How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Chris Chia
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Chris Chia » 25 Apr 2013, 07:07

adrencg wrote:
Chris Chia wrote:
adrencg wrote:Something is really off with Syflex.

Now I can't get any Syflex cloth to work at all. I noticed that the Syflex Cloth PPG is different now when I click node. There's no sim settings on the top part, only the stiffness damping etc is visible. I might need to re-install 2014 to hopefully get it to work again.

Or I might just forget 2014 and go back to 2013 sp1. I can't work with this quirky software. It's a shame, because the only reason I even downloaded 2014 was to get the new features of Syflex for weight maps.

Make sure the preference folder is clean as it has some ICE node caching mechanism in it.
And when you said there's no sim settings on the top part, are you using Version 2.0 of the Syflex Cloth?
Make sure you see the Weightmap and Points port under the new Active Area|
I started 2014 again today and now the new Syflex node is back. I'm glad it works again, but I'm a little disturbed by this quirky behavior. I'm scared to work in 2014 now, because once I start saving some scenes it won't be possible to go back to 2013.
Syflex 2014 has some new features which you would have no choice but to work in 2014.
It should be stable as long as you distinguish your preferences folder from 2013.

Keep posting here if you run into any bug

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Pooby » 25 Apr 2013, 07:24

Chris. Is it an inherent limitation of syflex that you cannot change the values of maps over time?

Chris Chia
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Chris Chia » 25 Apr 2013, 07:52

Pooby wrote:Chris. Is it an inherent limitation of syflex that you cannot change the values of maps over time?
Do you want to show me your ice tree setup?
One should be able to animate the values of the map with blend or any arithmetic nodes.

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by adrencg » 25 Apr 2013, 18:09

Ok, this is not an exact reproduction of steps, but I give a sense of what I was doing to make Softimage crash and destroy my ICE tree upon recovery.

I was heavily modifying some geometry with Syflex applied. I froze the modeling, and hit the play button to simulate. On the 1st frame, Softimage crashed.

I recovered the scene upon the next restart and the ICE tree with Syflex was broken apart.

Even worse, when I open the last aved scene, the Syflex doesn't work, and I have to re-add the nodes and reconnect everything. All bugs are bad, but this one is kind of nasty.

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Pooby » 26 Apr 2013, 14:02

Chris Chia wrote:
Pooby wrote:Chris. Is it an inherent limitation of syflex that you cannot change the values of maps over time?
Do you want to show me your ice tree setup?
One should be able to animate the values of the map with blend or any arithmetic nodes.
Well, its encouraging to know that this is the intention. In which case it needs fixing.
I've tried it numerous ways.
this should demonstrate the problem/s

https://vimeo.com/64885778

password: syflex

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by adrencg » 29 Apr 2013, 16:47

I wish I could pinpoint any specific thing that's making my experience with 2014 so bad. I could be doing any random thing to make it crash. This time I just lost about an hour of work from using the proportional modeling tool. There was no scene recovery -- and even worse the autosave wasn't actually saving any scene. I saw it saving something every few minutes to interrupt my work, but there's nothing in the backups folders.

This version of 2014 gets no more chances from me. Uninstalling and using 2013 until a service pack is released.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by rray » 29 Apr 2013, 19:00

Pooby wrote:
Chris Chia wrote:
Pooby wrote:Chris. Is it an inherent limitation of syflex that you cannot change the values of maps over time?
this should demonstrate the problem/s

https://vimeo.com/64885778

password: syflex
This works when moving the null interactively during playback. Must be a refresh problem, probably the update notification sometimes doesn't get carried over with the custom syForce datatype. Makes me wonder if there's a way to trick ICE into thinking something was done interactively.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Chris Chia
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Chris Chia » 02 May 2013, 04:23

adrencg wrote:I wish I could pinpoint any specific thing that's making my experience with 2014 so bad. I could be doing any random thing to make it crash. This time I just lost about an hour of work from using the proportional modeling tool. There was no scene recovery -- and even worse the autosave wasn't actually saving any scene. I saw it saving something every few minutes to interrupt my work, but there's nothing in the backups folders.

This version of 2014 gets no more chances from me. Uninstalling and using 2013 until a service pack is released.
Is it possible to send a CER report and comment in the dialog box to let us know what you were doing?
It seems to be quite a BUG to cause a crash in your workflow.

Chris Chia
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Chris Chia » 02 May 2013, 04:32

Pooby wrote:
Chris Chia wrote:
Pooby wrote:Chris. Is it an inherent limitation of syflex that you cannot change the values of maps over time?
Do you want to show me your ice tree setup?
One should be able to animate the values of the map with blend or any arithmetic nodes.
Well, its encouraging to know that this is the intention. In which case it needs fixing.
I've tried it numerous ways.
this should demonstrate the problem/s

https://vimeo.com/64885778

password: syflex
Just curious, what if you move the ICE Tree to a simulation stack? Would it work?

Chris Chia
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 03:10

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by Chris Chia » 02 May 2013, 04:48

Ok, it didn't work. I will file it under improvement.
As for the crashes, please do send the CER so that we could try to fix the crash

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by mattmos » 02 May 2013, 11:11

Hi Chris,

this would be a HUGE improvement in workflow when using syflex, please do make this as high a priority as you can.

Cheers!

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by rray » 02 May 2013, 13:46

+1 to that, was the 2014 feature I've been looking the most forward to.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by owei » 02 May 2013, 15:21

Hey..! Sorry, did I get that correct? Weightmaps are NOT updated each frame?? Really..? Sorry, but that really pi**es me off... . I was looking forward to exactly THAT! 0,8k Euro for this...

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by rray » 02 May 2013, 16:10

owei wrote:Hey..! Sorry, did I get that correct? Weightmaps are NOT updated each frame?? Really..? Sorry, but that really pi**es me off... . I was looking forward to exactly THAT! 0,8k Euro for this...
Yes unfortunately, Syflex @ "per point" only reacts to manual scene changes (slider change, viewport manipulations). Should be quickly fixable since it's only another "type" of scene dirtyness.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by owei » 02 May 2013, 16:43

...thanks rray..very annoying though, I hoped to use these "features" for the project I´m on...I assume, nobody tested that, it seems, as it works on manual changes...poor, really poor...

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by origin » 02 May 2013, 17:32

Would this fix syflex problem? originalpp is pointposition stored on modelling stack icetree
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.