SSS2 Compound

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

SSS2 CompoundsAuthor: Reinhard Claus
Conversion of the SkinSSS and SimpleSSS compounds using the new Mental Ray 3.10 fastSSS2 shader. This shader renders more realistic looking imagery by allowing a different radius to be set for each of the red, green and blue components, simulating wavelength dependency.

Usage: Drag and drop the SkinSSS2 or the SimpleSSS2 node into the render tree, connect its »Surface« and »Lightmap« outputs to the main material, pick »User Tools->Create SSS Lightmap«, connect the new lightmap to SSS2's Lightmap input. More information can be found in the si-community thread, including some great looking test renders by Kzin.

local backup: SkinSSS2.xsirtcompound SimpleSSS2.xsirtcompound

New plugins, tools etc.
User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by rray » 30 May 2012, 17:48

Hey those are nice renders :-bd

I updated 1st post with a new version of SkinSSS2 and added the SimpleSSS2 compound

Kzin, diffuse having control over SSS was actually done by mistake. Although it obviously works out really fine, I repaired that in the new version because it's somewhat unexpected and some tuning control is lost. It's possible however to get the exact previous behavior by connecting the diffuse texture to both "Diffuse" and "Diffuse+SSS Multiplier" together - this is at least how it was wired by accident in the first version.

Old version still available here

Some other changes in the new version:
* Rendertree connectors/layout fixed, exposed "scale" for texturing and added Sampling Radius Mulitplier
* Tidied PPGs a little
* SkinSSS2 Compound has default values from Kzin's post above
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by Kzin » 31 May 2012, 07:55

rray wrote:Hey those are nice renders :-bd

I updated 1st post with a new version of SkinSSS2 and added the SimpleSSS2 compound

Kzin, diffuse having control over SSS was actually done by mistake. Although it obviously works out really fine, I repaired that in the new version because it's somewhat unexpected and some tuning control is lost. It's possible however to get the exact previous behavior by connecting the diffuse texture to both "Diffuse" and "Diffuse+SSS Multiplier" together - this is at least how it was wired by accident in the first version.

Old version still available here

Some other changes in the new version:
* Rendertree connectors/layout fixed, exposed "scale" for texturing and added Sampling Radius Mulitplier
* Tidied PPGs a little
* SkinSSS2 Compound has default values from Kzin's post above

thx, will test the new one as soon as possible.

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by Kzin » 01 Jun 2012, 06:36

first fast test with the new compound.
you have more control now thru the sampling radius multiplier, have to do more tests with it.

Image

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by rray » 01 Jun 2012, 20:51

Looks so good I'm considering shaving my eyelashes :o)

Here's a test I did with photon (lit with caustics only)

Image
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

fjg
Posts: 45
Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 16:45

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by fjg » 02 Jun 2012, 19:21

I'm curious about your lighting setups - seems like Mental Ray renders very dark unless I put an exposure
node on the camera, regardless of soft, ibl, or whatever. Without exposure on camera, when using
a spot (with attenuation, which I know will diminish the power), I generally have to turn up the
intensity to 200-1000 - just curious if this is normal. My models are all relatively to scale (10cm/unit).

Great renders - the updated sss seems much more powerful. One other question - is diffuse+SSS like an
additional 'scale' value?

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by rray » 02 Jun 2012, 20:58

@ second question: Yes, it's a multiplier or tint for the SSS and diffuse components. It is named "overall multiplier" in the original SkinSSS, I though I'd rename it so it's more clear that it doesn't affect anything else.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: SSS2 Compound

Post by Kzin » 02 Jun 2012, 22:29

fjg wrote:I'm curious about your lighting setups - seems like Mental Ray renders very dark unless I put an exposure
node on the camera, regardless of soft, ibl, or whatever. Without exposure on camera, when using
a spot (with attenuation, which I know will diminish the power), I generally have to turn up the
intensity to 200-1000 - just curious if this is normal. My models are all relatively to scale (10cm/unit).
its ok, i had values of 6000 or higher for physical lights, but i render without exposure shader the most time. physical values are completely different to light without falloff and intensitys of one like in old school setups. physical sky shader for example and sun intensity values of 100 for ibl are normal settings.