Siggraph 2011

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Memag » 09 Aug 2011, 14:56

I don't know about OpenCL™ Industry Standard, but T-rex alone is awesome update!
Then there is lizard and fish in proper scale!
Does Maya have fish in proper scale? Didn't think so.
I rest my case.

User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 09 Aug 2011, 14:58

Memag wrote:I don't know about OpenCL™ Industry Standard, but T-rex alone is awesome update!
Then there is lizard and fish in proper scale!
Does Maya have fish in proper scale? Didn't think so.
I rest my case.
Hilarious! :)) :))

You know, you're absolutely right. Now I can do that Jurassic Park remake I've been dreaming about.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by luceric » 09 Aug 2011, 15:06

Our bullet uses CUDA

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Aug 2011, 15:10

luceric wrote:Our bullet uses CUDA
Just like PhysX apparently (edit: meant to say "allegedly"... :ymblushing: ) does? ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by owei » 09 Aug 2011, 15:31

...yes..the T-Rex alone is definitely worth the 650 Euro I´ve spent on subscription \:D/

..I couldn´t resist, sorry. Don´t want to be ungrateful, but this "AP" does not blow me away...

best,
oliver

PS:
Yeah, did I mention this: AD does not support our UeberTage usermeeting this year...

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by ActionArt » 09 Aug 2011, 15:36

luceric wrote:Our bullet uses CUDA
Awesome! Now that will be nice!

Jesse
Posts: 30
Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 19:51

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Jesse » 09 Aug 2011, 15:41

ADD SMOOTH EDGE LOOP!!! YEAH!

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by mattmos » 09 Aug 2011, 15:56

owei wrote: PS:
Yeah, did I mention this: AD does not support our UeberTage usermeeting this year...
Really? That's a bit mean of them, considering you're providing some much needed PR for their software. Its a shame as when it was Avid owned, the support for the London User Group was great, they really did value it.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by origin » 09 Aug 2011, 16:01

please include source code of new split edge... B-)

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by owei » 09 Aug 2011, 16:02

mattmos wrote:
owei wrote: PS:
Yeah, did I mention this: AD does not support our UeberTage usermeeting this year...
Really? That's a bit mean of them, considering you're providing some much needed PR for their software. Its a shame as when it was Avid owned, the support for the London User Group was great, they really did value it.
...they supported us the last two years and valued it, but not this year...I think they have cut down all sponsor activities...not only UeberTage. Politics of a monopolist..don´t think about it, just smile :D

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Memag » 09 Aug 2011, 16:56

owei wrote:...yes..the T-Rex alone is definitely worth the 650 Euro I´ve spent on subscription \:D/
Alright, but the fish is endangered gold fish species, and that alone raises subscription value.
And the lizard is famous actor from Rango trailer ( "you better run mojito").
You also get a "blend in" compound for the lizard.


Sorry, that is not true.

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by dwigfor » 09 Aug 2011, 17:36

Hirazi Blue wrote:
luceric wrote:Our bullet uses CUDA
Just like PhysX apparently (edit: meant to say "allegedly"... :ymblushing: ) does? ;)
That's what I was thinking....
Strike 1: Original RBD uses Physx Expansion Board
Strike 2: ICE PhysX RBD uses CUDA
Strike 3? Bullet uses CUDA......

I just realized that if Maya's Bullet implementation was CUDA, there'd be a whole lot of angry Mac users!

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Chris_TC » 09 Aug 2011, 18:54

luceric wrote:Our bullet uses CUDA
Wait, what? Is that even possible?

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Bellsey » 09 Aug 2011, 18:55

owei wrote:
mattmos wrote:
owei wrote: PS:
Yeah, did I mention this: AD does not support our UeberTage usermeeting this year...
Really? That's a bit mean of them, considering you're providing some much needed PR for their software. Its a shame as when it was Avid owned, the support for the London User Group was great, they really did value it.
...they supported us the last two years and valued it, but not this year...I think they have cut down all sponsor activities...not only UeberTage. Politics of a monopolist..don´t think about it, just smile :D

Ok, who have you been, or were, in contact with at Autodesk? If you can contact me privately on here and I can look into it and find out what happened. Money might have come into it, then again it might not.

The London user group was good while it lasted, but sadly it didn't die because of Avid/Autodesk/Whoever. It mainly came down to the people who ran and managed it not having enough time to do it, along side their normal day jobs.
There is a London Max users group that has managed to keep going, but the guy who runs it has worked hard to keep it going.

Personally I would really like a Softimage and Maya users group for London, although at the moment we'd probably be showing self-defence lessons. :)
Joking aside, there has been attempts to get things going with Autodesk 'help', but nothing has ever stuck. If anyone has any ideas for London, I'd be happy to hear them.

User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 09 Aug 2011, 19:02

Chris_TC wrote:
luceric wrote:Our bullet uses CUDA
Wait, what? Is that even possible?
Yeah, I believe the first GPU Bullet was targeted for CUDA. I believe right around the time they released that standalone simulator that accepts .bullet files.

CUDA is easier to code/debug versus OpenCl because it's platform specific where as OpenCl is a hardware slut.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Rez007 » 09 Aug 2011, 20:04

I am really liking what I am seeing. Great job on the addition of the new modeling tools!

Mark's presentation was also very cool! The MoCap with Kinect seemed very easy.

Great job overall.