Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jul 2011, 00:19

origin wrote:
I've fixed this flipping by using 'From custom vector' and plugging YourPointcloud.StrandNrm into UpVector slot. afaik strandnrm was set by 'Knit Strand Prepare MT_Extrusion' compound in my case...
yeah, whenever strand is parallel with NURBS surface, it seems somehow logical to use point normal as an up vector. Nice that these compounds still works, they are 2 years old :)

dominikmk
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 14:51

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by dominikmk » 05 Jul 2011, 17:45

I will try this, thx for the tricks

Ramon
Posts: 111
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 20:47

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by Ramon » 21 Jul 2011, 09:06

Thanks for compound!
1) How can get a flat mesh from strands(for grass), when NB subdivision is 1 or 2 I get a flat mesh but with duplicate edges
2) Don`t understand how get e textute projection, Auto UV not give a clusters with projection!
Thanks in advance!

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by caledonian_tartan » 25 Jul 2011, 08:33

i looked at your examples but i just don't understand how you achieved the tapering on the extruded mesh... ??? ... 3:-O (question related to first post)


EDIT: got it! it's in the modelling stack of simulation_pointcloud.
oh yeah, that's so cool!
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

caledonian_tartan
Posts: 253
Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 14:13

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by caledonian_tartan » 25 Jul 2011, 09:27

Code: Select all

1) How can get a flat mesh from strands(for grass), when NB subdivision is 1 or 2 I get a flat mesh but with duplicate edges
2) Don`t understand how get e textute projection, Auto UV not give a clusters with projection!
1) in the example he plugs a curve circle as a custum shape into the extrude compound. seems to work, although i had no luck with that...
2) on your polymesh connect "this.StrandToMesh_Texture_Projection" to "this.cls.Texture_Coordinates_AUTO.Texture_Projection.UVWs" (or whatever projection you have. you need to have one already and then overwrite the UVWs). don't know if this is the official way, but it works for me...
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Victorcg
Posts: 91
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 08:59

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by Victorcg » 20 Jan 2012, 18:18

Is it possible to create interactive extrusion with % of strand length?

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by SamHowell » 06 Sep 2012, 14:36

Sorry to revive an old thread, I have a problem may be someone else has also experienced. Maybe not but it's worth a stab.

I have meshed some dynamic strands using the Generate Extrusion along strand. All good works fine. I then add a weightmap filter to the strands and the extrusion ceases to work. Has anyone else got around this problem? If there's no solution I'll stop using weightmaps and find another way.

If anyone knows anything about this, even to just tell me there is no solution I will be very gratefull.

Fingers crossed. ~x(

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by SamHowell » 07 Sep 2012, 08:51

SamHowell wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, I have a problem may be someone else has also experienced. Maybe not but it's worth a stab.

I have meshed some dynamic strands using the Generate Extrusion along strand. All good works fine. I then add a weightmap filter to the strands and the extrusion ceases to work. Has anyone else got around this problem? If there's no solution I'll stop using weightmaps and find another way.

If anyone knows anything about this, even to just tell me there is no solution I will be very gratefull.

Fingers crossed. ~x(
And the solution? (of sorts)

Just use Polynoids deform by strand compound instead.

Onwards! \:D/

Gabba
Posts: 35
Joined: 18 Apr 2010, 12:31

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by Gabba » 21 Mar 2013, 18:09

caledonian_tartan wrote:

Code: Select all

1) How can get a flat mesh from strands(for grass), when NB subdivision is 1 or 2 I get a flat mesh but with duplicate edges
2) Don`t understand how get e textute projection, Auto UV not give a clusters with projection!
1) in the example he plugs a curve circle as a custum shape into the extrude compound. seems to work, although i had no luck with that...
2) on your polymesh connect "this.StrandToMesh_Texture_Projection" to "this.cls.Texture_Coordinates_AUTO.Texture_Projection.UVWs" (or whatever projection you have. you need to have one already and then overwrite the UVWs). don't know if this is the official way, but it works for me...
Hi, sorry if I bother you but... how do you connect those attributes? In the ICE tree or whatelse? I can't get the texture projection...

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by adrencg » 06 Jun 2013, 19:49

Been playing with this great compound today. How did you get the taper in the strands from the first picture in the thread? Is there way to use an fCurve to define the shape along the length of the extrusions?

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by druitre » 17 Jun 2013, 16:36

adrencg wrote:How did you get the taper in the strands from the first picture in the thread?
Look in the example Kristinka scene in the first post, and then in the simulation pointcloud's ICEtree. It has a calculate strand ratios + fcurve that's doing the tapering.

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Create Extrusion Along Strands V2

Post by adrencg » 02 Mar 2015, 20:48

Can someone go into some detail on how the automatic UV's work? It doesn't seem so automatic.