New baEssential Shader version

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Cloud SceneAuthor: Rob Chapman
[..] you will obviously need the latest version of Holger's BA_essentials shader pack installed. Here is a render of this scene as well. think the fractal speed is too fast and the lookup table cell size could be lowered to reduce flicker but its just a simple setup to test the new feature of 'World drag'.

Mentioned render: here.

local backup: simplecloud_enhanced_plus.scn

New plugins, tools etc.
User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by Kerro Perro » 14 Dec 2012, 14:11

Thanks a lot Tekano! I will share and it is for animation but i tend to avoid FG as much as possible. Won't be getting around to it soon as am in the modelling stage (will of course play with you your scene inbetween ;) ) but clouds are most definitely on my agenda so i will get to it.

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by mattmos » 14 Dec 2012, 14:29

Cheers Rob! Will be sure to take a look soon and learn from the cloudmaster :-bd

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by ActionArt » 15 Dec 2012, 16:52

Hey Rob, it seems to get final gather to work you have to activate "Get input normal for FG" in the volume shader settings.

It will take some adjustment to make it look good. Great method for trimming the bottom of the cloud! I've been struggling with that for a long time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by ActionArt » 15 Dec 2012, 17:06

Here's a couple quick samples with no changes to the scene except FG. First one, with FG. Second FG off. Obviously lighting needs adjustment but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by Tekano » 17 Dec 2012, 15:53

Ah Yeah I should have said. I could get FG to work - as long as I turned on 'exact' mode. all the other modes didnt contribute any light - they were always the same render as without FG. and when exact was turned on I could not get the color of the ground plane NOT to completely overtake the lighting of the cloud. ie in this case its green. make the ground plane red - entire cloud gets red. ideally I would like the FG to work but only affect the cloud in a more realistic way. Ie bounce from the sky and bounce from the ground contribute together more subtle than what it currently is - the ground bounce completely over saturates the entire cloud!

cheers!
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by izze » 12 Mar 2013, 16:04

Hopefully someone can help me here. I seem to be getting some sort of NAN error on my renders. I get more errors when weaker machines render the same scene. But my memory never maxes out. Any thoughts?

Image

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by gustavoeb » 12 Mar 2013, 16:16

cant help, but I can say your clouds look awesome! really nailed that look man!
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Mar 2013, 17:46

izze wrote:Hopefully someone can help me here. I seem to be getting some sort of NAN error on my renders. I get more errors when weaker machines render the same scene. But my memory never maxes out. Any thoughts?
Maybe... it could help to add some node to clamp the colors, after output of BA Volume. Something like color_math_basic , set to maximum. Maximum could be plain black of just little bit more. Or, dedicated 'clamp' from BA pack. I mean, it definitively doesn't looks like NaN, more like some wrong interpreted switch (because some floating point error), so color goes into negative. I might be completely wrong, anyway.

Great looking clouds, anyway.

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by izze » 12 Mar 2013, 18:34

hmmm. I will give that a try. Thanks for the direction Mathaeus.

gustavoeb, thanks!

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by gustavoeb » 12 Mar 2013, 18:38

one more thing, would you mind showing us your particle positioning? pretty please :)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by izze » 12 Mar 2013, 18:51

Yeah sure. I'm emitting points from a grid that has turbulize mesh on it. Then using those points to populate a empty polymesh with spheres. Then emitting the clouds from those spheres. I need to modulate the scale of the spheres so the clouds don't end up like cotton balls. Still in look dev so very WIP.

Image

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by izze » 12 Mar 2013, 18:55

Thanks Holger and Tekano for getting me started !

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by Bullit » 12 Mar 2013, 21:46

That looks great. At least the frame.

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by Tekano » 13 Mar 2013, 09:23

nice work Izze, the red boxes normally indicate a memory problem - ie you ran out. something that large though I would mostly try and break up into FG / mid / BG that way you can adjust the cell sizes for each section.

also maybe there is overlapping volumes or something at the point that did not render as you would normally get a red box over the entire cloud
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: New baEssential Shader version

Post by izze » 13 Mar 2013, 15:39

Yeah, looks like a mem problem. Found this warning:

# WARNING : PHEN 0.4 25 MB warn : BA_Volume: Memory usage of all 1 BA_Volumes: 9762.3 MB

Trying to split up my sky into sections now.