So Impressions

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 20 Apr 2013, 11:31

So here's another one that made it in the new release. I know this one for some time but i didn't report it, because I thought, this is so obvious, someone else has already seen and reported it:

[wmv]http://www.canned-planet.com/media/retime.wmv[/wmv]

You can see clearly, that some random curves are ignored when rippling. Sometimes some curves are only scaled or rippled with a tiny delay, almost unnoticeable, but it can screw up an entire animation. As a workaround you have to use at least 3 retime markers and move the two rightmost together. If you don't know that and a lot of keys are outside the visible range it is easy to create a real mess.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: So Impressions

Post by Rork » 20 Apr 2013, 12:04

Ppl,

When posting your 'bugs', please3 write how to repo them. Than people can check if it is you, or indeed a bug......

If so, maybe people reading this thread, and are on the beta list, can log these bugs.

Complaining without a repo doesn't help bughunting, does it? ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 20 Apr 2013, 12:14

I added a video showing the steps? Isn't it visible for all?

Ah, about complaining:

The "send to" function, doesn't seem to work here at all, neither from or to maya nor from or to mudbox. Can anyone confirm?
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: So Impressions

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Apr 2013, 12:22

@Rork - Generally speaking: Agree about the necessity of clear repro steps...
Rork wrote:If so, maybe people reading this thread, and are on the beta list, can log these bugs.
This, however makes it sound, if bug reporting is something only people on the beta list can do, while you can also do through the Subscription Center and through this web form (although it hasn't been updated to include Softimage 2014 yet)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: So Impressions

Post by Rork » 20 Apr 2013, 12:23

yeah.. sorry, missed the vid ;)

with the send to... options, that's from within the 2014 applications, right?
because you cannot send to... from different versions. e.g. no 2013<>2014 etc.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: So Impressions

Post by Rork » 20 Apr 2013, 12:25

This, however makes it sound, if bug reporting is something only people on the beta list can do,
no, but might the faster track......
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 20 Apr 2013, 12:50

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Rork - Generally speaking: Agree about the necessity of clear repro steps...
Rork wrote:If so, maybe people reading this thread, and are on the beta list, can log these bugs.
This, however makes it sound, if bug reporting is something only people on the beta list can do, while you can also do through the Subscription Center and through this web form (although it hasn't been updated to include Softimage 2014 yet)
I also thought beta was over with the release? Oh, I forgot, it's Autodesk...
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 20 Apr 2013, 12:51

Rork wrote:yeah.. sorry, missed the vid ;)

with the send to... options, that's from within the 2014 applications, right?
because you cannot send to... from different versions. e.g. no 2013<>2014 etc.
Absolutely. :)

Edit: the send to function actually opens the right application, but nothing is transferred.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: So Impressions

Post by xsisupport » 21 Apr 2013, 11:24

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Rork wrote:yeah.. sorry, missed the vid ;)

with the send to... options, that's from within the 2014 applications, right?
because you cannot send to... from different versions. e.g. no 2013<>2014 etc.
Absolutely. :)

Edit: the send to function actually opens the right application, but nothing is transferred.
I've seen that sometimes when sending to Maya...and then I clicked in Maya and that seemed to wake things up and the Send finished. It's like it was paused or something. I don't do Send a lot so I cannot be more specific.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: So Impressions

Post by Bellsey » 22 Apr 2013, 10:01

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:@Rork - Generally speaking: Agree about the necessity of clear repro steps...
Rork wrote:If so, maybe people reading this thread, and are on the beta list, can log these bugs.
This, however makes it sound, if bug reporting is something only people on the beta list can do, while you can also do through the Subscription Center and through this web form (although it hasn't been updated to include Softimage 2014 yet)
I also thought beta was over with the release? Oh, I forgot, it's Autodesk...
In the past it was like that, but now as part of the overall feedback community, 'Beta' is a kinda constant ongoing project with preview release builds being dropped on a regular basis (sometimes monthly).

