Softimage Boolean Functions

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by azurecgi » 29 Feb 2012, 07:49

BenR wrote:A while ago I wrapped the Carve CSG library in a custom ICE node. It wasn't too hard. It did seem to work better than the SI booleans (which kept giving me a "couldn't cope" error on the project I was doing). Maybe I should dig it out and update it to see if others find it useful. Also I just read that Carve is in the newest builds of Blender so it could be tried there.
Ben
I'd love to give it a go :)

On the down-side, aren't ImplosiaFX's boolean tools based on the same library? If so, I've already tried that with the same result i.e. a wait soooooo long that I'm not sure if it will eventually get there or if Softimage has frozen!

fabilabo
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 12:13

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by fabilabo » 29 Feb 2012, 08:29

Then you can switch LW for this task, i do the move from LW too and its really the only thing i eared that you making life easier !
Good to know beacause i have LW too ;) But i really though that SI booleean was good, if i remember they already have an optimisation into, 2011 or 2012, what version are you using ?

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by azurecgi » 29 Feb 2012, 09:21

fabilabo wrote:Then you can switch LW for this task, i do the move from LW too and its really the only thing i eared that you making life easier !
Good to know beacause i have LW too ;) But i really though that SI booleean was good, if i remember they already have an optimisation into, 2011 or 2012, what version are you using ?
I'm using the very latest version, 2012 SAP!

Oh well, I suppose we'll just have to wait and hope that SI's modelling tools will be improved in future versions!

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by BenR » 29 Feb 2012, 09:55

azurecgi wrote:
BenR wrote:A while ago I wrapped the Carve CSG library in a custom ICE node. It wasn't too hard. It did seem to work better than the SI booleans (which kept giving me a "couldn't cope" error on the project I was doing). Maybe I should dig it out and update it to see if others find it useful. Also I just read that Carve is in the newest builds of Blender so it could be tried there.
Ben
I'd love to give it a go :)

On the down-side, aren't ImplosiaFX's boolean tools based on the same library? If so, I've already tried that with the same result i.e. a wait soooooo long that I'm not sure if it will eventually get there or if Softimage has frozen!
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I checked and you are right about ImplosiaFX. That surprised me a little, but now I won't bother releasing the one I made.

Ben

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by origin » 29 Feb 2012, 09:58

ben, the more tools we have the better

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by BenR » 29 Feb 2012, 15:03

origin wrote:ben, the more tools we have the better
Well, it would probably work exactly the same for booleans since all it does is wrap the Carve library (except I suppose for any new bug fixes in Carve since Implosia was released).

Ben

User avatar
Mr.Core
Posts: 148
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 10:35
Skype: giga-core
Location: Kharkov, Ukraine

Re: Softimage Boolean Functions

Post by Mr.Core » 29 Feb 2012, 20:43

We are using latest build ( 1.4 ) for ImplosiaFX. The described problem related to fundamental principles of the booleans. All geometries must be closed since boolean logic based on the closed sets, in our case - on closed volumes. That fact that LW supports this feature - it is just a great addition, but not native boolean feature, so CarveCSG ( and most of CSG engines ) simply doesnt provide additional toolsets because it's sort of "offtopic".
Regard to problem itself - I think its possible to solve through the factory node "slice polygon", the only one thing that we need to fix after that - restore original normals.