is lagoa dead?

News concerning 3D DCC business
iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by iamVFX » 02 Apr 2013, 19:18

Chinny wrote:I left Autodesk last year
What a twist!

When the new lagoa will do physics simulations?

Now seriously, why Thiago switched to rendering?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Apr 2013, 08:26

@Chinny - So what happened to TeamUp, which was AFAIK the original company name under which this new product was being presented? As a company/brand name I like Lagoa better, BTW, but I am seriously wondering what made you people decide to change names so late in the game (the name was still TeamUp when I got an invite to join the beta early last month).

PS - If you really want to plug the new product (shamelessly or otherwise),
opening a new separate thread might be a good idea.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Chinny
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Apr 2010, 19:10

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by Chinny » 04 Apr 2013, 15:53

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Chinny - So what happened to TeamUp, which was AFAIK the original company name under which this new product was being presented? ....

PS - If you really want to plug the new product (shamelessly or otherwise),
opening a new separate thread might be a good idea.
We felt TeamUp was a good name for the company, but not as good for the product. Thiago is well known for Lagoa, and we had the opportunity to change it so we did. We all like it better too ;-)

Oh and thanks for the tip, the next time we have an announcement we will start a new thread.

Chinny

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Apr 2013, 17:47

Hi Chinny

I see there are a few calls for some clarification regarding the legalese on the t's and c's. Not sure if I saw it here or on the mailing list.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by dwigfor » 04 Apr 2013, 18:06

Missed hearing your voice on the SI 2014 videos, Chinney.

I met up with Thiago @ his Siggraph party. It's great to see things are progressing nicely. I do like the name Lagoa, but the Portugese translation doesn't seem to apply to this as much..... :-\ I vote for something like BelaVista!

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by gustavoeb » 04 Apr 2013, 19:13

Chinny wrote:Autodesk have the rights to continue Lagoa MultiPhysics
intersting... when I logged Lagoa (MP for short) bugs I was told they would have to contact the third party developer.

Anyways, nice to hear your voice on videos again Chinny :D
Best luck to you guys, it looks like some amazing tech!
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Chinny
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Apr 2010, 19:10

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by Chinny » 05 Apr 2013, 16:48

angus_davidson wrote:Hi Chinny

I see there are a few calls for some clarification regarding the legalese on the t's and c's. Not sure if I saw it here or on the mailing list.

Hi

Thiago sent a mail to the list clarifying this
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/xsi_lis ... q_RNtqpeEJ

Cheers

Chinny

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by luceric » 06 Apr 2013, 12:12

Chinny wrote:We felt TeamUp was a good name for the company, but not as good for the product. Thiago is well known for Lagoa, and we had the opportunity to change it so we did. We all like it better too ;-)
I would have gone for Zombocom myself

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by iamVFX » 08 Apr 2013, 18:17

Meanwhile in the world of physics simulations (Grant Kot, one of the (is he?) creators of ICE SPH solver, which later has been known as Lagoa MultiPhysics)


Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: is lagoa dead?

Post by Bullit » 08 Apr 2013, 18:52

That fluid sim look gorgeous but 1h30min is probable too much unless the less defined versions respect more or less the behavior we see here.