flickerfree final gathering examples

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: flickerfree final gathering examples

Post by Kzin » 09 Jul 2012, 11:50

julius wrote:I get an overall big amount of flickering, but more important in the room's angles.
Also, I did'nt used portal lights.
For your other questions, I think the best is to share the test scene

Thanks
without portal lights its hard to get a stable solution without to use insanely high settings.
portal lights do 2 things, they bring in direct light, which is important for fg, because its best for fg to have direct light in.
and portal lights tell the fg environment rays where they should concentrate more.
i recommend to use protal lights for interior because they save alot of fg computation, makes fg solution more stable, illuminating the room with the envcolor and also creates nice soft shadows.

julius
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56

Re: flickerfree final gathering examples

Post by julius » 09 Jul 2012, 12:54

ok, I'm giving it a try with portal lights, but there is no flick anymore, without FG shooter ! :))

I have to complicate my test scene, or may be just put lower FG settings to make flickering appear.

Thanks

julius
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56

Re: flickerfree final gathering examples

Post by julius » 10 Jul 2012, 07:28

ok, after some changes, I got good results with FG shooter. That's pretty nice ! I succeed on render an interior animated scene without flickering, with only 50 FG rays !
Thanks for the tip :-bd

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: flickerfree final gathering examples

Post by Kzin » 11 Jul 2012, 07:37

thats nice.
i wish we could use ibl correctly in xsi, would raise the quality way up compared to portal lights because of more correct envlighting.
i will do some tests with user_rect, how to setup them without to much pain in hdr cropping.

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: flickerfree final gathering examples

Post by Kzin » 07 Sep 2012, 07:12

ok folks, prepare to throw tomatos on me.
short line, the fg shooter i used in my test in this thread was not working!!!

this is good and bad. good because you can see that its possible to render flickerfree fg without the help of something like fg shooter. but also bad because you cant bake fg in a simple way in xsi at the moment. i tryed the mx_fg shooter tool, but without any success. it was a short time test because i had no time for the current project so will take a closer look after my holidays.
sorry for all the noise. ;)