Softimage 2014
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage 2014
Well thats bit sad release, but to be honest, if I would judge software lifetime from new stuff presented, I say all of 3 all dead ;)
-
j3st3r
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 07:13
Re: Softimage 2014
He has a superslow laptop...HQV is not that slowAlexanderM wrote:New "HQ" viewport so super slow and laggy that the demonstrator is afraid to press Sagain (2 years of development of this...I do not know how to call it)
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Softimage 2014
Now softimage is presented "Autodesk® Softimage® 2014 3D character animation, modeling, visual effects, and game development software", so not only a particle plugin, an improvement. This is the first time, in AD marketing and presentation, I see softimage treated like the rest of the family. Nice
Then I clicked "Products" menu and there is not softimage signs (under products menu as usual 3dsm, maya, inventor etc. etc. but not softimage, so if you arrive in this page don't exist any way to find softimge... this is not nice.... so is clear Softimage is not a ADSK product...
IMHO new logo is very ugly, but here is the some for all the software under ADSK (also ADSK logo is ugly too, a bit silly design in my opinion)
EDIT: softimage page is in "Other products", so softimage is a ADSK product...
Then I clicked "Products" menu and there is not softimage signs (under products menu as usual 3dsm, maya, inventor etc. etc. but not softimage, so if you arrive in this page don't exist any way to find softimge... this is not nice.... so is clear Softimage is not a ADSK product...
IMHO new logo is very ugly, but here is the some for all the software under ADSK (also ADSK logo is ugly too, a bit silly design in my opinion)
EDIT: softimage page is in "Other products", so softimage is a ADSK product...
-
t4d
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26
Re: Softimage 2014
mirkoj wrote:Imagine this:
Create Softimage user develop area.
People present their compounds, addons, renderers and people can donate ... like small kick starter for Softimage only.
You would see boom in development and such progress that hasn;t bin seen in years since AD bought SI....
Probably a lot more people would actually put their money into improving and getting tools for current version of SI then throwing it out to not developed versions at all.
In the mean time in AD land.....
ooooh the horror....
very cool idea I wonder with the current successfully kick-starters
if Avid done it now and sold softimage to a kickstarter company
I think they would have made more then selling it to Autodesk.. I'm sure afew studios would have jumped in..
yeah the sad thing is Autodesk will never make an alternative to maya and max for profit reasons.
2012 was AD buying lagoa physics Yes softimage got it ( but my guess would be the motivating was to bring it to max maya)
before that the updates were the coolness from the avid team finalizing tasks started while at avid, after that the crew was pulled off to work in maya.
new team old team user base supporting the developer ,. what ever
the high price of the subscription has to come into at some point. ?
seriously Messiah update is bigger then Softimage and that cost $65..? and it's form a one man developer ( I think )
I Don't have to pay to use the same version next year,.
so why pay to $1000 for less then what I get if spend 30 mins searching Google for free plugins ?
the exec's at Autodesk must be making this joke...
so a 2013 feature list that's
a 2014 feature list that's
a new logo
all costing users over 2000 Euro + each..
disappointment on users faces .. Priceless.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
-
AlexanderM
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 15:13
Re: Softimage 2014
Б-8В20А rocket weaponBullit wrote: There is a big military gaffe in the HQV video. It is not a Gatling gun but a Rocket launcher pod![]()
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Softimage 2014
SreckoM wrote:^^^ LOL
Double LOL.bottleofram wrote:
Of course the irony here is that, we all know the story and what happens to the Ugly Duckling?
-
Yanik
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 15 Aug 2012, 19:16
Re: Softimage 2014
Ducks have an average life expectancy of 8 years or less. So it probably is dead nowBellsey wrote: Of course the irony here is that, we all know the story and what happens to the Ugly Duckling?
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: Softimage 2014
But Swans live longer.Yanik wrote:Ducks have an average life expectancy of 8 years or less. So it probably is dead nowBellsey wrote: Of course the irony here is that, we all know the story and what happens to the Ugly Duckling?.
-
t4d
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 06 May 2012, 02:26
Re: Softimage 2014
but also get shot by hunters who need to have more then one duck.Bellsey wrote:But Swans live longer.Yanik wrote:Ducks have an average life expectancy of 8 years or less. So it probably is dead nowBellsey wrote: Of course the irony here is that, we all know the story and what happens to the Ugly Duckling?.
