Houdini 12

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Inisheer
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 04:31
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Inisheer » 02 Mar 2012, 00:33

nourvfx wrote:taitanik
lol


But seriously, that video looked great (except for the very scripted dialog by the speakers). Although, every promo video looks good on top of the line hardware and post production. Nevertheless, that smoke and water was killer.

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Memag » 02 Mar 2012, 02:21

nourvfx wrote: show me if you have .now softimage is Worst program in vfx.what films make with softimage .300.narnia.or taitanik in 1998.or matrix.So???????????? X( X( X( X( X( X(
I think Softimage was used in Jurassic Parking.

Image

Houdini 12 looks stunning for a FX population, but how are the animation and modeling tools doing?

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Houdini 12

Post by benoit81 » 02 Mar 2012, 07:50

I've made a lot of criticisms about Softimage, but I can not say that Autodesk developers do not work on it ! I complain, but when I have to work on another package, I'm very happy to come back to Softimage. Things are more logical for me in Softimage. For a freelance or a small studio (like me we only own 2 copies), Softimage is maybe not the best package, but when I ask a developer to code me a tool in Softimage it's very efficient (I'm not sure if any other package offer such a wide range of languages : vb,js, py, ice, c++, sdk, shaders...). When I see what a single person can do with it : QuickInset, quickprimitive, it's very promising.
I do not think that Softimage is out of date in the VFX area, it's the opposite ! Very creative tools.
The future of Softimage is of course due to Autodesk, but not only ! I'm very enthusiast about 3rd party tools : see what Exocortex develop, in the field of rendering the things are changing also : Vray, 3Delight, Maxwell, soon : Arion, Octane, Indigo...

So even if Softimage team does not always develop the tools that I need, I'm very happy with it !

User avatar
ace63
Posts: 176
Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30

Re: Houdini 12

Post by ace63 » 02 Mar 2012, 08:46

Great now he starts insulting me through pms :ymbringiton:

@ Bellsey I understand you are not allowed to make any announcements or in this matter say anything at all.
It was just that the announcements took place at GDC the last few years so I was just guessing ;)

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Houdini 12

Post by owei » 02 Mar 2012, 09:07

BACK TO TOPIC, everyone, please! It became quite usual in the last couple of days that threads became off-topic quite fast. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC. If other discussion come up, feel free to open a new thread! THANKS!

Back to topic:

Wow, yes this video looks amazing and the features also do. Fully multi threaded throughout the whole package will be a big step forward (was about time, as much as I know ;) ) It really underlines Houdini´s strength in visual effects, simulation and procedural content creation.

cheers,
oli

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Houdini 12

Post by bottleofram » 02 Mar 2012, 09:29

Looks great but the video gave me a bad case of "DSLR videomaking artflu" - all with teleprompter reading, strange angles, focus shifts and a coffee mug. :-j

Im not familiar with houdini, but i know it was on a slow side. They say there its now "multithreaded throughout the whole package". Thats big. Especially if it means exactly what is says - not just threading this and that, here and there...

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Houdini 12

Post by McNistor » 02 Mar 2012, 09:37

I once installed Houdini and the first thing that came to my mind was War - Why can't we be friends.
Amazing features tho.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Houdini 12

Post by owei » 02 Mar 2012, 10:00

@bottleofram
...your point about the video might be correct. But personally it feels good to see the people behind the software. It gives a face and some kind of character to the technology instead of just showing screen captures. I like this kind of approach as an introduction. Further videos could handle the tech-stuff in good old screen capture manner.

@McNistor
Yes, same feelings here. I always wonder how people can get those amazing things out of it....same feelings concerning Max and Maya, though. Installed, tried to do something, failed, uninstalled ;)

cheers,
oli

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 10:18

Don't say nothing about Houdini VFX skills, I think the image and stunning video talk better.
But modelling in Houdini is a nightmare... also, animation and rigging is a real pain for me. A bit better rendering, but sure, not friendly at all.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Houdini 12

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 13:52

But modelling in Houdini is a nightmare...
At the begging I had same feeling, but after some practice I will dare to say that is one of the best modeler I worked with.
Concept is different and when you get rid of previous concept ... everything is so smooth ..
- H -

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 13:57

Can you doing some example?

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Houdini 12

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 14:37

Yeah, I am doing some tutorials, modeling various stuff while practicing. That is in my free time (rare) so I am not going to promise anything, but I will have something soon.
- H -

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 14:52

Ops, not so much :D
Thank you very much, but I don't want you spend your free time for my curiosity. I mean if you can argument a bit modelling in Houdini, describing some example.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Houdini 12

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 15:15

I find Houdini good or at least almost good, as XSI ...

I like that with Houdini you can make mistakes a lot :D And than go back and make changes, and everything will be propagated to final model.
You can back at the beginning, first point if needed. Much deeper than you can with XSI at the moment.
Also whatever I create I do that so I can create variation from it in future. Maybe it is slow for first model, but later ... For example this is what I made, several days ago.
http://screencast.com/t/suPXAMeYiY
http://screencast.com/t/1fvcd7FUmI

I know that someone can do this in XSI too, but I could not.
- H -

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Houdini 12

Post by Memag » 02 Mar 2012, 15:25

NIce!
How about non procedural approach, tools for organic/character modeling?
Are those interactive and easy to master or everything goes through nodes as well?
Thanks!

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Houdini 12

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 15:30

Everything is nodes, but you can model just using shelf buttons, and it is, basically, same as every other app.
I am not that good in organic modeling so maybe I am not competent, but it has every tool you need. So it is up to artist I would say. Any specific tools. or features you need?
- H -