Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Apr 2013, 17:41

Letterbox wrote:
As for the fx tree bullit, that's long since dead
I know I am amoungst its very few users ;) Then again only for very simple pass layering to get an idea of what I want from my renders before I ship the final versions off to Composite / Smoke.

Unlike Lagoa and a lot of the other features that were very niche Illusion had the potential to be something game changing. When ICE was added I was looking forward to them leveraging the strength of what they could have done to make SI a nearly one stop shop.

Sadly I think that will end up being the legacy of SI. Even though in my opinion its still the best at what it does , will be all the things that could have , and should have been.

And Yes Luceric I am emotional on that ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by luceric » 04 Apr 2013, 18:01

angus_davidson wrote:And Yes Luceric I am emotional on that ;)
I'd never actually put down anyone for being emotional on software! I am emotional about them as well.
I just tease anyone who claims not to be :P

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Apr 2013, 19:04

Just a few words more about the winner. In short, even it's acquired by Nemetschek AG 2000, founders are still leaders of Cinema. Last sentence says: "Despite this rapid development speed, stability remains excellent for the product. MAXON's experienced programming team is still headed by CINEMA 4D's original programmers, who ensure that all new features stay true to their aims from day one of power, speed, stability and ease-of-use." - I'd say, not like some bad guys who can't stop changing the teams, and who knows what else :)

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Chris_TC » 04 Apr 2013, 21:05

Bellsey wrote:I believe I stated in a previous thread commenting on a really nice piece of C4D work, that there wasn't anything in the video clip I saw that I couldnt already do in Softimage/ICE, and I do stand by that.
Could you post a link to the video?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Bullit » 04 Apr 2013, 21:15

Was it the headphones one?

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Apr 2013, 22:05

Bullit wrote:Was it the headphones one?
I think so. Of course it can be done with Softimage ICE, even in first version (with help of some "cheating", using pre-exploded polygons or like). But I think the whole story is not about "can it be done" , it's not even "how" - I think huge majority of C4d users don't know about entire 3d, enough to make something like that. I'd say, it's about Adobe's choice, which software to offer to huge number of AfterEffects people. Still, I think everything is very good for "us*, because the choice is 3d app which is just a "standard" 3d. In other words, it could be worse, they can choose something different, along line of zBrush or SkechUp. I don't believe this will affect AD earnings that much, as AD never-ever showed interest in "low cost 3d", frequent for freelancers or individuals. If offering the 3d app for let's say, 500 bucks is "shame" for AD people, then they are out of this business - simply as that. Newtek or Luxology should worry about this, anyway.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Apr 2013, 05:07

luceric wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:And Yes Luceric I am emotional on that ;)
I'd never actually put down anyone for being emotional on software! I am emotional about them as well.
I just tease anyone who claims not to be :P
:D
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Bullit » 05 Apr 2013, 06:48

I don't believe this will affect AD earnings that much, as AD never-ever showed interest in "low cost 3d", frequent for freelancers or individuals.
At risk of getting supreme master Hirazi wrath i suppose you know Autocad got widespread use due to "no cost"... Many firms start small and only later go bigger, this is an head start from Maxon.
Sketchup btw is cutting into 3dsMax/Design market already.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Rork » 05 Apr 2013, 08:17

True.

I see a lot of Sketchup these day, in combination with Vray. Especially the Architectural bureau's are moving away from Max and into Sketchup. Most architectural software has some form of connection to Sketchup, so moving into 3dviz is very simple.

No need for overly complicated software like Max for easy 3d studies and renders.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Bullit » 05 Apr 2013, 09:04

Yep. No need for more evidence than that perspective match they have put in Max 2014 - copy from the tool in Sketchup - once again Autodesk playing catch up.

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Bellsey » 05 Apr 2013, 10:54

all fair points, however where's SketchUp now? Google sold it. Anyone know how things have been since Trimble took over?

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by luceric » 05 Apr 2013, 12:04

I don't believe this will affect AD earnings that much, as AD never-ever showed interest in "low cost 3d", frequent for freelancers or individuals.
I agree , but just for completeness,
Autodesk makes free consumer software, like Autodesk 123d and a few iOS apps. just not m&e apps, possibly due to Marc Petit's fixation on big studios only.
they have a consumer group

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Apr 2013, 12:09

Bellsey wrote:all fair points, however where's SketchUp now? Google sold it. Anyone know how things have been since Trimble took over?

I know trying to get them to move my edu license from Windows to Mac has been an excercise in patience.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Bullit » 05 Apr 2013, 14:03

I only more or less keep up with enormous list of plugins for Sketchup to see what it can achieve. I am not aware of what they have been up to recently. I most say that modeling with Sketchup sometimes is a real pleasure. I mean it is not only the pleasure of final achievement it is the process of something being born, since it can be a flowing process.

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by Letterbox » 05 Apr 2013, 18:18

luceric wrote:I just tease anyone who claims not to be :P
You can try and tease me all you want, but since I dont get emotional over software, it's really pointless exercise. Honestly luceric I'd thought you'd have figured that out by now. That's Autodesk for you, numbs the mind. ;)

I say screw emotion, embrace the change, the times, the new technology, the expectations because the world changes every day. ---- Isn't that right MayaBoy ;)

For everyone else, play with Lagoa, fabric engine, sketchup, even blender, all of those are new and increasingly gaining more exposure as VC's invest in them to be 'tomorrows technology'. If you don't learn them or at least try them out, you really run the risk of getting stuck in a dead-end. And who knows you might just like 'em.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Softimage the best Autodesk tool against competition

Post by FXDude » 06 Apr 2013, 03:30

There's a reason existing shops that predominantly use XSI choose to do so,
and you can be sure many of them have also extensively ran with Maya
(while surely also using Maya for many things)

But my point is, as teams making images, I hardly think that has to do with 'emotion'
and I think it's the same reason(s) I and whoever knows it, likes it.

(notwithstanding how different things can be better at different things, but..)

But I'd personally take the first opportunity to switch
if something evolved to something worthwhile, and would do so for a number of reasons ..

And people would naturally switch whenever (or if-ever)
it would stop to so persistently kick ass ; ) beyond all the complaining about it..


That's for overall.. call it versatility..

But another factor (or non-factor) for me is,
I'm personally not impressed, or don't praise McDonalds *because* it's BIG or 'dominant',

Especially considering how sometimes, what many may consider as 'not right methods' , can be considered as 'good',
as long as there is a personal ( or private ) benefit ( or that it doesn't look too bad, or show too much )
( the ends justifying the ( sometimes relatively mean ) means )

I can understand how some may be awed by bigtime dominators, or feel more secure being on the 'winner's' popular camp..
but there seems to be a (dark) common denominator ( not talking interface tint ) to practically every dominator...
but guess we all have different interpretations or criterias of what can be 'good' or what can be 'better'..

For me even if Maya suddenly weren't like layers of interface over things that you don't know what's happening,
( but often need to ( need to deal with that ) because of all these layers are there, .. while surely remaining good at a number of things )

But I would still have trouble making abstraction of the bulk of the preceding,
and would likely be more inclined at switching to other good choices if I had to.
( which is unlikely in the near future, but it sure wouldn't be for sketchup ; )