-
Yanik
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 15 Aug 2012, 19:16
Re: Softimage 2014
Ah it was a swan! Thank god, now we'll have a few more precious years before it dies.Bellsey wrote:But Swans live longer.Yanik wrote:Ducks have an average life expectancy of 8 years or less. So it probably is dead nowBellsey wrote: Of course the irony here is that, we all know the story and what happens to the Ugly Duckling?.
Ontopic:
What can you do with the new primitive API? Is it for mesh objects generation only or can you create your own custom objects(curves, pointclouds, helpers)?
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage 2014
Quoting Ahmidou.xsi from the list:Yanik wrote: What can you do with the new primitive API? Is it for mesh objects generation only or can you create your own custom objects(curves, pointclouds, helpers)?
It's a c++ plugin in which you draw openGL like the custom tools, but it's hosted by an object. You also have a callback to define what to do when concerting to real geometry.
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: Softimage 2014
The new logo is HORRIBLE!!!!
The new site is cool, instead. But again, deliberately the didn't put the Softimage name under the dropdown menu.
Edit :
The 5 videos don't show so much. Even the crowd FX that had more developing in this release.
The HQV?....Mmm.... mmm... MM?....MH!!....
The new site is cool, instead. But again, deliberately the didn't put the Softimage name under the dropdown menu.
Edit :
The 5 videos don't show so much. Even the crowd FX that had more developing in this release.
The HQV?....Mmm.... mmm... MM?....MH!!....
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Softimage 2014
t4d,
I wished you could put all your anger and disappointment into something useful like a plug in or an ice compound which could make a difference and some of us happy. As much as I'm disappointed myself the ongoing moaning of yours starts to become a burden in this forum.
Listening to you one starts to believe that SI actually became worse with the new release than it has been before. As much as a new feature would make us all happy and give us the impression that AD is caring for us and SI, is there anything currently you can't do with SI?
I guess we still got one of the most reliable work horses out there ... And if the horse does all the work, I don't bother when it doesn't come in pink.
Cheers
I wished you could put all your anger and disappointment into something useful like a plug in or an ice compound which could make a difference and some of us happy. As much as I'm disappointed myself the ongoing moaning of yours starts to become a burden in this forum.
Listening to you one starts to believe that SI actually became worse with the new release than it has been before. As much as a new feature would make us all happy and give us the impression that AD is caring for us and SI, is there anything currently you can't do with SI?
I guess we still got one of the most reliable work horses out there ... And if the horse does all the work, I don't bother when it doesn't come in pink.
Cheers
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage 2014
To all it may concern (so: expressly not solely directed at Pancho):
While everyone is entitled to an opinion (and t4d does have a "strong" presence ATM, but he is NOT the only one), what becomes a "burden on this forum" is for the team ("we're trained professionals") to decide. I think, generally, we should allow for a lot more "moaning" at this point especially as I don't see many people rejoicing over the new release just yet. New releases always bring out a lot of emotions and harsh statements. In the spirit of "release time" I am willing to accept a lot, maybe you all should put up with a little more than usual also.
Don't worry: I am reading all these posts. I will intervene if and when I find it necessary!
While everyone is entitled to an opinion (and t4d does have a "strong" presence ATM, but he is NOT the only one), what becomes a "burden on this forum" is for the team ("we're trained professionals") to decide. I think, generally, we should allow for a lot more "moaning" at this point especially as I don't see many people rejoicing over the new release just yet. New releases always bring out a lot of emotions and harsh statements. In the spirit of "release time" I am willing to accept a lot, maybe you all should put up with a little more than usual also.
Don't worry: I am reading all these posts. I will intervene if and when I find it necessary!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Softimage 2014
It is not so much problem current state of Softimage. As stated it IS currently best horse out there and I would bet on him anytime over anything else.
Problem is extrapolation of path that SI is on and treatment it is getting from AD. Even best horse will die after starvation and that is what is making all this fuss...
Don't let our horse die
Problem is extrapolation of path that SI is on and treatment it is getting from AD. Even best horse will die after starvation and that is what is making all this fuss...
Don't let our horse die
