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by SamHowell » 17 Jul 2013, 09:38

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:What if my internet connection breaks down?
That's where the master plan fails. :((

Try explaining this to an angry client. A powercut they would understand but an internet failure they would not.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by SamHowell » 17 Jul 2013, 09:57

And my internet connection has just slowed to a crawl... 8-x

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Aug 2013, 19:13

FYI - I was granted entry to the clara.io beta today.
First impression: looking good. Ecstatic (sort of), that I had just upped my bandwidth.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Exocortex Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D creation

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 22 Aug 2013, 20:33

Is there really no chance that there will be an offline version one day? I have high bandwidth but a limited data volume and unstable connection, so any cloud based service is completely useless for me (and others with a similar provider).
I won't even be able to train it.
I'm now part of an endangered species...