I just jumped on the Nuke train. Not caring about industry standards is one thing and as much as I like to support "underdogs" I don't want to go through a second Waterloo like with SI too quickly. Fusion, while being a big player, will for sure walk in the shadow of Nuke for a long time. Not in terms of quality, but marketing. The point is, can it survive there?
So far Nuke (not X yet) seems to be quite nice and I can do the stuff I did have in mind easily. Currently that's not fancyful stuff and I'm sure this can be done with Fusion easily, too. But in terms of workflow it's easier to get a helping hand which is familiar with Nuke, rather than Fusion. But maybe you get more bang for the bucks right now with Fusion.
Cheers
Thomas
Fusion & Nuke
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Fusion & Nuke
Whilst it doesn't seem the sure fire solid bet that Nuke is, I would be more worried if Blackmagic hadn't just bought them out.Pancho wrote:I just jumped on the Nuke train. Not caring about industry standards is one thing and as much as I like to support "underdogs" I don't want to go through a second Waterloo like with SI too quickly. Fusion, while being a big player, will for sure walk in the shadow of Nuke for a long time. Not in terms of quality, but marketing. The point is, can it survive there?
Cheers
Thomas
I know what people say about buyouts being a bad thing, but Blackmagic seem to be doing it because they WANT a high end compositing software, rather than it being about some AD style market-control strategy.
I would have thought that what's gone before as far as Eyeon marketing goes, is going to bear little resemblence to Blackmagic's ongoing marketing plan for Fusion.
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Fusion & Nuke
From what I've learned in the past buyouts are usually about getting patents and the technology behind things. Only in a few cases somebody really did have a vision and wanted to push the acquired company/product to become successful. I do hope for everybody that Blackmagic wants to compete with Nuke, rather than close the box.
After all, I wouldn't be surprised if a company with such a name wouldn't be into grave digging .... : )
After all, I wouldn't be surprised if a company with such a name wouldn't be into grave digging .... : )
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Fusion & Nuke
lol.
I think in this case its that having a compositor makes sense to fill a gap in their line up of existing tools. Rather than say, already owning a competing software that would benefit from Fusion's tech.
Mind you, I tried to be optimistic when AD bought Softimage, and look how that turned out, so maybe I'm not the best judge.
I think in this case its that having a compositor makes sense to fill a gap in their line up of existing tools. Rather than say, already owning a competing software that would benefit from Fusion's tech.
Mind you, I tried to be optimistic when AD bought Softimage, and look how that turned out, so maybe I'm not the best judge.
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Fusion & Nuke
From the point of "NOW" neither package will be mistake. But as we all know, "The future is bright!". Blind me!
-
Paulrus
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41
Re: Fusion & Nuke
I've used Fusion since the late 1990's, so I'm a bit biased. I think if you want to find compositing jobs, Nuke is the way to go. Nuke is to compositing what Maya is to animation - ugly & difficult, but it's the standard.
Fusion is great if you're a small shop or freelancer IMHO.
Black Magic took DaVinci Resolve and stripped out the control system and started selling it for $995. I'm hoping they build something that's a competitor to Nuke Studio using Fusion.
Fusion is great if you're a small shop or freelancer IMHO.
Black Magic took DaVinci Resolve and stripped out the control system and started selling it for $995. I'm hoping they build something that's a competitor to Nuke Studio using Fusion.
-
mixepix
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 13:17
- Location: Sweden
Re: Fusion & Nuke
The new pricing is here. There is even a free version. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Fusion & Nuke
Yeah that makes the decision a no brainer. I'd have happily paid full price.
Free version with no commercial restrictions! Interesting to see if the foundry will reassess their comparatively overpriced products, or just sit on their 'industry standard' laurels.
Free version with no commercial restrictions! Interesting to see if the foundry will reassess their comparatively overpriced products, or just sit on their 'industry standard' laurels.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Fusion & Nuke
Pooby wrote:Yeah that makes the decision a no brainer. I'd have happily paid full price.
Free version with no commercial restrictions! Interesting to see if the foundry will reassess their comparatively overpriced products, or just sit on their 'industry standard' laurels.
Have you seen their PLE version? It's simply ridiculous! I'll use Fusion and call it a day.
-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Fusion & Nuke
995 dollars for the full version, 9240 for nuke studio?!
A couple years ago fusion was like 5000...
I would miss the 3th party plugins (like krokodove) in the free version though.
I work with fusion since the nineties, never tried nuke so I can't compare, I wonder what the foundry's answer will be.
If you like blender, fusion, krita and davinci, no more need to buy software anymore...
A couple years ago fusion was like 5000...
I would miss the 3th party plugins (like krokodove) in the free version though.
I work with fusion since the nineties, never tried nuke so I can't compare, I wonder what the foundry's answer will be.
If you like blender, fusion, krita and davinci, no more need to buy software anymore...
-
Nox
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28
Re: Fusion & Nuke
I think plugins like krokodove should work, only OFX plugins are restricted.