Creation: Horde and Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Creation: Horde and Softimage

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 02 May 2013, 11:20

Letterbox wrote:LFV, don't get me wrong, I'm with you in hammering Autodesk (the corp, not the people, I understand your differentiation), when/if they deserve it, and they often do, but please, not every single thread. Two reasons, a) It gets tiresome. b) it looses it's impact, when you do go ballistic.

As to do so in this thread I feel is misplaced choice, for one is forgetting the solace gained from developers like Paul, Helge and the rest of the team at Fabric-Engine, who are actively supporting Softimage.

Considering it's not the biggest market, and therefore less in revenues, it was and IS a brave choice on Fabric-Engine's part to develop for SI. That choice allows great artists to still create great works using their toolset(s) and the dcc of the artists choice. You have to respect that call by the team at Fabric-Engine. And dragging AD into this thread dilutes that, and I know you LFV obviously value that call too, even in moments of frustration.

As for Paul's and Helge's comments to my questions, what I'm particularly glad to hear is that they are thinking of HSA & HPC now, and that gives us even in these very early & preliminary questions, the knowledge that an alternative choice to the 'usual suspects' exists, and is being actively developed. That's welcome news.

Which, LVF, I'm sure you see that too, and it's exactly what I'm talking about. Choice.

Thanks to both Paul and Helge for both your very complete answers in these early days. Appreciated.
You're right. My posts here seem to have gotten pushed a bit too far by the momentum of my other rants ;)

Regarding horde: "That is so cool" is about everything I can say about it. These guys definitely need no constructive comments, because they already know what they are doing. And it's hard to ask, why there is put so much effort in crowd fx, when there is horde coming, gepetto is developed at least three other crowd systems are already on the market, without using the A word.
I think developing horde as an external tool was the much better choice, because crowd sim just isn't everybodies everday business.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

jamination
Posts: 174
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58

Re: Creation: Horde and Softimage

Post by jamination » 03 May 2013, 18:50

I am curious the ballpark figure this module will be priced at, and is it expected in 2013?
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: Creation: Horde and Softimage

Post by FabricPaul » 03 May 2013, 19:23

Hi Phil - you can use it now if you want to join the testing group. We've got people in there looking to use it on production in the next month or so. We haven't fixed pricing yet, but it won't be too far away from other crowd solutions. PM me if you'd like to take a look.

Thanks,

Paul