LEGOification in ICE
-
edschiffer
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 11 May 2011, 15:02
- Location: Rio de Janeiro
Re: LEGOification in ICE
hey origin,
big thanks for the Compound. it is a big help, but it still jitters as you move the geometry or the pointcloud. I'm after making one where the bricks would always stay in place - they would only appear or disappear if inside of the geometry or not...
hey Claude,
it's still a big hard for me using modulos. I'm exploding the "Generate 3d Point Grid" and trying to adjust it to generate from a center position, and add points in a given interval. At the moment I add the points, then test if it's ouside the geometry to delete it. I'll try your approach. thx!
big thanks for the Compound. it is a big help, but it still jitters as you move the geometry or the pointcloud. I'm after making one where the bricks would always stay in place - they would only appear or disappear if inside of the geometry or not...
hey Claude,
it's still a big hard for me using modulos. I'm exploding the "Generate 3d Point Grid" and trying to adjust it to generate from a center position, and add points in a given interval. At the moment I add the points, then test if it's ouside the geometry to delete it. I'll try your approach. thx!
-
edschiffer
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 11 May 2011, 15:02
- Location: Rio de Janeiro
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Hi again
I just made a video showing how's my compound right now:
I just made a video showing how's my compound right now:
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: LEGOification in ICE
nice one!!!!
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Ah Summer time! Finally got some extra time to keep working on the lego-ification. I tried now a more complex shape to see how the logic is holding on. I've also added logic to look up the color from a texture map.
So the good thing is that it does create a 'plausible' assembly of bricks (2x1 and 1x1). The bad thing is that it takes forever to compute... ~10 minutes. I think the high overhead is due to set in array which I am lead to believe is resulting in an array copy. I could make a compound of it, but I feel it is too slow to be that useful.
Not sure what steps to take from here. I might try to python-ize the lego-ification logic of the array, see if that makes a difference.
I'll post back when I have more...
Cheers!
Claude
So the good thing is that it does create a 'plausible' assembly of bricks (2x1 and 1x1). The bad thing is that it takes forever to compute... ~10 minutes. I think the high overhead is due to set in array which I am lead to believe is resulting in an array copy. I could make a compound of it, but I feel it is too slow to be that useful.
Not sure what steps to take from here. I might try to python-ize the lego-ification logic of the array, see if that makes a difference.
I'll post back when I have more...
Cheers!
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: LEGOification in ICE
How has nobody answered? This looks totally awesome!
-
mindFreeArtist
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 12:56
- Skype: mindFreeArtist
Re: LEGOification in ICE
It looks so awesome that people even have no words to say 
Really amazing
Really amazing
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Thanks guys !!!
Yesterday I realized that you cannot do Custom ICE Node in Python, so I finally got my Visual Studio Express tweaked to compile in 64 bits and will try to put the array processing in there, see how much I gain from that. As I am on the road, it's gonna be a little while before I come back on this. As usual I'll post here.
Cheers!
Claude
Yesterday I realized that you cannot do Custom ICE Node in Python, so I finally got my Visual Studio Express tweaked to compile in 64 bits and will try to put the array processing in there, see how much I gain from that. As I am on the road, it's gonna be a little while before I come back on this. As usual I'll post here.
Cheers!
Claude
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Great stuff!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Inspiring stuff! 
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Leo
- Posts: 128
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Would you happen to be able to give somewhat of an explanation as to how you did that?claudevervoort wrote:Thanks guys !!!
Yesterday I realized that you cannot do Custom ICE Node in Python, so I finally got my Visual Studio Express tweaked to compile in 64 bits and will try to put the array processing in there, see how much I gain from that. As I am on the road, it's gonna be a little while before I come back on this. As usual I'll post here.
Cheers!
Claude
All the information I've read on it is pretty old and didn't work for me. Now this may be due to my ineptitude, but if you've found a way that works, it would be very welcome to hear it.
Moderator edit: Before this veers off topic: let me remind you both of our Programming forum to pursue this question further
or perhaps even more specifically our [cpp] 64 bit Visual C++ Express thread in that same forum... - HB
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Sorry Leo, I just followed the guidelines in the 64bit thread. I happen to run Visual Studio Express 2008, so those worked fine with me so far. I had a couple of issues around getting the bat file to run properly with amd64 parameter, turned out I had to move a bat file in VC++ into the amd64 subfolder so that it could get found (but I doubt that is related to your issue anyway): http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/sdkguide/index.html
Good luck!
Claude
Good luck!
Claude
-
Murrit
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 16:08
- Skype: arri_reschke
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Helloooo
Is there any chance you could post the legolize compound or some thing ?
thanks
Is there any chance you could post the legolize compound or some thing ?
thanks
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Funny you ask, I just finished a little video about it and uploaded the scenes so that anybody could look at them.
I finally got around to do the custom ICE node in CPP, just doing the array manipulation, and it is significantly changing the processing time. I imagine it is because all the computation is done in one node evaluation, so there are no more set data in array called a zillion times (which I think is causing a copy of the array each time, huge overhead).
I am not sure my video is that clear, so if you have any question, let me know.
Files: http://www.claudeonthe.net/si/legoification.zip
Claude
I finally got around to do the custom ICE node in CPP, just doing the array manipulation, and it is significantly changing the processing time. I imagine it is because all the computation is done in one node evaluation, so there are no more set data in array called a zillion times (which I think is causing a copy of the array each time, huge overhead).
I am not sure my video is that clear, so if you have any question, let me know.
Files: http://www.claudeonthe.net/si/legoification.zip
Claude
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Looks extremely cool! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to try it. 
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Fantastic!
Thank you Claude.
Thank you Claude.
-
Murrit
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 16:08
- Skype: arri_reschke
Re: LEGOification in ICE
Thanks sooo much, going to watch now.
thanks again
later
thanks again
later