On the 'Send To' function, I have also experienced the oddity of the pause. I haven't been able to figure out why this happens when sending from Softimage to Maya. Usually when there's a lag/pause and nothing appears to be happening, I've just clicked on the File Menu and as Stephen says, it wakes up and works.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: So Impressions

Post by Eugen » 22 Apr 2013, 19:22

Regarding that pivot bug:
The only case I have encountered the pivot being definitely wrong is with subcurves, which I reported in the 2014 beta (no fix yet).

Did you change the temporary tool pivot?

User avatar
csaez
Posts: 253
Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31
Skype: csaezmargotta
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: So Impressions

Post by csaez » 22 Apr 2013, 19:54

Eugen wrote:Regarding that pivot bug:
The only case I have encountered the pivot being definitely wrong is with subcurves, which I reported in the 2014 beta (no fix yet).

Did you change the temporary tool pivot?
The loops in the screenshot are not uniformly distributed over its surface, so the point position average is not at the center of its bounding box.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Apr 2013, 11:01

csaez wrote:
Eugen wrote:Regarding that pivot bug:
The only case I have encountered the pivot being definitely wrong is with subcurves, which I reported in the 2014 beta (no fix yet).

Did you change the temporary tool pivot?
The loops in the screenshot are not uniformly distributed over its surface, so the point position average is not at the center of its bounding box.
Yes they are uniformly distributed. You can try it out.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Apr 2013, 11:04

xsisupport wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Rork wrote:yeah.. sorry, missed the vid ;)

with the send to... options, that's from within the 2014 applications, right?
because you cannot send to... from different versions. e.g. no 2013<>2014 etc.
Absolutely. :)

Edit: the send to function actually opens the right application, but nothing is transferred.
I've seen that sometimes when sending to Maya...and then I clicked in Maya and that seemed to wake things up and the Send finished. It's like it was paused or something. I don't do Send a lot so I cannot be more specific.
I know it was like that (nothing to be proud of either). At first I thought that was the problem. But as I said in my post: Nothing gets transferred - not from soft to maya, not from maya to soft, not from soft to mudbox, not from maya to mudbox. There is also not "connected to maya" button in the ui. And anyway: Why in all the world does the send to function still change my viewmanager layout for no obvious reason? That is soooo annoying.
Last edited by Lord Futzi Voldemort on 23 Apr 2013, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Apr 2013, 11:07

Eugen wrote:Regarding that pivot bug:
The only case I have encountered the pivot being definitely wrong is with subcurves, which I reported in the 2014 beta (no fix yet).

Did you change the temporary tool pivot?

I fact, I had a problem once, where the temporary pivot was not reset, after deselecting the object. That was a different issue and is not related to the confirmed COG bug. Just try it: create a cube, add 3 edgeloops select the point and watch.

Here a re a few other interesting experiments:

Create a grid, select all points and play around with the references, COG, Obj, Local etc. - The Gizmo will always be in the right place. Now connect two of the points somewhere in the grid. The COG is immediately off. So I thought, well it is calculated based on Polygon numbers and position, not based on point numbers and position as you would expect.
In the image the xform gizmo is in local mode and offset!
cog_wrong.jpg
But then I switched to rotate, and surprise, the gizmo is right where it should be in object mode.
cog_right.jpg
But in COG or Local mode it is off center, so no it can't be the number of polygons.
cog_local_wrong.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lord Futzi Voldemort on 23 Apr 2013, 12:34, edited 3 times in total.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: So Impressions

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Apr 2013, 11:08

Bellsey wrote:
In the past it was like that, but now as part of the overall feedback community, 'Beta' is a kinda constant ongoing project with preview release builds being dropped on a regular basis (sometimes monthly).

.
So were buying in fact an unfinished product. Well, in that respect, nothing much has changed anyway.

I don't understand why you don't release monthly or bimonthly builds, so we can benefit from that "beta" work. Instead we wait a whole year, only to find out, that our reports are ignored. Good way to make unhappy customers.
apologizer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...